The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: If a guy wanted to...  (Read 1105 times)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
If a guy wanted to...
« on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Plan a 3 day trip to Devils Lake from Michigan twords the end of Janury to do some perch, walleye, pike or anytihng else that wants to bite fishing what would be a good way to start?

Any suggestions of a cheap place to crash at night? Dont need anything fancy, just a bed and a shower.

Any suggestions to some access points of the lake? Boat launches, parks, etc...

I realize its a big arse lake, but can you walk to any fishing areas or is travel best by snowmachine/atv?

I see theres quite a few guides around the lake, but we're trying to keep this cheap. We arent afraid to put in some serious leg work and would prefer to do it on our own.

We have all the equipment rods, flashers, shantys, gas auger etc...

If anyone could help with any info that would be great. Feel free to shoot me a PM or post here. Ive started doing some research online, but its not exactly getting anywhere fast. Too much stuff to sort through.

Thanks in advance, CP
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: If a guy wanted to...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Even tho I now live in NE I grew up in ND and have fished DL often.  I used Jeff Dosch guide service he is very good and also had at that time a cheap rental house if you wanted to use.  He put us on fish every day we were there and were great fun to be around!
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:08 PM »
I live in North Dakota but have not fished Devils Lake for five years because I have to drive three hours past the lake house to get to Devils Lake.  If I were to plan a do it yourself trip there without people to point me in the right direction, I would start by contacting Woodlands Resort, Ed's Bait Shop, and the DL Chamber of Commerce.  (all contacts are found on Google)  Access on Devils Lake is great under normal snow circumstances due to the Chamber of Commerce plowing ice roads.  My best experiences in that area were not on Devils Lake but on Lake Irvine.  Irvine is about fifteen miles to the east of DL and since the lake has become so large, they are essentially the same body of water.  Great pike fishing with some eyes mixed in.  I have stayed in the DL Super 8.  It is a Super 8.  Cheap and kind of grundgy but right on the highway and close to restaurants and bars.  Focus on the ice house concentrations, the houses are there for a reason.  A three day do it yourself trip will probably not allow you enough time to find your secret spot anyways.  Good luck!  Devils Lake can be great or not so great......
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Take it from someone who travels from Michigan to fish Devils Lake...that is a bunch of water and it changes yearly due to all the flooding that happens in the springtime.  I would highly recommend a guide service (either Dosch or the Perch Patrol who I have fished with plus also have met Jeff Dosch on the ice) and it is well worth the $$$ for an enjoyable time. I know times are tough and every dollar counts but you are already spending all your hard earned cash on gas and a hotel room. If you don't go with a guide service you better for sure have a good way to get around on the ice/snow since a 150K+ acres is an awful lot of water to cover!! Also, I would recommend a good lake map or a gps!!

It is great fishing but having been there myself a couple of times and feel I am a pretty good fisherman it would be overwhelming to me to go at it blind. Keep in mind the icefishing guides all fish it during the summer as well so they KNOW where the fish are!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Apreciate the replies fellas.  :tipup:
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Thank You!  For serving my country!!!
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I just picked up 2 Hot Spot maps I'll be listing them shortly. These got access pts, GPS Coordinates to prime spots etc.etc. etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.