Author Topic: GPS Feedback  (Read 1056 times)

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
GPS Feedback
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:40 AM »
I'm looking to get a GPS to take with me when I go to larger bodies of water, as well as to use to mark spots/structure/hunting spots/etc. I know there are a lot of topics regarding this, but just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences and/or suggestions? Not trying to break the bank, but would like something reliable. Tried downloading the Navionics app on my phone, but for some reason it's not available on the google app store?

Thanks!

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GPS Feedback
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 02:35 PM »
I have the garmin etrex 20 with lake map chip and love it. Very handy to mark way points, easy to run.  There are others out there that are probably just as good or better but this was my fathers dad present a couple years ago and love it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 02:50 PM »
For me; GARMIN, just buy one in your price range and you will get many many years of use out of it!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Awesome, thanks for both of your responses.
I have the garmin etrex 20 with lake map chip and love it. Very handy to mark way points, easy to run.  There are others out there that are probably just as good or better but this was my fathers dad present a couple years ago and love it.

I was actually looking at the etrex, very good to hear. I'm guessing lakemaster chip?  those are state specific right?

Thanks again

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2013, 05:04 PM »
I got the Garmin lake map chip, it has all the KS, NE, SD, MN, WI lakes i fish on it.  They may not be the most contour spec. but it does very well for me.

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I have hade a Colorado 400i  for several years it has lake contours in it and you can also download or put micro sd chip in it.  What are your guys experience with hand held gps?  Mine is lucky to get you within 15' of a waypoint.  You defiantly can't mark a spot and return later and punch hole right on top of the place you marked.  It is WAAS if that means anything to someone.   

Offline bluethunder72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:11 AM »
i think i gonna buy one of those tablets for walmart on black friday for 49$ and then put the lake maps on it from google  play for 11 dollars  thats is the cheapest way i found
Dry side of the ice

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:39 AM »
 I wonder how those tablets would handle the extreme cold conditions when out on the lake?

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Navionics App is $10

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.navionics.singleAppUsa&hl=en

You already have your smart phone with you...
R3CON and I have used this for over 2 years now, its VERY easy to mark way points and then find them again when you want to go back.  Plus you can upload edits that are shared with the navionics community that way too.  So if you find some trees or brush in the water you can mark them and upload to the community so others know of this as well.  I've even used it to mark depths after last years drought.  several lakes were much lower than the navionics depth so i marked them and commented the depth with the date of that depth. 

Description
*****“The world’s top selling Marine & Lakes apps!” *****
For boaters, fishermen and water sports enthusiasts of all kinds.
IMPORTANT: This app is optimized for handset. If you have a tablet, please search our HD app.

CHARTS
Enjoy the same great detail you have on your GPS chartplotter! Award winning vector maps included in App price remain resident on your device so you can access them when outside internet coverage! Query chart objects anytime for descriptive details. Pan, zoom and measure distance.

ROUTES & TRACKS
Create and edit routes based on your cruising speed and fuel consumption. Record and view your tracks. Capture pictures (geo-tagged) along the way to create a virtual adventure log of your entire trip.

WEATHER & TIDES
Quickly access up-to-date tide, current, wind speed/direction & sun/moon cycle information. Save your favorite locations. Consult wind forecasts and tide and current predictions while planning trips.

COMMUNITY EDITS
2,000 edits every day! Benefit from timely localized data contributed by the Navionics Community! Wrecks, obstructions, buoys, beacons, lights, and more are visible as soon as posted. Read reviews of marinas, repair shops, etc.. Take advantage of this unique feature and be part of the community with your own contributions.

SEARCH
Access the largest database of marine POI’s available. Search by lat/long or category for Marina, Marine Repair, Boat Dealers, Waterfront restaurants, etc!

Email, Tweet or FB your routes, tracks, photos or markers! Your friends can learn about your day on the water by viewing the .kmz file you send them in Google Earth! It’s so cool!

MAP OPTIONS
Overlay Google Maps, Bing or Terrain.

SYNC
My Data – automatically sync your Markers, Routes, Tracks and Photos among all your mobile devices.

MAGAZINES & GUIDES
Download free articles from the world’s leading Marine publications! Geo-referenced and saved to a digital library for easy access anytime or anywhere!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline bluethunder72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2013, 02:28 PM »
im not sure on the cold weather part?? i guess for 60 bucks ill find out?????
Dry side of the ice

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Navionics App is $10

R3CON and I have used this for over 2 years now, its VERY easy to mark way points and then find them again when you want to go back.  Plus you can upload edits that are shared with the navionics community that way too.  So if you find some trees or brush in the water you can mark them and upload to the community so others know of this as well.  I've even used it to mark depths after last years drought.  several lakes were much lower than the navionics depth so i marked them and commented the depth with the date of that depth. 

Description
IMPORTANT: This app is optimized for handset. If you have a tablet, please search our HD app.

CHARTS
Enjoy the same great detail you have on your GPS chartplotter! Award winning vector maps included in App price remain resident on your device so you can access them when outside internet coverage! Query chart objects anytime for descriptive details. Pan, zoom and measure distance.

ROUTES & TRACKS
Create and edit routes based on your cruising speed and fuel consumption. Record and view your tracks. Capture pictures (geo-tagged) along the way to create a virtual adventure log of your entire trip.

WEATHER & TIDES
Quickly access up-to-date tide, current, wind speed/direction & sun/moon cycle information. Save your favorite locations. Consult wind forecasts and tide and current predictions while planning trips.

COMMUNITY EDITS
2,000 edits every day! Benefit from timely localized data contributed by the Navionics Community! Wrecks, obstructions, buoys, beacons, lights, and more are visible as soon as posted. Read reviews of marinas, repair shops, etc.. Take advantage of this unique feature and be part of the community with your own contributions.

SEARCH
Access the largest database of marine POI’s available. Search by lat/long or category for Marina, Marine Repair, Boat Dealers, Waterfront restaurants, etc!

Email, Tweet or FB your routes, tracks, photos or markers! Your friends can learn about your day on the water by viewing the .kmz file you send them in Google Earth! It’s so cool!

MAP OPTIONS

SYNC
My Data – automatically sync your Markers, Routes, Tracks and Photos among all your mobile devices.

MAGAZINES & GUIDES
Download free articles from the world’s leading Marine publications! Geo-referenced and saved to a digital library for easy access anytime or anywhere!

I bought this last year and absolutely love it. It is plenty accurate and has most every lake I fish.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Is the app 10 once or monthly fee

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Navionics App is $10

Description

CHARTS

ROUTES & TRACKS

WEATHER & TIDES

COMMUNITY EDITS

SEARCH

MAP OPTIONS

SYNC

MAGAZINES & GUIDES

Thanks!! I was searching forever for it in the Google play store and i couldn't get it to come up for me, not sure what the deal was. Just bought it, have heard good things from quite a few people. I will probably still invest in an actual GPS, but this should be good for now. Thanks again and thanks for everyone's input

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2013, 05:15 AM »
Is the app 10 once or monthly fee

One time fee

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Really liked the Oregon series I had till someone decided they needed it worse than I did.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Really liked the Oregon series I had till someone decided they needed it worse than I did.

Ole EastWest can relate to that.  Had all kinds of waypoints saved and new brush piles on several lakes, then someone was nice enough to take it right out of his vehicle.  Still searching for those brush piles!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.