IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Help! What is the best ice fishing line?

(1/8) > >>

Prairiegoat:
I just got back into ice fishing after more than a couple of decades and products have changed dramatically. I know this has probably been discussed at length previously, but I would like to know which line is best for jigging say in a 4# test, which heavier mono in 8 to 10# is best for larger fish jigging, and what are the poundage and line type recommendations for tip ups for northern.

On a side note what is the best way to attach a jig to light line to get the best action and presentation? Swivel or direct tie? How about small panfish lures?

tbirdbassr:
I use 2lb trilene micro ice for gills, craps, and perch 8 lb. micro ice for walleyes 27 lb dacron on my tips for northerns

Prairiegoat:
Hey thanks, tbirdbassr.

Man it is daunting the equipment out there now. Power augers, underwater cameras, sonars, portable shanties... and on and on.

diehard22:
I like a 25lb nylon braid for tip ups over a mono because they seem to be easier to spool up and re-spool (it doesn't tangle and curle up) Don't forget leaders for pike - sorry if that is obvious to you don't know how much you fish
I'm not sure if you are asking for brand names but any of the normal names will probably be fine, I like stren, does the trick.
About swivel or direct tie, direct tie would be fine, I'd use a small swivel clip if you want to change lures a lot and don't want to freeze your hands retying. As far as panfish I know there's lots of people on here who dedicate there time on the ice to them that would tell you plenty on the intricate details, but basically any type of small to tiny minnows, power grubs, jigging lures or worms seem to have done good for me.
In my experience if the fish are biting,
it doesn't really matter what your doing as long as the lines in the water

lotwfisher:
I use P-line Fluroclear. For crappies i use 3# or 4# test line. I tie direct. Swivels just adds more stuff that isnt needed down there.

Robin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version