Author Topic: ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIME ICE GUY  (Read 3704 times)

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIME ICE GUY
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:46 PM »
FIRST LET ME SAY I AM NOT NEW TO FISHING, IVE BEEN FISHING FOR ABOUT ANYTHING THAT SWIMS FOR WELL OVER 30YRS SO I UNDERSTAND SEASONAL PATTERNS, SAY FOR INSTANCE, WHY BASS MOVE SHALLOW IN THE SPRING/HOW TO CATCH THEM AND SO ON.
SO I GUESS MY QUESTION IS WHERE WOULD I WANT TO START? SAY FOR PANFISH AS SOON AS THE ICE IS SAFE??? I'LL BE FISHING IN THE METRO LAKES JUST SO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT KIND OF STRUCTURE/COVER I'LL BE LOOKING AT.. IVE READ A TON OF ICE ARTICLES BUT I WOULD RATHER HEAR ADVICE FROM SOMEONE LOCAL THAN GO OFF WHAT AN ARTICLE FROM WATERS WAY UP NORTH I WONT FISH TELLS ME....

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIME ICE GUY
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:48 PM »
I guess my first questions would be your equipment.... what do you have, what are you using?  including safety gear, are you fully equipped for that WSHTF moment?

I'll let the real guru's fill you in on hot spots they want to share but for me our group it starts in the summer when you scout lakes for structure and cover.  Fish are slow now and they are very picky.  Drop a camera down next to your jig once and you'll see that crappie float circles around that jig 3 times before he decides what he's going to do.  Really cool in a way to learn how they act in the winter.  Anyway, they're slow so cover is their best friend.  Some lakes are great night bite, others aren't even worth looking at after 1pm.  take notes as you go and scout like crazy!  it's well worth the time and effort!

but above all,  HAVE A SPUD BAR to keep your ass dry and USE COMMON SENSE... that feeling of your butt hole perking up... yeah, follow that instinct and what it tells you.

Good Luck and welcome to the addiction!!!!!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Where were the panfish before the freeze?  Start there.

General movements in late fall are towards deeper water, but you can still find some panfish shallower than the deepest water at first ice.  If there is submerged aquatic vegetation that is still green, fish it.  Cover objects of any kind can attract and hold panfish, fish them.  The best shallow and mid-depth areas will tend to have deep water nearby.

"Drill baby, drill".  Drill lots of holes, look for fish, when you find them you will know.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I have fished from my boat in winter before when we had open water and found fish (crappies) suspended over the deep water but I thought maybe there would be other winter areas to find fish, im sure there is and I will be searching very soon I hope.. I guess theres no stupid questions but what the H is a spud bar?? I have some spike things with grips a buddy gave me to climb out of the water if I was to fall through. as for gear I have a used clam flip over hut I think its called? bought a few frabill combos and some small jigs,spoons and other tackle and already had a lil buddy heater I use for tent camping. I also already have a ice 55 flasher that I use along with my other hummingbird SI unit in my boat and am wondering will the transducer that it came with work on ice??? im guessing yes but wanna make sure before I go out and possibly have no working sonar.. only thing I have to get is an auger, buddy told me to spend the extra money and get a gas/propane powered one because a hand auger will wear you out unless you get lucky and find active fish from the get go or if your content sitting on a hole with nothing below or no biting fish below and im not lucky that much and I know for sure I cant sit long if I kinow theres no active fish around so maybe I should go gas powered???

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:30 PM »
A spud bar is to check the thickness of the ice and the strength of the ice. Probably the single most important item to have with you when ice fishing. I think the speedy spud is the best spud out there. It's not cheap but cuts through the ice quickly and you can open old holes with it quicker too. Just be sure to attach a rope to the spud and tie a knot with a loop to put around your wrist so the spud doesn't end up at the bottom of the lake. I don't use a power auger but if I did I would look towards getting an electric or propane. I wouldn't want to deal with gas.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Welcome to ice fishing,
 As "The New Guy" I would first try and find an experienced ice fisherman to show you the basic's on SAFETY items then think about the rest of the addiction - Spud bar, PFD, and picks of life should be your first expense.
Good luck.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Welcome to ice fishing,
 As "The New Guy" I would first try and find an experienced ice fisherman to show you the basic's on SAFETY items then think about the rest of the addiction - Spud bar, PFD, and picks of life should be your first expense.
Good luck.
                     Floating suit!!

