Author Topic: Saturday was N ICE!  (Read 1893 times)

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saturday was N ICE!
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:03 PM »

(small pic-grumble)

A buddy and I cruised on down south to check conditions at the mile and join the already large numbers of icers there at 7:30am. No wind, eager fish, and mild temps made for a great 4 hours fishing. It was 50 when we left  @)

We set up in 5-7'fow the fish were cooperative right away on fast, hard jigged kastmasters, small white jigs, and a big rainbow chubby darter. They only bit a fast  moving lure. We landed 8 with 2 misses. All were the standard 17-19" and feisty, typically eager early ice biters. We were aiming for pike too but no pike came through.

Ice was decent at best right at 4", very slick, with a large and sinking pressure ridge running from one side of the lake to the other. We wanted to cross but when I got close the ice cracked, drooped, and made ripples in the skim ice area between the gap. So we tiptoed back and away  :o  Everyone steered way clear of it but there are plenty of fishable areas near shore. It sounds like there's quite a bit of snow down there from Sunday's storm making it really difficult to read the ice now. Close to shore was better ice so that's where we stayed. This cold snap should seal everything up further but I'm always leery of any pressure ridges.
Selective harvest works!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Saturday was N ICE!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Small pic for small fish- Hahha ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Was appropriate! You didn't do any better :P Let's hope for some sizable ones in the near future....and pike!

You're just jealous I took an eater off your plate  ;)
Selective harvest works!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Was appropriate! You didn't do any better :P Let's hope for some sizable ones in the near future....and pike!

You're just jealous I took an eater off your plate  ;)

Haha- I hate those stinking pike. Ate some once, its like eating pigs feet or knuckles. Only reason to eat that stuff is if you are starving and have nothing else to eat!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Haha- I hate those stinking pike. Ate some once, its like eating pigs feet or knuckles. Only reason to eat that stuff is if you are starving and have nothing else to eat!
You betcha. Just keep thinking that my friend. Crappie, Walleye, and Northern are the best table fare in this State followed by Catfish and then Kokanee. Personally I don't care if I never eat another trout.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:19 PM »
You betcha. Just keep thinking that my friend. Crappie, Walleye, and Northern are the best table fare in this State followed by Catfish and then Kokanee. Personally I don't care if I never eat another trout.
Walleye and crappie in comparison to pike?     Thats just wrong-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Walleye and crappie in comparison to pike?     Thats just wrong-
Like they say, "one man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog". Just going out from personal experience. Seven or eight years ago I was with a guided group fishing in Ontario. We had a good morning on walleye and pike. When we stopped for shore lunch, the guides filleted out both type of fish and fried them up over a campfire. Frankly, it was hard to tell the difference between the two. My little belly was pooched out like I was four months pregnant. Of course under the circumstances they could probably have fried up a porcupine and it would have been delicious.  I like to fish for pike and I like to eat 'em.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:43 PM »
I ate pike for the first time last year and learned how easy to filet them was. I got to say those are some good eating fish.
<===Lefty===

Offline Eyefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I agree with stinky! Pike are as good as walleye and crappie. Just got to get the y bones out!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Good report! Sounds like you found some good numbers, COlipripper.  As for the pike conversation -- I kept a pike last year, just to see what some people were talking about them being tasty.  Filleted it up, and tried everything I could, but I just didn't like it.  To each his own, I guess.  Probably also depends on the body of water they live in.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:48 PM »
  Probably also depends on the body of water they live in.

Nah, it doesn't-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Nah, it doesn't-
Yeah, prob right.  I'll stick to eating eyes, crappie, and perch...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Yeah, prob right.  I'll stick to eating eyes, crappie, and perch...
One parting thought on Pike and then I'm moving on. Not having a boat any more I just can't catch enough walleye and crappie to make a difference though they're my favorites to eat. I've never eaten a perch in my life and frankly have never even caught one. Many people say they're the tastiest and I'll believe them.

Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Before I moved away from Broomfield there used to be 7 ponds on the Churches ranch. He would charge $1 per person to fish there. He had Pike,Perch,Catfish,Bluegill and Bass. My friends and I caught a lot of Perch one day and one of them cooked them up for us all to eat. Yep them are some good eating fish. Now they have Condo's on that ranch and not sure if there is any of the ponds left. It was between 120th and 112th. That whole section belonged to a brother and sister that still used a washboard to clean their clothes.
<===Lefty===

Offline Griff8185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:31 PM »
If the fish taste gamey, soak the fillets in milk for a bit. Idk why it work, but it definitely helps a lot. A lot of people grind up pike (and pickerel) with potatoes and some other stuff and fry them. It's actually pretty good, and it stops you from picking bones out of the meat for days. Hahaha
Flags flyin' high!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Learning how to filet a pike will give you nice boneless filets.  Check out the internet and look for a Utube demonstration.  I have cooked fresh walleye and pike for the same meal and my walleye eating family could not tell the difference.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Oh I know how to fillett the "y's".  Dont make no difference- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.