Author Topic: I need help from you experienced ice fisherMen  (Read 877 times)

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
I need help from you experienced ice fisherMen
« on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Today I left tipups at home and decided I was gonna jig only. This is very new for me. I was lucky to drill a couple holes right over some good crappie. I was in my shack with the windows covered and could literally look down the hole and wait for the fish to bite then I pulled up. The only problem I had was once it got dark I could no longer see inside the water. I ended up putting a small lightweight styrofoam bobber on and that seemed to do the trick but, I was wondering if there is something else I should've done or did I do the right thing? Thanks for any and all help with this. Btw I think I'm gonna leave the traps at home next trip cause I had alot of fun today pullin a dozen crappies out.
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I need help from you experienced ice fisherMen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Hmmm...no flasher, eh?  First thing I would do is to get yourself a spring bobber so you can see the light bites.  You see, without the flasher, you are going to have to guess what depth to fish.  What I used to do was cut a small, round rubber band and tie it on the line with a tight overhand double-knot.  You should be able to trim it close enough for it to easily be reeled up onto your spool.  Once I find the level the fish are at, I slide that rubber band up, or down the line, so it just touches the water when I am at the right depth.

Good Luck,

Jim

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Agreed, probably the safest and best line marker ~ that rubber band.

I've found that by tying it on the line at the spool, inside the bail, it really stays where you put it, as it doesn't need go through guides nor bail. The trouble comes when I forget the distance from the rod tip to the water. But, even that can be remedied a few different ways. Dead stick or sight. The water line method for me requires recheck after fighting a keeper. But that is a good thing.

Tom

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:31 PM »
You are correct, we do not own a flasher. Up until recently we really haven't done much jigging. Mostly tipups. I don't think I'm gonna be able to squeeze a flasher in the budget this year. I have pretty much reached the max as I have already purchased 2 new Beaver Dam tipups, an Arctic Armor suit, and a new pair of La Crosse boots. I think the flasher will be the first purchase next season. Thanks for the rubber band tip, we will try that next weekend.
Da Buckless Yooper

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.