Author Topic: Going for rainbows on Sat need a few pointers/tips. GOT SKUNKED....  (Read 1049 times)

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi Guys

So this Saturday I will be trying for some rainbows at a stalked lake up here in norther Manitoba, the lake is stalked with bows splake and believe it or not BASS yah I said it BASS I bet your wondering what happened there hey? well a few years back DNR accidentally put them in they were supposed to be more trout but someone messed up big time somewhere along the way! any way back on track

So Saturday morning  ill be heading out, now I have some meal worms and shrimp for bait, as of right now I can't seem to find any type of salmon eggs o well , any other suggestions? also water depth where should i be? what type of lure do you recommend? just some general tips to get me on my way

thanks

burty

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Going for rainbows on Sat need a few pointers/tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Meal worms and shrimp should work great.  Frozen minnows/minnow heads, powerbait nuggets, gulp maggots are other baits I use.  I usually start with a Berkley micro powerbait tube jig without bait.  Colors - pink, green, chartreuse, white, orange.  Other miscellaneous small jigs in those colors tipped with a meal worm or shrimp.  Small spoons - silver and silver color combos, yellow/red, red/white, pink.  Fish shallow 2-12ft, usually you don't have to go much deeper, but its worth a try if you're not catching shallow.

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Going for rainbows on Sat need a few pointers/tips
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Well I got skunked, we started fishing at about 8:45am and stayed till about 2pm only seen one rainbow down the hole he was picking at the shrimp i was using for bait latched on once had him almost up and out of the hole but lost him, I think I may have been using to large of a lure #5 Swedish pimple silver and orange my buddy was using one also silver and green. I tried the meal worms the bow had a taste and then took off and we didn't see any more of him the were preserved so I don't know it didn't seem like he liked it to much. I'm gona say we were in about 6-7FT of water it was kinda cool to see that rainbow toy with us though he hung around for 20 mins or so but we couldn't land him...

I think i need some more tips

Thanks

mark     

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Yep, try downsizing.  Also try a different spot if you're not seeing much.  That's the nice thing about rainbows, often you can attract them in with a variety of lures and see them, but can take some adjustments to actually catch them.  Try some live fresh meal worms if you can get some, I've never tried preserved ones so can't comment on them.  I don't like swedish pimples for anything, often I find there's something that works way better.  I just never have any luck with them, although others swear by them  :-\.  On a second still line, try with just a minnow, live meal worm on a single hook close to bottom (maybe even add an orange or chartreuse bead too), single hook with shrimp or even power bait paste as well (I like a small treble with the paste or nuggets).  Small jigs such as gypsis and fireflys by Northland tipped with any type of bait.  I saw your other post, this year I've tried the Scud Bugs and have caught a few trout on them.  That should be more than enough info to get some rainbows.

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks I really appreciate the reply 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.