Author Topic: best ice fishing reel ???????  (Read 6787 times)

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
best ice fishing reel ???????
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:36 PM »
i am having trouble with the reels ive been using. looking to get new reels. i have st croix legend and st croix premier rods. need reels that will perform in the worst conditions.
Thankyou God for hunting and fishing

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: best ice fishing reel ???????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:33 AM »
   Tica Cetus SB500 very good reel, drag is excellent in the cold.  Pflueger President Model 6720 another good reel.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2009, 06:34 AM »
I have heard many good things about the TICA line of ice reels............haven't had the chance to use one yet but also check into the Pflueger reels I picked one up the other day it was $35 comes with 5 ball bearings and an anti-reverse clutch system................ for the money I have found that to be one of the nicest reels I have ever bought

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:08 AM »
dont rule out the okuma line of reels. I like the two that I have.
<br />

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:15 AM »
tica cetus sb500

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:33 AM »
dont rule out the okuma line of reels. I like the two that I have.

I was looking at the Okuma hardstone reel at cabelas and was going to buy one but they were out of stock. They seem like a decent reel. I really like my Tica Cetus reels. All of the 500s are good and smooth with smooth drag regardless of BB and price.

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I really like my Pfleuger trion's. I have the 4520gx and have never had a complaint with them and there only 30 bucks.

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:32 AM »
I really like my Pfleuger trion's. I have the 4520gx and have never had a complaint with them and there only 30 bucks.

Picked up two 4520's. Will be here in Orlando today and in Wisconsin in three weeks.  ;D

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:41 AM »
I got quite a few.  ;D Thing on ones that do not work well is the lube. Clean it out with brake cleaner and replace with hot sauce, teflon spray or abu lube.  I tested my pflueger presidents in the deep freeze. Yep had to trash the stock lube.
Tica and the Mitchell triads work pretty good stock.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Pflueger Solaras,Trions, and Microspins.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Other Choices-- Okuma Stinson S-10 & Pinnacle Tiny Deadbolt; less cake than the Tica Cetus
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I have all Tica Cetus SB500's and Flueger Presidents on my jigging rods. They are all awesome. You cant go wrong.

Offline eastiaman18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:37 PM »
I use shimano symetres.  I've heard good things about ticas.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:48 PM »
here is a review of the tica cetus 
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewticasb500.html
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:17 AM »
I don't spend a lot on ice reels.  If I can get a reel with instant anti-reverse, a good drag system and at least 3 ball bearings, I am happy for ice use.  All of these things you can test in the store.  If you go with those 3 things in mind you will be happy with whatever brand you choose and should never have to pay more than $30.

Scott Steil

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I don't spend a lot on ice reels.  If I can get a reel with instant anti-reverse, a good drag system and at least 3 ball bearings, I am happy for ice use.  All of these things you can test in the store.  If you go with those 3 things in mind you will be happy with whatever brand you choose and should never have to pay more than $30.

Scott Steil

I was thinking the same thing, until I realized I can use these for summer fishing as well. I hope to try my birthday present (Tica Taurus TP2000S) on our fishing trip in a few weeks as well.

I just relubed and oiled all of our fishing reels with Quantum 'Hot Sauce' and works wonders when I pulled my reel out of the freezer. It operates almost like it does in 80* weather. Which is hard to say, because when I tried it with factory lube/oil, the reels nearly froze up and it was much more difficult to reel.

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:18 PM »
I have used the Abu Garcia C100U or C101 series with good luck.

They have smooth drags and I haven't had any issues with them in the cold.

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:08 PM »
got a tica cetus gv500
Thankyou God for hunting and fishing

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I like the okuma ultralite 10 3 ballbearings and high speed 4.4:1 gear
well balanced handling. handles everything buffalo weather can throw
at us out there on lake erie
SEMPER FI

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:54 PM »
For icefishing with bait I am in love with the Okuma Epixor Eb20..set the bait runner on light you look up you can see the spool knob spinning walk ove flip the lever set the hook...for fishing minnows for fish in the 2+ pound range it is perfection so far....
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2009, 02:40 PM »
For icefishing with bait I am in love with the Okuma Epixor Eb20..set the bait runner on light you look up you can see the spool knob spinning walk ove flip the lever set the hook...for fishing minnows for fish in the 2+ pound range it is perfection so far....

Yup!  :D  Killer rig when paired w/ http://icefishingaccessories.com/guardian.htm

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Townie!!!! You and I are on the samee page!! I just ordered my guardian and I have a rod like that! I also have the similar treble. I am running 10lb braid to 3' floro leaders. Imagine my shock when I looked up and saw drag knb spinning like crazy!!! This thing rules! In fact I was thinking of not broadcasting the set up to the entire community but just had to know if I was the lone ranger!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:43 AM »
Townie!!!! You and I are on the samee page!! I just ordered my guardian and I have a rod like that! I also have the similar treble. I am running 10lb braid to 3' floro leaders. Imagine my shock when I looked up and saw drag knb spinning like crazy!!! This thing rules! In fact I was thinking of not broadcasting the set up to the entire community but just had to know if I was the lone ranger!

It is a great rig; a little pricey-- but I use the reel on open water for cats & trout. The rod is a HT Polar Gold @ $12 it's an incredible deal...

I'm also looking for a rod alarm or flashing beacon for instant alert. Sometimes I don't hear the spool turning & have lost a few fish. I set it up @ a nearby hole for better access.

The Guardian is the best rod holder I've found. I use a 2nd one to hold the jig rod  for dead stickin' too...

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2009, 04:19 PM »
shimano symetre 750 fi
Dave

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2009, 01:21 PM »
I like baitcasting reels better than spinning.  I bought two of these Wally Marshall crappie reels from Bass pro and they work great...3:2:1 gear ratio. aluminum star drag.. work great on Eyes in the house.  They are only 4oz and about 3" wide  I put 8lb fireline on use the smallest ballbearing swivel and a 4' fluro leader.  They are cheaper than HT's new baitcasting reel but will get one of those also to try.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I like baitcasting reels better than spinning.  I bought two of these Wally Marshall crappie reels from Bass pro and they work great...3:2:1 gear ratio. aluminum star drag.. work great on Eyes in the house.  They are only 4oz and about 3" wide  I put 8lb fireline on use the smallest ballbearing swivel and a 4' fluro leader.  They are cheaper than HT's new baitcasting reel but will get one of those also to try.(Image removed from quote.)

How much 8 lb fireline can that reel hold???  I'm working on a Slammer tipup set up and trying to find a somewhat mini baitcaster for it...

Thanks.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2009, 03:32 PM »
75 yds of fireline 8lb.  The new HT reels might be able to hold a little more, there spool looks a little bigger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.