Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 24869 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #30 on: Mar 08, 2020, 07:14 PM »
I went to Emerson again today. The bluegills are on fire. I talked to a few groups that weren't doing very good again. I asked some guys what they were catching and the answer was "not much". I said the fish are on fire where I was. They went to where I was fishing and I left. I hope they nailed them. I am done for the season. I hope everyone has a good off season.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2020, 07:30 PM »
 Hit west yesterday, pounded on the perch!!! 18 feet of water. Thought I’d mix it up and hit Spirit today, waste of time. Managed only a few small perch in nearly 3 miles of walking. Till next year IGL’s

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 08, 2020, 08:12 PM »
was there for three day on the school of perch out from sunset. all lookers 5 fish in three days

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:42 PM »
We went out of anglers bay and fished the northside and the middle of the bay with bringing home only 10 perch. Lots of work for fish that weren’t 10”!!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 12, 2020, 02:26 AM »
You see a  lot of pictures on FB of Spirit perch and they are all dinks.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:30 AM »
I got a little time off between Christmas and new years thinking about trying the Okoboji area.  Anyone been on the Ice yet???

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:03 AM »
No ice here.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Making ice now. Will spud today to see where we are at.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2020, 08:50 AM »
Making ice now. Will spud today to see where we are at.

Let us know how it turns out! I'm hoping to be there between Christmas and New Years, but I'm not liking my chances. Hopefully Spirit will have some!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:58 PM »
It has been darn cold here.  Backwater on Red Rock is starting to stiffen up but its going to be a while yet until its ready.  Im already playing the how many hours will I need to drive north to get on some ice game....  :whistle: Gonna be a long season I think!!!

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:41 PM »
was on 5" northern iowa today. other places were around 3"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:52 PM »
I think I'm gonna skip church and go on Sunday. Let's hope the ice holds, it was not in great shape today but okay for walking. I saw some 4 wheelers out. I hope they survived their fun.

Really 4 wheelers? My gosh I’m on a protected pond and have 3.5-4in surprised the lakes are fishable. Gill bite has been on. I might head up that way

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Really 4 wheelers? My gosh I’m on a protected pond and have 3.5-4in surprised the lakes are fishable. Gill bite has been on. I might head up that way
Hey Agro, you might want to look at the date of Mr. Seagurs post. That was last March. I did see some people venturing out onto Lost Island today.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Hey Agro, you might want to look at the date of Mr. Seagurs post. That was last March. I did see some people venturing out onto Lost Island today.

Lol 🙈

My relatives said some people were fishing the edges and could make it a fair amount off shore. I've hear that the perch fishing and crappie isn't to bad.....which suprises me with all the yellow bass. Walleye is suppose to be getting back to decent after the fish kill from years ago.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Let us know how it turns out! I'm hoping to be there between Christmas and New Years, but I'm not liking my chances. Hopefully Spirit will have some!
Saw 7 guys on Minnewashta. North shoreline and not very far out. Templar lagoon had people coming and going so my guess is no fish of size. Ended up at the “grade”. 5 in. of ice and lots of blues. Mostly small but an occasional 8-9 incher. Not worth a trip for that,but ok for locals.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Saw 7 guys on Minnewashta. North shoreline and not very far out. Templar lagoon had people coming and going so my guess is no fish of size. Ended up at the “grade”. 5 in. of ice and lots of blues. Mostly small but an occasional 8-9 incher. Not worth a trip for that,but ok for locals.

Any of the bay's on west fishable

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Didn’t drive the west side of West. Probably not fishable. Smiths definitely was not. Bait shop said canals were ok but only 2 fow and dink’s. IGL’s are so low this year the shallowest puddles are even shallower.

Offline Mchmss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2020, 12:55 PM »
What is the best way to access Anglers Bay on Spirit? I've always used Hales Boat ramp in the winter. Is there something public north of there?

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2020, 06:01 PM »
What is the best way to access Anglers Bay on Spirit? I've always used Hales Boat ramp in the winter. Is there something public north of there?
When you ask the best way do you mean walk or drive?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2020, 06:04 PM »

I think some guys park on the north road then drag through the trees and shore to the north side. If there is no snow it’s not bad....once some snow/slush you won’t do it again lol

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:13 AM »
I think some guys park on the north road then drag through the trees and shore to the north side. If there is no snow it’s not bad....once some snow/slush you won’t do it again lol
I’m one of those guys and have done it again. Over and over. Maybe I have a wonderful problem called “Ice Fish’n Addiction”! Or possibly I’m just plain nuts! 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2020, 10:05 AM »
I’m one of those guys and have done it again. Over and over. Maybe I have a wonderful problem called “Ice Fish’n Addiction”! Or possibly I’m just plain nuts!

Last time I did it was years ago pulling a two man shack. There was about 1ft of snow and 1/2foot of slush on top of ice. We dragged it out and back. Every step was a battle.......never pulled out of there since. It probly isn't that bad of a pull but I always think of it and haven't pulled out of it since.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Agree. Can be a bad pull at times. A little disheartening but I put on my tough guy ‘tude’ and away I go!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2020, 11:15 AM »
Anglers Bay was a shanty town this morning already, at 9am. South side of East had numbers and so did Minnewashta. Little Emerson and “Big Em” had a few people yesterday but not yet today. Ice is 4 to 5 in.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 23, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Were thinking about a Tuesday Wednesday  trip. Any good reports on Spirit?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2020, 01:54 AM »
Were thinking about a Tuesday Wednesday  trip. Any good reports on Spirit?

Try kabele's might have info....blizzard was terrible today

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Remember: Anything that Kabele’s says take with a grain of salt.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Thanks, I usually break out the Rock Salt to make that call. It was cold as heck here and blew alot of the ponds back open.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2020, 11:45 PM »
Remember: Anything that Kabele’s says take with a grain of salt.

Lol.....I wouldn't listen to them for a fish report,.....more for an ice report.

Offline drakevh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:47 AM »
I’m planning on heading out Monday through Sunday this coming week. It’s my one week a year I really get to boji. I’m thinking of starting at anglers and as the week progresses probably trying Emerson and miller’s if the ice thickens, which it should! I’ll try and leave some reports for you guys! Hoping the weather man is wrong about the snow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.