Author Topic: Broken St. Croix Legend Ice Rod  (Read 3860 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Broken St. Croix Legend Ice Rod
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:56 PM »
What would you do with this rod?

It supposed to have a lifetime warranty on it but manufacturer wanted $30 to replace a broken $50 rod.
jbird68

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Broken St. Croix Legend Ice Rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Have you called and talked to anyone?  I just brought a broken soft water avid rod back to the factory 2 weeks ago and it was replaced for free.  They are usually top notch when there is a failure with a rod.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Originally, I had emailed them about it. Thats when they said it would be $30 to fix.
jbird68

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:19 AM »

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:04 AM »
St. Croix changed their policy somewhere along the line. When I bought my sc5 and sc4 blanks, both were lifetime warranteed. I think the same for this avid ice fishing rod, but could be wrong. I know I have some ice rods that they haven't made in years that I think actually state lifetime warranty on them.

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 06:31 AM »
if my softwater rods break, and they refused to honor their lifetime warranty on the blanks,  I would never buy another st. Croix again. I paid good money for them, and part of what I bought was the warranty. none of my croixs have serial numbers, like the newer ones do, that should at least tell them that it should be a lifetime warranty on them, as they know they are prior made higher end blanks.

I do have to say, they are my favorite river jigging rods.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:24 AM »
"Lifetime warranty" is often misunderstood. Items are usually warranted for workmanship or material defects. These things usually show up within the first few uses and, in my experience, I have never had an issue getting great service. This does not (and should not) warrant damage by car doors, being stepped on, getting crushed in an ice sled, banged against a boat gunnel or any other such user stupidity.

I see all too often people expecting waaaaay too much from their "lifetime warranty". No indictment of anyone here, just a general observation. JMO.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:13 AM »
if my softwater rods break, and they refused to honor their lifetime warranty on the blanks,  I would never buy another st. Croix again. I paid good money for them, and part of what I bought was the warranty. none of my croixs have serial numbers, like the newer ones do, that should at least tell them that it should be a lifetime warranty on them, as they know they are prior made higher end blanks.

I do have to say, they are my favorite river jigging rods.

From my experience with st Croix on a broken rod was nothing but perfect! They have great customer service.  They called me when the rod blank I sent in was going to delayed 1 week. Most companies would never do that.  The only soft water rods I buy now are st. Croix. I will say this I will never buy another Fenwick rod...horrible customer service.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Take that top eye/spring bobber off and put it on a different rod. I think if you were to send that rod in with the $30 you would maybe end up with the updated version of it anyway. Or you could take it to a rod builder and see if they would use the components on it to build you another to your specs. Another option would be to buy a rod building kit and do it yourself.

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:53 PM »
Lifetime warranty is often misunderstood. Items are usually warranted for workmanship or material defects. These things usually show up within the first few uses and, in my experience, I have never had an issue getting great service. This does not (and should not) warrant damage by car doors, being stepped on, getting crushed in an ice sled, banged against a boat gunnel or any other such user stupidity.

I see all too often people expecting waaaaay too much from their "lifetime warranty". No indictment of anyone here, just a general observation. JMO.

Except when marketed as unconditional

Offline ratfinky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut! Asphalt pro
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Buy a new one

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Opinions like if I break my rod they have to warranty it no matter what is why warranties all suck now.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Except when marketed as unconditional

I'd like to see one of those...

In most cases carelessness or stupidity does not quality as a legitimate warranty claim.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:35 AM »
because of the way how it broke, I could always rig it as an extension spring bobber tip for any other rods.  If that's how you want to fish with

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:50 AM »
I had a virtually brand new st croix walleye troller rod fray and snap right in the middle second time using it 🧐🧐

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I would put it my "educational" collection of broken St. Croix rods.  I have several fly rods that were bought when the warranty was much better.  They will not honor the old warranty.  I won't buy anything with that brand on it ever again, and I will tell everyone about it too.  The argument that this was an unreasonable warranty is moot as it was the industry standard in the 90's.  Orvis used to have an over the counter warranty in which you could exchange a broken rod right at the store.  It didn't matter if it broke on your first cast, a huge fish, or when you used it as jack handle.  That was the justification for the price to begin with. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:58 PM »
ive broken quite a few st croix wild river steelhead rods..lifetime warranty my a##.they haven't stood behind any of their rods.want top dollar for repair or replace.wanted to charge me 75 bucks plus shipping for a top section.nope its in my junk pile..

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Greatest rod in America?  I know one thing, St. Croix customer service sucks.  I wouldn't take a St. Croix rod if it was free.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline shoredog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • No bite...willy biggs
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Try Fox Rods lifetime warranty. The guy is an asshole to talk to like most polocs. He has replaced a couple that I broke. 

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:31 PM »
ive broken quite a few st croix wild river steelhead rods..lifetime warranty my a##.they haven't stood behind any of their rods.want top dollar for repair or replace.wanted to charge me 75 bucks plus shipping for a top section.nope its in my junk pile..

wild rivers never had lifetime warranties, I think they were 3, maybe 5 year warranties. However, my legend ultras and elites had unconditional lifetime warranties when I bought them (or the blanks, a few are custom builds). If they didn't stand by them if I broke them, I'd never buy another St. Croix. EVER.

a promise is a promise. Break that promise and you are dead to me. it was pay 20 bucks for shipping and that's that.

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:51 AM »
Almost all lifetime warranty rods charge a service fee to cover shipping and service. Not sure why people think a company would just send free rods to people for their misuse or accidents

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Almost all lifetime warranty rods charge a service fee to cover shipping and service. Not sure why people think a company would just send free rods to people for their misuse or accidents

X2 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Try Fox Rods lifetime warranty. The guy is an asshole to talk to like most polocs. He has replaced a couple that I broke.

Can't find anything on fox rods.
Do you have a link?

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Scheels in Lincoln, Nebraska has great customer service and have never had a problem exchanging a broken rod with them. Why do folks automatically assume the rod pictured was broken from misuse or abuse? The rod pictured looks like it has a clean break rather than splintered which could definitely be a flaw.  We as consumers as said by several of you above pay high end prices for a quality product and quality service. A warranty is only as good as the company backing it; shop wisely. Also, bought a couple knock off St. Croix ice rods on Ebay from a custom builder; just as good in my opinion with the same spring bobber set up. Cost me $20.00 and about an extra 7-8 for shipping.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:59 PM »
I never accused the rod. It was in a Cabelas 3-rod bag that has a tube to protect the rods. It hung on the door in my office until I opened it up the next season. When I pulled it out of the bag the tip was broken off.
jbird68

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I never accused the rod. It was in a Cabelas 3-rod bag that has a tube to protect the rods. It hung on the door in my office until I opened it up the next season. When I pulled it out of the bag the tip was broken off.

I speculate that it's just expected that others will assume you've abused it.  As much as I baby my gear, they do eventually take a beating - normal wear and tear.  Things do break.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.