Author Topic: Turquoise Resevoir  (Read 970 times)

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
Turquoise Resevoir
« on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Anyone have any information on Turquoise Rez? Was thinking of trying to get up there Saturday.  Looks like a beautiful spot.  Any information on ice conditions, where a good place to access the lake, anyone interested in joining?

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Fishing/FisheryWaterSummaries/Summaries/Southeast/TurquoiseReservoir.pdf

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Turquoise Resevoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Little access, heavy snow.  Skinny fish.  Read the twin lakes post-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:12 PM »
One of the most commonly used access points for walking in is at the dam.  Steep hill there but not too long.  You should find others at that popular location who are fishing and can suggest other good access points, but dam is a nice deep spot for smallish lakers.  Welcome!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2015, 11:09 AM »
I second what slayer and Doctor said but will add some.

I went last year and was sad I didn't have a sled. There was more than 16" of snow in mid Feb making it really tough to walk very far. A sled would allow you to get to the west end where the multiple inlets are including the main one. Or just to be able to move around to different spots. It's bigger than I thought.

The lake is very beautiful though and surrounding trees are thick which prevents much wind. Good for keeping warm and the added scenery; bad for not blowing the snow off. It's somewhat isolated so I'd go back if just for the peace and quiet  @)

It was fun to watch my smitty sled take the long, un-manned ride down to the lake but was a slight chore pulling it back up. There was a packed trail but I'm going to bring snowshoes next time to help get around once on the ice.

I looked on the map and there's another walk in access east of the dam through the trees. The parking for that is off a right hand turn on 9C prior to heading straight west on the road 4 to the dam. Check google map or earth. With a sled you can also continue across the dam on 4 but no go with my very capable truck. They don't plow it but there's no gate (if I remember correctly).

I caught fish right away and ended up with 2 10" lakers, 3 small brooks, and about 6 8-12" rainbows. I only stayed for around 1 hour so the action was good but no size. I fished 25 - 50fow right on the dam to just out from it. I'd like to get back up there to explore it more but only with a group, with snowshoes, and/or with sleds!

Good luck if you go and tell us how you do!
Selective harvest works!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Even if you have a snowmobile, keep this photo in mind.  Yeah, the slush/standing water was over 4".  This was our last visit to Turquoise about 4 years ago...that was a hard working day!

Offline Kinosao

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Opted to hit Twin Lakes rather Turquoise, alas, skunk day : (

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:27 PM »
You might have beaten the skunk at turquoise but they likely would've been small and it can be a slushy mess there.
Selective harvest works!

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Anyone been by this season?
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I wouldn't mind going again but seeing that photo of my buddy from years ago made me both laugh out loud and then decide not to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.