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:22 PM »
them spike things my buddy gave me have a string that goes around my neck, not so sure I want to lug a crow bar type thing around with me... my buddy who gave me the spikes has been fishing on ice as long as ive fished open water so im sure I can learn a lot from him, hes been trying to get me to ice fish with him for a very long time but I have always thought it will be boring but I go crazy all winter when the waters frozen so I figured heck it would be better than staring at maps or getting my gear ready over and over all winter so im gonna give it a go, just hope its as fun as they all say.. when I think about it im gonna kick myself in the A!! if I like it and have been torturing myself all these winters lol!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Welcome to the addiction.   Great site with great people.   Just don't eat the yellow snow.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:04 PM »
If you got someone to go with do it. It will give you a chance to se the equipment in action. Give you an idea of what you need to get started and the rest you can add to your wish list! Yes it is as fun as everyone says!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:19 PM »
If you got someone to go with do it. It will give you a chance to se the equipment in action. Give you an idea of what you need to get started and the rest you can add to your wish list! Yes it is as fun as everyone says!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:31 PM »
the first thing you must always bring is Toilet Paper. Fishing the the rest of the day with  only one sock sucks......
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:48 PM »
FIRST LET ME SAY I AM NOT NEW TO FISHING, IVE BEEN FISHING FOR ABOUT ANYTHING THAT SWIMS FOR WELL OVER 30YRS SO I UNDERSTAND SEASONAL PATTERNS, SAY FOR INSTANCE, WHY BASS MOVE SHALLOW IN THE SPRING/HOW TO CATCH THEM AND SO ON.
SO I GUESS MY QUESTION IS WHERE WOULD I WANT TO START? SAY FOR PANFISH AS SOON AS THE ICE IS SAFE??? I'LL BE FISHING IN THE METRO LAKES JUST SO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT KIND OF STRUCTURE/COVER I'LL BE LOOKING AT.. IVE READ A TON OF ICE ARTICLES BUT I WOULD RATHER HEAR ADVICE FROM SOMEONE LOCAL THAN GO OFF WHAT AN ARTICLE FROM WATERS WAY UP NORTH I WONT FISH TELLS ME....

I grew up ice fishing, but still spent the first two years on this forum just searching and reading, copying and pasting.  You can learn a lot by asking questions on here from folks that know a lot more than I do.  However, you can learn a ton more by searching old posts from people that used to share a lot of information in the open before they got burned on a fishing spot and now don't post at all.

So the 'take home lesson' is.....there is a ton of information on this site that won't be answered today that may have already be answered 2 years ago.....use the search function.

Hope that helps.  Good luck to all of you this year!!!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Have fun, stay safe....and keep it simple!

Offline 15inches

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I agree with Harry use the KISS method first (Keep It Simple Stupid). After you find that you enjoy it, there is a world of gear and gadgets that can make ice fishing more comfortable and fun. As far as finding all the hot spots that's up to you. Nobody wants to give up that information.
"Anyone can be a fisherman in May"
                    - Ernest Hemingway

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Agree with the KISS approach ...develop your style ..run n gun ...tip up fisherman etc. Find a buddy to go with ..experienced or not can cover more water and get on fish ...plus you'll need someone to take the pictures ...selfies don't rock much in fishing . Good equipment trumps cheap equipment ..you will save money in the long run by buying quality gear ..rods, reels, suits n boots . Good luck.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:53 AM »
the first thing you must always bring is Toilet Paper. Fishing the the rest of the day with  only one sock sucks......
These are words to live by!

