Author Topic: Tip-up rig for perch  (Read 26211 times)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip-up rig for perch
« on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I was planning on rigging up some new tp's for perch, what do you guys recommend?  ???
CEO

camo_fish

Re: Tip-up rig for perch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2006, 08:36 PM »
6# mono line atleast 3 feet of line from the tipup backing with a #12 treble hook.

If your fishing over 10 foot of water you can add a 3-way swivel in the mix about 2-3 feet from the bottom hook with a little 6-8 inch mono leader with another #12 treble.

You can always throw 2 or 3 beads on the mono leaders too.  ;)

I use emeralds, fatheads or shinners for bait.

:tipup: Fish On!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I use almost the same rig as camo; except gold trebles, and I'll sometimes go 4# if I think there are crappies to be had. Of course that rig will be the one that gets smacked by a chunky bass or pickerel, but oh well....Also try some medium shiners if you have real perch (10''or over) in your lake or pond.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Heavy black nylon line. Barrel swivel. small split shot. 18" of 4-6 lb mono leader. #6 red hook. Big shiner. The perch in our area are rarely smaller than 9-10 inches with the big ones 14-16 inches. Most common is the 11-12 inch perch. I could not imagine using a #12 trebel hook.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2006, 03:00 PM »
I've been experimenting for several seasons now, and tried Tru-turn, circle, and standard hooks from #4-8. The small treble hooked just under the skin behind the dorsal still hooks the most for me. Often I'm jigging, so I don't tend to run to my traps, rather stroll over and check things out.  I do like the red hooks, and use them as droppers, sometimes. The lake I fish most (if it freezes) holds some large perch, too, though the typical catch is 10-14''.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2006, 09:18 AM »
I've always found that perch seem to prefer movement like jigging.  A fat boy with a 1/2 minnow lightly jigged slays em.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2006, 12:34 PM »
My favorite tip-up rig for perch is a Windlass tip-up, black braided line, black barrel swivel, rigged with 3' of 4# flouro and a gold dropper spoon with a small treble and a minnow 8-12" below the spoon. This only works on mild days, and on lakes that don't have too many pickerel; because it drives them nuts! Last year I cut one off while playing it, then less than a hr. later I caught him again and reclaimed my gold treble. When conditions are favorable this rig hammers big perch, and it will catch bass as well. Unfortunately, the conditiond aren't often ideal, though here in PA we do have days when it is around freezing, and not too gusty. For the record, I prefer jigging perch as well; but this thread was asking for advice on setting tip-ups.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I use the same set-up, except I put some orange or red beads, one or two above and below the blade.  The movement of the minnow sets the blade to moving, and the beads to rattling.  I also use a red circle hook, size 6 or 8(I think).   I actually learned this rig from last years InFisherman Ice Fishing edition.  Got lots more out of it too!! ;D

I generally don't fish in water with pickerel, so that isn't a problem for me, and I have also gotten bass on them.  It is my main set up, but I am no expert on ice fishing...I am here to learn more than teach.
I love a flag!!!!

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:12 PM »
i think its a waste of time....try finger fishing for em

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2006, 02:00 PM »
few years ago we were fishing pike and the perch started to bite on just a regular hook and leader had a medium shiner on

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2006, 12:17 PM »
I seldom use a tipup for perch.  In my area if the fishing is slow enough for a tip up when perch fishing, Im in the wrong spot.   We are allowed 5 lines here, but once I find the perch, two is all I can keep up with. 

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Tip down with crappie minnows works great for Perch. 

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:57 AM »
i think its a waste of time....try finger fishing for em
Is that when you put your hand beneath the hole and wiggle your fingers with peanut butter on them  ???  :roflmao: Sorry had toooo.  :roflmao:

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2008, 11:00 AM »
hi anyone have a picture of there set up would like to rig a couple tipups up for perch thanks for any info you can give

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Heavy gut line with longer 5-6ft tippet of 4lb. vanish flurocarbon #14-#22 trebles and fatheads n small sucker minnows or crappie minnows depending on how the fish are feeding that day. Set superlight and as soon as that flag goes get on it! Waiting or not getting to your boards quick equals missed fish! Keep em' close and jig them often. Goodluck
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline hunter13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2008, 07:25 AM »
thanks for the info  never realy fished perch on tip ups figure ill give it a try ill let yea know how i did

hunter13

"Grab your rod and git-r-done!"  VERMONT

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Try a tip down. Low drag and good results
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:06 PM »
I don't target perch on tip-up,have caught some jumbo's in the 14 plus inch class, Polar's set on the lightest of the 4 settings,6 to 8 lb mono leader large spilt shot and med.fathead or med. shiner,tru turn 6 or 4,get on them quick or they drop it,some of my best luck came after the drop,i've jig them back or reset flag and waited a min. or two and they have come back.

Offline JISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:46 PM »
Definitely not a waste of time and is a great way to stay on fish.  I like to set my perch flags and use them as indicators of fish moving into an area while i am jigging with the vex and covering more ground nearby.  I will drill an extra hole or two by my flags and when one pops with a JUMBI i will reset it and jig in the pre drilled holes around it so that i can try and stay on the fish as they move through...

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Heavy black nylon line. Barrel swivel. small split shot. 18" of 4-6 lb mono leader. #6 red hook. Big shiner. The perch in our area are rarely smaller than 9-10 inches with the big ones 14-16 inches. Most common is the 11-12 inch perch. I could not imagine using a #12 trebel hook.
  I want to fish where you get those jumbos.

Offline wi iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hey it's sunny out!"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I use a short wire leader of 8 lb. test. (The wire is mainly for if I hook up with a northern) I use a small #10 treble hook and a red blade on the leader to give off flash. For bait I hook a small 2" crappie minnow through the back.  :tipup:
Ice is on the lake so we're goin' fishin'!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I use white braided nylon line with a 10 pound test fluorocarbon leader that has a little glow in the dark bead on it. For bait, I use shiners. I set the rig on bottom; very seldom will I catch a perch on a tip-up with bait just under the ice.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:04 PM »
a hook with sinker below it

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Definitely not a waste of time and is a great way to stay on fish.  I like to set my perch flags and use them as indicators of fish moving into an area while i am jigging with the vex and covering more ground nearby.  I will drill an extra hole or two by my flags and when one pops with a JUMBI i will reset it and jig in the pre drilled holes around it so that i can try and stay on the fish as they move through...
nice tip, cant wait to try it.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I use HT Polar tip-ups for perch any time its too cold for my tip-downs.  Since they are more time consuming to keep setting up I rig them with bass minnows to limit the dinks from triggering the flags.  I use a 3' #6 flouro leader with a #8 Gamakatsu red treble.  I will also use HT Windless tip-ups that I rig with a Road Runner jig head or a Rapala and have had great success with them too.  It is great for a few bonus jacks every outing.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Catch lots of perch (and Crappie) while fishing for trout.

Here's my set up :

a 3 to 6 foot leader of Fluorocarbon fishing line, usually 8 lb test.

#14 to #18 treble hooks on a quick strike rig.

I like this rig because it doesn't kill the minnow, and is hard for the trout to detect.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Caught a couple on my HT polar tipups yesterday afternoon with
4' leader
#12 hook
with fathead about 10' down in about 15' of water not sure how the weeds were under me.

Had 1 not trigger the flag on one but I think it's because I had it on the heavier pull setting.
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I use Polar tip ups spooled with 20lb Dacron with a 6lb leader about 20 inches long. A split shot about 6 inches up from a no.6 colored Gamakatsu octopus hook with a fathead minnow reversed.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.