Author Topic: Smitty/flip over combo-UPDATE expandable smitty design  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
I've been looking at smitty sleds for about two years.  I see many guys with a smitty, packing a flip over.  I got my skis and am was ready to build something fairly elaborate.  However after much thought just decided to try the basics.

My question is does anyone use their flip over while it is mounted to their smitty sled?  I would think the gap underneath while sitting on the sled  would let too much air into my portable?  I'm always freaking cold, so I always flip my canvas.

Just trying to figure if the loading and unloading on the smitty every time I want to move might be more work than what it's worth, and perhaps I should invest in the runners to attach to my sled instead.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Smitty/flip over combo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Big Treble, I think a lot depends on how much snow is on the ice at the time. I have a Shappell Rover 1.5 and it pulls up on to my Smitty without much problem. It is true there is too big a gap leaving it on top of the Smitty. The only time I do that is if I don't intend to open up the Rover all the way over (Just using the bench seat to fish off of) when the weather is decent. Another feature having the Smitty, is that it makes it easier to load in to the back of my pick-up truck when I'm by myself. Having it raised off the ground that 12 or 13 inches makes it much easier. Hope this helps.   lou

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I put 1/4" ply along the skis and screwed to the struts, and drop-down strips hinged from the cross bars that I hook up when traveling.

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:00 PM »
thanks for the response,

Lou,  I get to cold not to flip it.  I think about it, but then I think of all the crap I drag out on the ice to stay warm and give in and flip my tent down. LOL

NIghtbird, you have pic's of the hinged drop down pieces? Not 100% sure what you mean.   I get the plywood strip that's screwed to the legs of the skis

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I built a drop down smitty last year. The skis are mounted to the side of my flip over. They drop down when traveling and flip up when I want to pull the tent over me. Do a search to see pics. drop down smitty
page 50 of my homemade $15 sled

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.980

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I did see your sled, that was the "elaborate" one I was talking about, I was very impressed.  I was trying to figure out the best way to support the bolts through the sled for the legs.

Also concerned with stability of it while pulling it with a UTV At the higher speeds with essentially four bolts through pine.  I do have racks of rough sawn hardwood and a planer, just hate to burn up my stash on a sled.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:54 PM »
How about some steel reinforcment plates to spread the stress along the entire side, kinda loks off next to the all wood sled, but rusotleum makes a hammered bronze paint that will make it look cleaner.
go hard or go home

Offline Steellord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Big Treble, I think a lot depends on how much snow is on the ice at the time. I have a Shappell Rover 1.5 and it pulls up on to my Smitty without much problem. It is true there is too big a gap leaving it on top of the Smitty. The only time I do that is if I don't intend to open up the Rover all the way over (Just using the bench seat to fish off of) when the weather is decent. Another feature having the Smitty, is that it makes it easier to load in to the back of my pick-up truck when I'm by myself. Having it raised off the ground that 12 or 13 inches makes it much easier. Hope this helps.   lou

I found that if I flip the smitty upside down and lay the tips of the skis on my tailgate it makes a nice ramp to slide my Kenai up into the bed of the truck.
Steellord
Hardwater Fisherman
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's much more serious than that!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:52 AM »
I found that if I flip the smitty upside down and lay the tips of the skis on my tailgate it makes a nice ramp to slide my Kenai up into the bed of the truck.
That is a great idea. I wish my noodle worked like yours. Never thought about that one.
<===Lefty===

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:00 AM »

Awesome idea, that would save room from me dragging  other ramps.

Thanks for the tips, guys.  Currently working on an expandable design, that I might done this morning. 

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smitty/flip over combo-UPDATE expandable smitty design
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Ok, two things I hate, being cold and wrapping up my crap to move spots,

So I came up with this that I could pull to the ice, set up my flip and leave it set up while I moved it around the lake simply using the zipper door to enter my flip.

