Author Topic: Custom Rod Building 101  (Read 1332 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Custom Rod Building 101
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Long time ice roamer, first time poster here!  I have toyed with the idea of building my own rods for a couple years now and I finally think I am going to pull the trigger.  I found a kit on mudhole.com that is decently priced and comes with everything it looks like I would need to get going.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to building your own rods?  Is there a better kit out there to buy?

Also, when it comes time to go out and buy all of the accessories, what/where is the best place to buy new blanks and other needed parts?

Thank you all for your insight and looking forward to getting started!
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Custom Rod Building 101
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:08 PM »
I am cheap.  I built some very nice inexpensive rods for dead sticks before last season.  I found blanks/components on Jann's Netcraft.  Great for the price, IMO.  I had a question about some of the components and got very good advise from them.  I have bought from mudhole, too over the years without issues.

s

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I used to build custom rods . Mudhole is a great company to deal with. There kits are pretty good you can also call them up and they will help build a kit for your needs. hope this helps

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Started building rods last year and even bought the all in one ice rod building kit from mudhole. It’s a nice kit, IMO a great “one stop shop” option to get started so I say do it!

I have since dived down the rabbit hole and built multiple fly and spin rods and even went to a power wrapper. I buy most of my stuff from mudhole and Jann’s and even pick up some blanks on eBay. I think ice rods are my favorite because they’re quick and cheap to make, they make nice gifts to your ice buddies and family members as well!

Hope this helps.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Grab a beverage, get comfortable, head to the rod building forum https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=130.0, and start reading. 10 pages of threads to go through and a ton of useful information there.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I built rods for many years. Mudhole is ridiculously over priced. Their shipping costs approach 30% and their blanks are mediocre. I once ordered a couple of replacement fly rod guides from them and the shipping was double the cost of the eyes. I called and they basically said." Oh well!". I cancelled my account and never looked back. Do some research and get your components from Jann's, Acid Rod or Sportsmans Guide.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.