Author Topic: Why Do You ice fish?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Why Do You ice fish?
« on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I am interested in the reasons why you all like to ice fish.
   My Particular reason is it makes me feel alive!  I get all cranked up and feel like thor when I step out on first ice.. Nothing like that mid winter squal at 0 to make you feel like your really doing something special.  Or at night how really really quiet it gets then you hear that ice just shatter across the lake,  and how bright the stars are.
                      I read a good reason last week .
    I read it in in fisherman the guy explains it.  Ice fisherman do what they do cause its what they do!  That was confusing and powerful all at the same time to me.
    So my question is why do you all do this ice fishing thing.  Why does it get in to your inner most thoughts every day your not on the ice.
                    Why O Why do we do what we do??       

Looking for your answeres
  Da-Roc

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Why Do You ice fish?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2005, 05:16 PM »
You can't beat the solitude and feeling of freedom of ice fishing.  Living in Minneapolis, it's so nice to get back home and hit one of my little honey holes w/ no one to see.  A nice 20 degree day, maybe a little wind, a light snow falling on your shoulders, and the crisp, clean winter air flooding your lungs.  Mmmm...
Oh yeah, and catching a few fish is nice, too   ;D

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2005, 06:03 PM »
i ice fish cause the waters froze. hehe realy for the same reason you guys do. seam to get bigger bass and pike threw the ice also. im also addicted to watchin my cousins flasher ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:35 PM »
I Ice Fish Cause I Can Walk On Water ;D

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:49 PM »
I agree scum , those flashers are hypnotizing !   I love to fish so I suppose thats why I ice fish. I started doing it fairly young so it's always been there. I enjoy being able to get away. I think most ice fishermen like that part of it. A person gets so busy it's nice to get away and forget about the worries of the world for awhile. "Ole Green Moe" and  "Scroungy Dog" normally make for some good entertainment out on the ice also. We don't always fill a bucket with fish but we always seem to come home with a new story (MOST of them true):)

Boiler Up!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:59 PM »
I Love Eating Bluegill And Crappies Deepfried...Thats 1 Of Many Reasons

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Warm weather = 6-7 days a week of 12- 14 hour days

Cold Weather  = 0 days of work  24-7 of ice fishin

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:13 PM »
Too many reasons to list in one post, so I'll narrow it down to my top 3.  1) I'm married and the wife doesn't like to ice fish.  2) I'm married and the wife doesn't like the cold. 3)  I'm married and the wife is scared to death of walking on the ice.      I'm not sure but I may need some counseling. I JUST LOVE ICE FISHING.
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:19 PM »
If you live where there is cold/winter you have to have a winter hobby.Otherwise you become one of those people who complains all of the time and only lives about 8 monthes out of the year. Celebrate the winter and eat some fresh fish!!! Paul

Offline ultralight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......get the gaff......
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:39 PM »
I ice fish because i can't take the boat out. I get to use smaller poles and watch that little wire bend over. Besides, the fish taste so much better seeing how they are already ON ice!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2005, 08:52 AM »
i love ice fishing more than summer fishing. 
1: i get a break from the wife
2: don't have to buy ice to keep the beer cold

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2005, 01:00 PM »
The thought of pulling a fish through a 6" hole on an enormous piece of ice. It doesn't get any better than that! ;D
Greg
Fish on!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I just love to fish...hard or soft...though over the last few years hard is becoming my fav.

