Author Topic: Cooking crappie  (Read 17656 times)

Offline MR.CRAPPIEMN

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooking crappie
« on: Dec 29, 2016, 04:38 PM »
 Just wondering how you guys cook your crappie. They seem to be soggy!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cooking crappie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I pat the fillets with paper towels. Roll in flour, then egg wash, then Panko, then fry in hot oil.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Dip dry fillets in yellow or a spicy mustard yes mustard then your favorite breading and fry in hot peanut oil.perfect

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 10:53 AM »
I pat the fillets with paper towels. Roll in flour, then egg wash, then Panko, then fry in hot oil.
      I do same thing, but with Italian bread crumbs.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2016, 11:04 AM »
      I do same thing, but with Italian bread crumbs.
crappie are very mild tasting fish,you got to spice up your shake or batter. I deep fry at 350-375 degrees till fillets float and that no to long. Drain on paper towels and eat. Crappie fillets are softer flesh but not soggy.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Drying them with a paper towel helps the first flour layer sick before you put it in the egg wash. If you can get it in your neck of the lake try adding Old Bay seasoning to your flour.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:48 AM »
When you take them out of the fryer, instead of putting them on papertowel, where they kind of just sit in oil, i put them on a rack, with pt underneath....then the oil falls through the rack as opposed to resoaking into the fillets......love crappie!!

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Dip dry fillets in yellow or a spicy mustard yes mustard then your favorite breading and fry in hot peanut oil.perfect

I'm going to try that if I can remember it next time I cook fish

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 12:19 PM »
If they are soggy, I am guessing you aren't letting the oil get up to the proper temp before putting the fish in, or you are overcrowding the pan.

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Dip in milk, roll in Shore Lunch and 4 minutes in the deep fryer set at 350 degrees. They are very good, mild, but not as sweet as yellow perch.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:17 PM »
As stated, first you have to pat dry the filet. Or if you use a wetter filet you need to give the breaded fish a half hour to dry through. Otherwise when the filets hit hot grease the water in batter reacts with the oil and your breading is compromised and soaks up oil. Second is over crowding the pan or fryer basket. This is a sure fire way to make a soggy batch of fish. Lastly if you can find a cooling rack that sits a half inch off the counter it is a great way to drain off all remaining oil and get a beautiful crispy exterior.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Top start with I have been doing most of my cooking with an air fryer. Maybe you sacrifice a little taste but you use no oil so no doubt it is healthier with way less calories. Not much different than most of the above. Pat dry the fillets, dip in a well mixed  bowl of egg and buttermilk, dredge thoroughly in your mix of choice; I like Panko style and seasoned Italian bread crumbs. You can also add some Parmesan to the bread crumbs. Then carefully lay them in the basket without overlapping. Cook for 6min. and turn over for an additional 4 at 370 degrees. Usually I just serve with some home made tartar, but at this point you can add whatever floats your boat. Here was tonight's batch caught late yesterday. Pretty tasty!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Easy way out. 1 cup original Shore lunch to one cup Cajun Shore lunch. Dip dry fillet in egg, then combined shore lunch. Deep fry at 350.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I stopped using egg wash, I just get them somewhat dry and use Andy's in what flavor you like. Hit them good with Andy's and then in the fry daddy, it is key to let your oil reach temp and not overcrowd.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:11 PM »
i use a paper towel. throw the crappie away, eat the paper towel.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:20 PM »
As I fillet them, I rinse them in the coldest possible water my tap provides and then put them in an ice water bath. The cold temperature firms up the fillets (especially when fresh). After they've all been filleted and bathed, I pat them completely dry with paper towels (Viva’s work great for this).

For the coating, I make a batter.
Dry ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
Salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 tbsp baking powder (makes them super crispy)
Wet ingredients:
Ice cold water or beer enough so the batter LIGHTLY coats the back of a spoon.

Lightly coat the fillets and pan fry until golden brown in your oil of choice. I like almond or walnut oil. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Upon removal from the pan, salt immediately and drain on a rack over paper towels. This is a great recipe for bluegill as well.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:20 AM »
Interesting might have to give it a try next fry

Offline mdredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Im all about the low carb diets so I roll the fillets in parmesan cheese then egg was and then roll them in crushed pork rinds and fry............. BEST FISH EVER!!!!!!!! 

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:41 AM »
In my experience they weren’t soggy but as far as  texture goes they aren’t as firm as gills and such making them seem soggy. I dredge them in seasoned flour and then into a batter I make of minced onion , flower, baking powder, and a lite beer. Lightly fry and then stage in the oven on a rack over a sheet pan, this keeps them from becoming mushy while you finish frying  the other filets.

PS IM A CHEF
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2019, 06:10 AM »
Been doing the healthier methods this winter. Pre heat over to 400 degrees. Dip fillets in egg wash then into crumbs of your choice. I brush a coating of olive oil on a cookie sheet. Lay breaded fillets on cookie sheet cook 5-6 minutes and flip them for 5 more minutes....done Taco time... tomatoes,avocado,onion,sour cheese hot sauce cheese or whatever else is in the fridge. I've been eating a lot of soft tacos,so many combos... so good easy clean up compared to the deep fryer.lol

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Throw some (a lot) kosher salt in that overnight water bath and now you've got something!   ;)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Been doing the healthier methods this winter. Pre heat over to 400 degrees. Dip fillets in egg wash then into crumbs of your choice. I brush a coating of olive oil on a cookie sheet. Lay breaded fillets on cookie sheet cook 5-6 minutes and flip them for 5 more minutes....done Taco time... tomatoes,avocado,onion,sour cheese hot sauce cheese or whatever else is in the fridge. I've been eating a lot of soft tacos,so many combos... so good easy clean up compared to the deep fryer.lol

If not going above 420F, skip the oil in the pan and put down parchment paper. It crisps up the coating better. My wife's trick that has really upped my baked fish game.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I dry my fillets with paper towels, dip in a egg/milk wash, and cover in corn meal with spices that I've added.  I prefer corn meal since it makes a nice, thin coat assuring a crunchy finish.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:23 PM »
1:1:1 cornmeal:flour:cornstarch. Season the flour with old bay and release the fillets into lake crisco @350 degrees F. Cook until golden brown
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:41 PM »
I like dipping in milk, adding some light seasoning to Panko, roll 'em in that,  then into the oiled fry pan.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:11 PM »
I soak my fillets of crappie perch and gills in milk for 45min or longer.

Then I beat some eggs and milk up to make my egg wash.

Then I make my breading. Flour, black pepper, salt, lowery salt, a little taco seasoning, Crushed crackers, parmesan cheese....

Wash the fish from soaking in milk and dry them. Dip in egg/milk batter. Then shake in the seasoning shaker. Then deep fry.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:15 PM »
they can be soft yes.  blacks are better than whites. imo  also I split ther fillets and pan fry them longer to crisp.  shake in some famous andy's and toss in grease.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:22 PM »
Louisiana fish fry mix, shake of the excess and released into lake crisco.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.