If you see any design flaws or concerns let me know

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:52 PM »

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:57 PM »

Still need to add a little hardware to bungee my flip in place when it is set up.  The out riggers will ride on the lip of the ski when collapsed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I was very concerned about it being too heavy but I can't believe the difference the skis make in moving it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:24 PM »
What you hauling your car? LOL Nice work, I guess you will be hauling your Shack.
<===Lefty===

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:36 PM »
What you hauling your car? LOL Nice work, I guess you will be hauling your Shack.

I almost spit up my beer after reading this.

The idea that I'd have is get my otter flip over set up on it once it was expanded (84"W) bungee down the sled and the lower rail(square tube) of my flip, and I would be able to move more to another spot easier, and without breaking down my portable and packing up.

Many times I'm sitting on a slow hole, thinking I can wait them out by the time I pack up and set up again.  For me that is, too many times, a deterrent to moving to a new spot.

Just thinking this would keep me more mobile. Dragging shouldn't be too much of a issue when ice gets thicker and I bring a UTV.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Again nice work.
<===Lefty===

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:57 PM »
nice sled how about some pics with that Otter on top so we get a better idea how it fits
thanks

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I did see your sled, that was the "elaborate" one I was talking about, I was very impressed.  I was trying to figure out the best way to support the bolts through the sled for the legs.

Also concerned with stability of it while pulling it with a UTV At the higher speeds with essentially four bolts through pine.  I do have racks of rough sawn hardwood and a planer, just hate to burn up my stash on a sled.

I put plywood inside the aluminum tub to stabilize the skis. If you are dragging with a utv, why do you need a smitty?

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:22 PM »
I put plywood inside the aluminum tub to stabilize the skis. If you are dragging with a utv, why do you need a smitty?

I won't always be dragging with utv, and this set up allows me to pull it (by hasn't or UTV)completely set up and ready to fish, since the lower rail will be secured to the smitty frame, also saves wear on the sled.  Essentially my plan is for this to be used like a foldable portable. Set it up once and hit 10- 20 holes if needed.   I should be able to have both my heater and flasher/camera, mounted to the extensions so all I have to do is set my pole down, pick up my auger and go.

I will try to post pics with my otter set up on it.

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Here is the expandable smitty with my otter set up.  Still need to add securing hardware, I picked up yesterday. Will also do add some removable plywood  for a floor and extention areas.

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:24 PM »

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:41 PM »
looks great, it will be nice keeping your feet off of the ice and the quick mobility will be a bonus as well. thanks for sharing

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Big Treble, Once again you epitomise the resourcefulness of fellow ice fisherman! Curious about the reflexit on the backside and I presume ceiling of your shack. Could you elaborate on how you went about attaching. I bought some and have an idea but would like to hear how you did it. Lou

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:06 PM »
That sled is ingenious!!! Great work :D

Indiana_Lou what kind of shack do you have? Search "frabill recon remodel" to see how I put reflectix in mine

Catchin' Fish

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Thanks fellas.

Lou, it is not attached, just pinched between the poles and canvas.  Hangs straight down in back.  never had any issues and it hasn't went any where in two years.  It's just covers the top and back due to the door in front.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Here is the expandable smitty with my otter set up.  Still need to add securing hardware, I picked up yesterday. Will also do add some removable plywood  for a floor and extention areas.

Why didn't you use (4) skis instead of those extra 2x6's that weigh more?
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Big treble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:20 PM »

Why didn't you use (4) skis instead of those extra 2x6's that weigh more?

Using material I had on hand, better than 1hr to a good will type of store to get the skis.  May mod it later.  The 2x6's have a HDPE plastic on them

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2014, 06:59 AM »
looks great!!!
last year i was thinking similar concept; making a base on smitty, big enough to set up a pop up hut.

Offline jmorain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I've posted this elsewhere, but it looks like a similar concept.

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/Joelmorain/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads

Please for forgive the link. I haven't mastered embedding photos yet.

Mine is a totally scratch built, smitty inspired smitty-sled-shelter all in one. I'm still fine tuning, but so far it's working really really well. It fits in my station wagon fully assembled, tows east by hand, sets up in a flash, and stores in a small footprint.

Happy to talk specifics with anybody who's interested.

J

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.