Author Topic: flashers picking up braided ice line  (Read 1548 times)

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
flashers picking up braided ice line
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:18 AM »
hey guys was wondering if anyone has a problem with thier flashers picking up the braided ice line.im using 6lb and 4lb suffix 832 in ghost and have a marcum lx7 flasher...dont have a problem when fishing with mono but with the braid my sonar acts like its picking up interferance...i know this isnt the case as thier was noone within 30 yards of me and i tried adjusting my ir on my sonar.thanks for any input.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: flashers picking up braided ice line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:10 AM »
I used to notice what I thought were air bubbles coming from braided line.  To me it seemed to disappear once the line was in the water for a while.  Not sure if that is what you are seeing or not.

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:34 AM »
ok thanks dave it is like air bubbles or almost looks like a small school of bait above my jig and when i jig all the marks move with my line

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:32 PM »
It's air trapped in the line and frozen ice particles stuck to the line itself, which creates a huge return. It will go away after your line soaks a bit...jigging seems to knock the bubbles loose and once the line starts to thaw the echo starts to disappear. Best solution is to drill a second hole, that way the line isn't in the cone as much.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:41 PM »
It's air trapped in the line and frozen ice particles stuck to the line itself, which creates a huge return. It will go away after your line soaks a bit...jigging seems to knock the bubbles loose and once the line starts to thaw the echo starts to disappear. Best solution is to drill a second hole, that way the line isn't in the cone as much.
& drop the line down close to the bottom & jig the hell out of it to get it soaked.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:47 AM »
thanks for the input guys...i just stripped all the braid off and put mono back on.i didnt want to deal with it as sometimes fishing for trout they will come in above ure jig and  didnt want alot of clutter on the sonar.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:57 AM »
if you liked the strength, durability, and sensitivity of braid, you might try one of the superlines on the market. i picked up some berkley fireline and while there is some memory, it's still just as sensitive as braid. it's kinda weird, actually. the line looks all coiled and not tight, but even fishing the smallest jigs in my box i could feel them as if i was using braid. and when fish hit, i could feel it, even the tiniest ticks and bumps. it also doesn't freeze up or hold water, and bubbles are nonexistant.

it's expensive, sure; but i'm really liking what i'm seeing. i do recommend getting lighter weight stuff though, i have 14 lb test, which has the diameter of 6 pound test and it filled my ultralight reel up way faster than i had hoped. (that's why i usually stuck to 4 pound test or less for ice fishing)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:00 AM »
iit also doesn't freeze up or hold water, and bubbles are nonexistent

Hmm. Fished several ice braids and they all iced up. Worth putting up w/ when it comes to sensitivity tho',
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.