Author Topic: Buzz sticks  (Read 1348 times)

Offline USMC 1371

• IceShanty Rookie
Buzz sticks
« on: Dec 10, 2007, 06:19 PM »
Wanting some info on them. Anybody use one?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Buzz sticks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2007, 08:11 PM »
I dont use one and did not see the value in them...I dont know about your area but around my part these things sell for $45 a rod....if I was to get one it would have to be the modle you can lock on and off and not have to hold the stupid button all the time...I think you can work a jig better with your hands then what this does...again this is from someone who has not used one on the ice

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:51 PM »
I have one and like it.  I did just replace the reel tho.  the reel that came with it has continious antireverse and is nice looking but the damn drag would stick. i would set to real lite and it would fine when checking it but eventially it would hangup and take a pretty good tug to release it....broke of on couple bass and that was that.  I only use it when getting real finicky bites. that button is pain for extented use and been considering tearing it apart and trying to but a tiny switch in its place.  the road floats in the handle...good and bad thing.  when vibrating leave it floating and it kind of acts as a "spring bobber" meaning any little bite shows up at the handle where it is floating.  when not using the vibration i use my index finger to keep rod pressed down at the handle so not floating and thus can have better control of jigging action. if can just buy the rod i would go that way.  they may have changed the reel by now too, it was bout 5 years ago when bout mine at cabelas.
]

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2007, 06:17 AM »
I bought three of them off of E-Bay for 5 bucks.  It seems like a good idea but in reality, when you drop your jig in the water the vibration from the rod does not transmit to the jig.  I tested it out in my bait tank and actually got better jig action just by holding the rod steady in my hand.  I have since removed the batteries and little motor attached to the rod and will use them as a plain jigging rod.  Just my thoughts.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2007, 10:15 AM »
It seems like a good idea but in reality, when you drop your jig in the water the vibration from the rod does not transmit to the jig.

i agree with that but i use fireline w/ 4-6'' 2lb leader at the jig.  this gets around the line stretch problem and as with any good lure action it is imparitive that you have a tight line with no coils! the shallower you are the better action you get also.  I havent tried it deeper than about 10'. o'yea and tie direct to the lure dont use a quick snap of any sort.
]

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009, 01:29 PM »
I've had my Buzz stick for 2 years now. Cool at first. Then I broke and repaired the tip twice. Then one day early this year I noticed the little vibrating egg was laying next to my rod in my rod bag. The plastic mount broke. So all I could do was break the egg off at the wires and use it as a normal rod. It still works good as a rod but no longer has the vibrating feature. I bought a bunch of batteries for it last year and now they just sit in my office. I have 15 unused batteries left.
jbird68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.