I have always love to read books and watch movies on the Polar regions, ice fishing is the closest feeling I can get to that.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2005, 11:07 PM »
   I ice fish cause my grandpa did. He took me when I was a kid and that’s how I got started. I’ll never forget the very last time I fished with him, we set up the buckets and got situated on a beautiful sunny day with just a whisper of wind.  That’s when my grandpa looked at me kinda funny like and said for about the fifteenth time,‘Chuckie pull my finger.’ Now being twenty three at the time I had gotten past being fooled by that old trick. However knowing how old grandpa was and worrying that he might accidentally load the insulated bibs he was wearing after about the tenth time, well I immediately moved my bucket upwind a couple of yards. ‘No I am serious, come on over here and pull this off my finger’ he repeated. I just turned and looked at him. Much to my surprise when I looked down he was holding a ring in his hand. ‘Chuck ‘ he said, ‘I want you to have this. It was my grandfathers and he gave it to me out here on the ice on a day just like this one we got here and I want to pass it on to you now.’ Well I pulled my gloves off and grabbed that ring and slid it on my finger just like my grandpa had all those years before, and right then and there I knew almost everything in the world was as it should be.
 Then grandpa spoke again with a wry smile, ‘Why, those aren’t tears in your eyes are they Chuckie ? ‘  I didn’t have the heart to tell him I wasn’t crying. I just hadn’t moved far enough upwind. And besides, he was wearing my bibs!
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2005, 06:19 AM »
Kewl story ChapstickCharlie

Offline jonesy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:13 AM »
The coleman headaches, starting up the auger as the sun is rising, looking out the window and seing a flag, jigging a lure and seeing a red blip show up on the vex

ice fishing rocks

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2005, 08:42 AM »
1 = I love to fish
2 = I am fascinated by cold weather
3 = I enjoy defeating the elements
4 = The older I get the more I realize fishing is a total sport. From rigging the boat to tying good rigs some of the enjoyment is in the prep work away from the water. Ice fishing just adds a new dimension.
5 = The biggest fish I ever caught have come thru the ice.

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Obviously I ice fish cause I love it, but the main thing for me is that I actually have time to fish during the winter months.  In spring and fall, I have so much to do, fishing just cant be done on a consistent basis.  Whereas, in the winter, I have almost every weekend free. 
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I ice fish because i get tired of all the working we do in the winter and on my only day off ( Sunday) i'd be sitting at home getting cabin fever and listening to the loving bride of 25 yrs complain about the cold. LOL

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I ice fish because it is different than regular fishing you don't need a boat to get on the fish. If the ice is good enough the fish can go anywhere where you can. You don't have to worry about boat control. Don't have to worry about the motor not starting. Don't have to worry about rods not fitting in your car etc.. You can catch a lot more fish ice fishing (In my opinion) than open water. It's less crowded and it's peaceful. My number one reason is talk about fresh frozen fish..it doesn't get any better!!!!
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2005, 02:00 PM »
I ice fish because it's so adictive.Once you pull the first slab through the ice you arehooked.Then just like drugs you got to catch more to get your fix.And man do I need a fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jimmbobb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2005, 05:39 PM »
ChapstickCharlie,  you should be writing for Outdoor Life or Field & Stream!!!

Offline FishinAddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:39 PM »
1. IT SEEMS EASIER TO GET WARM ICE FISHING THAN IT DOES TO COOL OFF IN AUGUST.  2. A LOT LESS TIME THAN PREPPING THE BOAT, LAUNCHING , CROSSING YOUR FINGERS THE MOTOR WORKS, CHARGING BATTERIES, ETC.  3. NO JETSKIS AND SKI BOATS 4. LESS CROWDED OR WHEN THERE IS A CROWD, PEOPLE USUALLY SOCIALIZE AND WELCOME A CONVERSATION. 5. A GREAT TIME TO LOAD UP ON PANFISH FILLETS AFTER TARGETING BIGGER GAMEFISH THE REST OF THE YEAR. 6.  ANY FISHING IS BETTER THAN NO FISHING. 7. MUCH EASIER TO THOROUGHLY FISH AN AREA WITH A LIGHTER PRESENTATION THAN DEALING WITH BOAT CONTROL, WIND AND SPOOKING FISH WITH THE MOTOR. 8. IT CAN BE GOOD EXERCISE OR VERY RELAXING DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU MAKE IT. 9. FUN INTRODUCING PEOPLE THAT HAVE NEVER TRIED IT AND AM SURPRISED HOW MANY GET HOOKED! 10.  THE WATER SNAKES ARE TUCKED AWAY FOR THE WINTER!! & A HUNDRED OTHER REASONS TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION.
ICE RULZ.................. ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.