IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

circle hooks

(1/1)

brookiebomber477:
anybody ever had any luck using circle hooks under your tipups? i've used them with chunks of bait fishing for stripers and they work ok...but i don't know if they would work for trout. Let me know!

Wellsy:
If you have used them before than you know the fish has to be swimming away from you to get the best result in hook setting. And you should do a good calculation on hook gap to be sure the species you are targeting have enough mouth room for hook turn.
I have used them with good success when I am fishing C&R for Bass, Pickerel, etc, and for perch on tippers or drop shot.
Don't know why but trout seem to leave an empty flag when I've used circle hooks, but I only tried a couple of times on trout.

Good Luck,
Wellsy

p.s
Why are you chunking for stripers, get your waders out and beat the surf for the top water theres nothing better than a fat cow running you ragged in the waves. ;D

AugustWest:

--- Quote from: Wellsy on Jan 22, 2007, 11:35 AM ---If you have used them before than you know the fish has to be swimming away from you to get the best result in hook setting. And you should do a good calculation on hook gap to be sure the species you are targeting have enough mouth room for hook turn.
I have used them with good success when I am fishing C&R for Bass, Pickerel, etc, and for perch on tippers or drop shot.
Don't know why but trout seem to leave an empty flag when I've used circle hooks, but I only tried a couple of times on trout.

Good Luck,
Wellsy

What he said...they are for agressive fish! I have used them in the Florida Keys...for a purpose!
Fresh water...they seem to work good on traps and slipbobbers...just pay attention because if the fish feels weight...he will drop it real quick.
 Big Fish...it's a no brainer ;)
p.s
Why are you chunking for stripers, get your waders out and beat the surf for the top water theres nothing better than a fat cow running you ragged in the waves. ;D

--- End quote ---

GrnDay33:
I use circle hooks under all of my tip-ups. Gander Mountain now has they own brand ( Guide Series ) of circle ooks and they are cheap. They always hook the fish in the corner of the mouth and seem to almost hook themselves. Very few missed fish with circle hooks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version