Author Topic: Nils Auger - refurbished cutting head  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils Auger - refurbished cutting head
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Hi there, I've got a question. I just received a Nils auger and I wanted to know if anyone else had received a new auger with an obviously refurbished cutting head?

I'm not sure how much I should care; but the expectation was a new bit of equipment.

I can post a pic if any one is interested when I get home. Just looks like someone did a poor job of wire brushing/blasting the old paint off, repainted it, and reground the cutting edge.

Should I be a squeaky wheel?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Nils Auger - refurbished cutting head
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Boy, I sure would!! Take a pic and E-mail it to them, or take it back where purchased, if possible. That's not right...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Where did you purchase the Auger from? Could have been a Return and was just cleaned up and Resold?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Nils cutting heads all look like refurbished heads. They are not in the spit and polish game. They have lots of splatter and rough looking paint. Crank it up and cut some holes.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Purchased it from Cabela's. This isn't rough paint or splatter.

I'll get a picture up tonight. I have no doubt it'll cut holes, it is stupid sharp and all.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 01:42 PM »

Nils cutting heads all look like refurbished heads.

Yeah, I think this is true. They are sharpened and tested after painting... so I think they all look used (because they were).

If it's more than just a scraped up paint job on the cutting head though I would check with the store. I could easily have been returned and resold.

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:09 PM »
This is what I am talking about.

I think I'll stop in the store and see if the other ones look likes this.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:27 AM »
This is what I am talking about.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I think I'll stop in the store and see if the other ones look likes this.
That is what they look like. Yours is no different.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:40 AM »
  Yes that is what a new head looks like.   The blades are painted before the final steps in the manufacturing. Obviously the paint is chipped and marred in the later process and then painted again. Why they paint the blades in the early stages I don't know. Maybe to keep them from rusting between the time they are formed to when they are finished. 
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:25 AM »
My wife wont let me paint the trim in the house. I paint just like that. Glob it on and spread. Really think they had a better method of doing it though. After all they are trying to make money on a product.
<===Lefty===

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:18 AM »
That's what mine looked like when I bought it. Cuts great!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:55 AM »
yup exactly what mine looks like too.  These blades are not painted but Powder coated. Chances are for some reason the powder coating failed for what ever reason could have happened in the sharpening process who knows but instead of grinding off the powder coating they just shot over it with more powder coat.  Yeah it isn't pretty but it will not effect the way this auger will drill holes.  But again its totally up to you if you wish to return the Auger to Cabela's. If you do I would recommend talking with Cabelas to see if they have more augers in stock! Myself I would just enjoy using it after all nothing cuts like a Nils.

Offline Calestus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Oh, wow. Alright. I'll just be happy I have one then.

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:01 PM »
May be the result of a cheap, steel casting to start out with (prior to machining). Good thing about cast steel is that any inclusions in the casting can be weld-repaired. You can see a definite cavity in some of those pic's that may have been repaired (and/or filled and ground/sanded) prior to painting. Pretty sloppy job actually but it likely won't affect the performance.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:22 PM »
May be the result of a cheap, steel casting to start out with (prior to machining). Good thing about cast steel is that any inclusions in the casting can be weld-repaired. You can see a definite cavity in some of those pic's that may have been repaired (and/or filled and ground/sanded) prior to painting. Pretty sloppy job actually but it likely won't affect the performance.
    Chrome don't get Ya home. These may look bad but this has nothing to do with how they cut ice. These make cutting holes almost like fun.Great auger.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Hi there, I've got a question. I just received a Nils auger and I wanted to know if anyone else had received a new auger with an obviously refurbished cutting head?

I'm not sure how much I should care; but the expectation was a new bit of equipment.

I can post a pic if any one is interested when I get home. Just looks like someone did a poor job of wire brushing/blasting the old paint off, repainted it, and reground the cutting edge.

Should I be a squeaky wheel?
Me too! I emailed the company and never got an answer. I used it and it cut fine. The day i opened the box and red paint was missing from the cutting head I wondered what was up.

Greg
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.