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I have fished from my boat in winter before when we had open water and found fish (crappies) suspended over the deep water but I thought maybe there would be other winter areas to find fish, im sure there is and I will be searching very soon I hope.. I guess theres no stupid questions but what the H is a spud bar?? I have some spike things with grips a buddy gave me to climb out of the water if I was to fall through. as for gear I have a used clam flip over hut I think its called? bought a few frabill combos and some small jigs,spoons and other tackle and already had a lil buddy heater I use for tent camping. I also already have a ice 55 flasher that I use along with my other hummingbird SI unit in my boat and am wondering will the transducer that it came with work on ice??? im guessing yes but wanna make sure before I go out and possibly have no working sonar.. only thing I have to get is an auger, buddy told me to spend the extra money and get a gas/propane powered one because a hand auger will wear you out unless you get lucky and find active fish from the get go or if your content sitting on a hole with nothing below or no biting fish below and im not lucky that much and I know for sure I cant sit long if I kinow theres no active fish around so maybe I should go gas powered???

Take some time, read this over, watch the videos. ;)

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2014/11/safety-first/

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:04 PM »
If you all don't already know this, anything Mr B tells you is something you can pretty much take to the bank! So when he offers sites to look at it is worth it to invest the time.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Shaun7HL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:34 PM »
good boots and spikes, good quality suit preferable one that floats, and most important life spikes around your neck
#Marcum #OtterOutdoors #Frabill #StrikeMaster #TrapperTackle #Brasky

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 PM »
good boots and spikes, good quality suit preferable one that floats, and most important life spikes around your neck

I would say the most important thing would be a spud, then spikes around the neck.

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:18 PM »
I would say the most important thing would be a spud, then spikes around the neck.

When fishing alone or as the "leader on the ice" in a team, there are THREE things one should NOT be without:

-Spud Bar

-Ice Cleats on your boots

-Ice Spikes

As Mr. B has pointed out numerous times- SAFETY FIRST!

The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:27 PM »

Only now do I understand.......I had  been using snow. I too got tired of only one sock.
Thread killer

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:33 AM »
thanks for the info guys, ive got plenty of gear(hut,heater,boot spikes,neck spikes,rods,reels,tackle etc...) and almost spent a bit on some bibs and pants until I took my hut outside a couple weeks ago when it was -20 wind chill and with my lil heater it was warm enough inside for jeans and a shirt, also my buddy told me a piece of carpet helps the feet stay warmer.. and I made a spud bar that's very light with the weight on the end to make it easy to poke the ice. ive got another question concerning flashers, long story short my ice 55 has went to heaven and im curious what some of you think about vexilar and Marcum? ive read good and not so good things on both but probably more negative reviews on vexilars. im leaning towards the same model ice 55 I had and would like to know if I can get a better unit from vexilar or Marcum for the same price as the ice 55 from humminbird???  oh I ended up goin with a hand powered auger, buddy says the ice around here usually doesent get thick enough to need a powered one, he said he has drilled a dozen holes with his in about 15 mins but that was when he didn't have a flasher and now doesent drill any holes until he see's fish and then he drills around the hole with marks before fishing so if they move he can find them easier.....

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I've used a Marcum LX-3 for a few seasons now and I like it - I don't know how well it compares to the features you'd get on a HBird Ice-55, but just to say that (at least IMO) Marcum units are decent.

I would agree with whoever told you a hand auger is good enough for down here and I generally have a similar strategy of finding fish and then drilling, although I will say that it works a lot better that way early season before the ice has a lot of imperfections in it.  Even then, I will use my hand auger to drill every 15 feet or so in a pattern corresponding to the depth of the lake.  I can drill 10 holes or so at a time with my 6" Lazer and then my body says "time for a break."  So late season is often drill first, then fish.  But often one of those 10 holes ends up being productive and when it stops another one of them will pick up.

Nate

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:44 PM »
10 holes?  I drill that many before my auger is even warmed up.

