Author Topic: Looking to go night prowling for Cusk this year !  (Read 1353 times)

surflizard

Looking to go night prowling for Cusk this year !
« on: Sep 12, 2010, 07:15 AM »
We love to go jigging for Cusk and from what I've gathered from the general concensus here on the Shanty, Night prowling for Cusk is more productive. We've had good luck in a couple of different locations with the slow moving airplane jigs during the day. I just got some Glow head bucktails and can't wait to try em at night !

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking to go night prowling for Cusk this year !
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I love night jigging for cusk! I've caught them mostly on bucktails. I'm gonna try my secret special color combo on em this year! ;) I'm still gonna make some for you and LLT if you promise not to laugh at my hack job!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I have found that night jigging works well for Cusk, tried many diffrent things over the years, the Cusk operate primarily by smell and not sight, and feed mostly at night, you can set up 2 different jigs 1 with glow and the other other without and I think you find no big difference, use some of  the worst smelling bait out there, your Sucker meat seems to produce more action than any other bait I have used, i try to cut the sucker meat in a way that it has an action to it, a piece around 3 to 4 inch's long going from chunky to nothing so it flaps as you jig it. Another bait I have found that's works well is the prepaired Catfish bait you buy from power bait, great order from this product.

Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I put out my crayfish trap the other day. I read a few posts that crayfish have been found inside the cusks gut. I would think that crayfish would be in a den hibernating. I'm also not sure if the crayfish were alive or not when eaten. I'm going freeze a couple of dozen and bring them to the Meredith derby. I might even try one on a jig for Lakers. You can't learn, if you don't try.
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:42 AM »
I put out my crayfish trap the other day. I read a few posts that crayfish have been found inside the cusks gut. I would think that crayfish would be in a den hibernating. I'm also not sure if the crayfish were alive or not when eaten. I'm going freeze a couple of dozen and bring them to the Meredith derby. I might even try one on a jig for Lakers. You can't learn, if you don't try.

Jakel posted this photo last season
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:12 PM »
We were out fishing last week and found a trap just filled with them!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:01 PM »
we're gearing up to do some cusk fishing ourselves. maybe we could resurrect the cusk league this winter. :tipup:

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2010, 03:49 PM »
We really appreciate that, Thanks Guinea ! I'll take a Hand Tied jig over most of the store bought stuff every time ! We'll go night prowlin with ya Guinea ! Last year, I marinated some sucker fillets with an Anise based oil and let it cook in the window on the porch, Wow that stuff would've knocked a Buzzard off a sheet wagon, it was so rank ! The Cusk liked it up north, I'm gonna concoct some more for this year and try it locally and see what happens !  :sick: :roflmao:  James, whats the skinny on this here Cusk League  ???

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:04 AM »
We really appreciate that, Thanks Guinea ! I'll take a Hand Tied jig over most of the store bought stuff every time ! We'll go night prowlin with ya Guinea ! Last year, I marinated some sucker fillets with an Anise based oil and let it cook in the window on the porch, Wow that stuff would've knocked a Buzzard off a sheet wagon, it was so rank ! The Cusk liked it up north, I'm gonna concoct some more for this year and try it locally and see what happens !  :sick: :roflmao:  James, whats the skinny on this here Cusk League  ???

The cusk league was something i saw when i first joined the site a few years ago. It was something our other moderator jguppyboy had going. i assume it was a bunch of semi organised cusk outings,but I,m sure someone with more time on the site can tell you better.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Anise-based oil? Would Sambuca work?  ;D

(I would have said Ouzo but nobody knows what that is. Then again, everyone thinks I'm Italian anyway! lol)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Anise-based oil? Would Sambuca work?  ;D

(I would have said Ouzo but nobody knows what that is. Then again, everyone thinks I'm Italian anyway! lol)
If it doesn't work for the Cusk you can always drink it. ;)

Capt. Black

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Tony: The cusk league was something that Stephan (the other mod) and I introduced to the board. It was done by the overall length of 3 cusk caught while fishing on Friday night. It was fun but not many participated. It was also for braggin rights only!

Maybe we should bring it back!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Hey DD where did Stephan Go ?

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I was planning on doing The 2010-2011 TEAM NH LEADER BOARD again for this season...I could/ would be willing to do the Cusk League in addition to that... Maybe even try to organize a couple get-togethers during the season?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I was planning on doing The 2010-2011 TEAM NH LEADER BOARD again for this season...I could/ would be willing to do the Cusk League in addition to that... Maybe even try to organize a couple get-togethers during the season?

Stephan moved out of state last time I heard from him. He was living south of the NH boarder managing a Dick's I think.

Keith: sounds like a plan!

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:05 PM »
LLT and myself want in !  ;D

Offline sweet lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • go deep or go home.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I would like to get in on that also. The way work is going i guess i'm going to be on the ice alot.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:50 PM »
I was planning on doing The 2010-2011 TEAM NH LEADER BOARD again for this season.
Thanks for running the board again Keith. :)

I could/ would be willing to do the Cusk League in addition to that... Maybe even try to organize a couple get-togethers during the season?

That would be great if we could get a turnout like the last cusk outing, that was a blast. 8)

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2010, 06:52 PM »
Where did you have the last one James ?

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2010, 07:28 PM »
We had the cusk night on winter harbor Tony.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.