Author Topic: burbot fishing?  (Read 18352 times)

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
burbot fishing?
« on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:42 PM »
i am going to try shore fishing 4 burbot this year. it will not be on the ice. it will be  on lake erie. i know they like stinky things and move in to the shallows at night.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: burbot fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:38 AM »
Well the burbot out here in BC pass up something stinky in favour of fresh bait. Just toss your fresh fish bait as far as your rod will cast. Prop it up and reel in the slack. Sit back, socialize and wait for the bite. Once a burby is onto your bait, let him bite good before you set the hook. I have my best luck when it is quiet and no light, ie campfire on shore. I usually put a bell on my rod tip and go back from shore some and wait for the dinner bell ringing :P Good luck.

Offline joey s

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2007, 06:58 PM »
i just read this post and thanks i have been trying to get one for years lol!!!
some guys here in kelowna like to hog them to them selves
i will try fresh bait what do you use  ??? i was told to use rotten liver no luck yet

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Welcome aboard fellow BCer. Any bait that is fishy or one of my favorite is squid which you can get frozen from your local supermarket. Good luck.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007, 11:32 PM »
Next time you catch any fish save the parts you usually throw out in the freezer.  These will work for ling bait. Be sure to check your regulations though. I usually use a pretty good chunk of bait maybe the size of a roll of dimes as even the little ones are just swimming mouths.  TGF is right about waiting to set the hook. They will nibble on the bait before they finally decide to take it. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Welcome aboard fellow BCer. Any bait that is fishy or one of my favorite is squid which you can get frozen from your local supermarket. Good luck.

makes sense...squid is killer through the ice to as i found out this year...also caught a lot of BIG perch with forage minnow tipped with a tentacle
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:31 PM »
i am going to try shore fishing 4 burbot this year. it will not be on the ice. it will be  on lake erie. i know they like stinky things and move in to the shallows at night.

I think that would be a tough approach.  The only time I've ever found them in shallow water is when they're spawning in Feb but still under the ice.  Normally, they hang out in the dark and deep.  Like somebody else mentioned, dead bait is fine but I've always found that it still needs to be fresh dead not stinky dead.  Dogfish, often confused with burbot, are a different story entirely...I wouldn't waste my time on those nasty fish. 
Chris Raymond

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time on those nasty fish. 

hahahahaha.

the only ling we've caught have been in 15 - 20 fow
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2007, 05:38 PM »
i just read this post and thanks i have been trying to get one for years lol!!!
some guys here in kelowna like to hog them to them selves
i will try fresh bait what do you use  ??? i was told to use rotten liver no luck yet

Welcome to the boards, joey. Good luck to ya
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2007, 11:08 AM »
If allowed to use live bait a good size  live minnow  on the bottom works good or   good chuck  bloody meat works good also.
hook and cook

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Seems like dark of the moon fishing works best opposed to full or quarter moon
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:33 PM »
I like it during a full moon when the moon light hits the ice.  One night I noticed when the clouds obscured the moon, I would get no bites.  As soon as the sky opened up, I was getting lots of bites.  I have since paid attention to the ling moon relation and have seen this numerous times.  This all occured on a lake with little or no snow on the ice where the light could make a difference.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.