You are fishing one little bit of water right beneath you when you are ice-fishing.  The fish are either there or they ain't, and some days you have to drill a lot of holes to find them.  It may be on the first hole, it may be on the 501st hole.

Drill baby, drill!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Just to clarify, I go ten holes at a time. with the hand auger so I don't wear myself out.

And quite often, especially on bodies of water that I fish often, I'm on good fish by the 3rd hole I try and when that hole runs slow one of the other 9 heats up.  I usually end up drilling a set of 10 on 3 different occasions for your average day "trip" with a hand auger.  There have been days where I have caught good target-species fish out of that original set of holes from sun-up to noon and sometimes later, and I'm not a big believer in leaving fish to find fish.

On a lake where I'm less familiar or if I decide to target a different species, you can bet I'll be drilling more, but probably keeping it to 10 or so at a time as long as it's still just the hand auger - unless I have a gopher/slave along.

Nate

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:20 PM »
that's what I got, 6inch lazer. buddy said long as the blades stay sharp all the extra money for a gas powered auger aint worth the little bit of time it saves and not to mention the hand auger is way lighter. im sure I'll be fishing with him a lot so that's 2 augers plus his boy and my two boys, I don't foresee any problems turning the ice into swiss cheese with minimal effort.... I cant WAIT!! for the ice to get a few inches deeper so I can fish, got close a couple weeks ago and then...well you know. my buddy said the last few years there wasn't safe ice for the most part till around Christmas time or a little before... wish it would freeze up or just disappear so I could fish... he said it can be frustrating sometimes waiting for an inch or so of ice to take a few weeks to get to 4 inches to fish...

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:13 PM »
that's what I got, 6inch lazer. buddy said long as the blades stay sharp all the extra money for a gas powered auger aint worth the little bit of time it saves and not to mention the hand auger is way lighter. im sure I'll be fishing with him a lot so that's 2 augers plus his boy and my two boys, I don't foresee any problems turning the ice into swiss cheese with minimal effort.... I cant WAIT!! for the ice to get a few inches deeper so I can fish, got close a couple weeks ago and then...well you know. my buddy said the last few years there wasn't safe ice for the most part till around Christmas time or a little before... wish it would freeze up or just disappear so I could fish... he said it can be frustrating sometimes waiting for an inch or so of ice to take a few weeks to get to 4 inches to fish...

If you bought yourself a new lazer auger I would make sure they are the made in sweeden blades and not the junk made in china blades. They should say on the bottom of the blade.

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:23 AM »
If you bought yourself a new lazer auger I would make sure they are the made in sweeden blades and not the junk made in china blades. They should say on the bottom of the blade.

yeah im not sure where they were made but I will look for sure now. on that subject (my buddy has the same auger) my buddy told me when he got his new the blades were very dull after only about a half dozen outings drilling somewhere around 20-25 holes each time, so about 100 or so holes. he found some replacement blades that work on his lazer but I cant remember the brand or what he paid for them but that they last him 2 seasons before they need replaced and im not sure how many holes that adds up to but he fishes 3-4 times a week if not more as long as there is good ice so id say about 40-50 outings they last him compared to about a half dozen or so the originals lasted so maybe he got the china junk with his. not sure if he's aware some are Swedish made and some are Chinese made that they come with but I am gonna for sure check and if mine are made in china im gonna buy the ones he uses and toss em out so I don't end up fighting them after a few uses....
im glad you mentioned that, good call and thanks! oh and I ended up ordering a HB ice 55, found one on a web site and they have a holiday special where you get 50 bucks off with a order of 170 bucks or more I think it was plus a 55 dollar amex card from humminbird so I couldn't pass up the 105 dollars off the price plus like I said earlier ive used the 55 on my boat along with my other HB unit and am very familiar and confident with it so I figured why take a chance on a different brand in case I didn't like the way it worked and wasn't confident with it. one of the first things I was taught as a very young kid about fishing was if you don't have confidence in what pattern,presentation etc...your using then chances are your not gonna catch much and IMO I believe its absolutely true....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.