Author Topic: Nice day at John Friday  (Read 690 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice day at John Friday
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Went alone to Lake John Friday.  Conditions excellent.  Sunshine, very slight breeze, 20s.  Ice now built to about 10".  I arrived at 9:30 and bite was good until about 11:30.  Caught about 10 fatties, the largest ones barely under 18", and they gave my drag a good workout.  After 11:30, every time I dropped a new color or size they immediately swarmed it, but wouldn't take.  I was mostly using small pieces of raw shrimp to tip the small jigs, though used mealies too.  Caught a couple of them on my Jawjacker.

If you go up there, take along your ice creepers.  Snow cover is diminishing and there is more bare ice to slip on.

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline kungjoefu

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nice day at John Friday
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Great fish and report! Congrats! I haven't made the trip from Greeley yet. But a few more pics like that and you might see me up there!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Wow, nice fatties!  I'm still trying to decide of N Park is worth the 4 hr drive from Denver, but those fish seem to say yea get up there...  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I struggle with that as well.  But then I think of all the money and time I have spent over the years driving to Granby with far less success and a lot farther walk on the ice than I get in the North Park Lakes.  And the drive over Cameron Pass is pretty spectacular.  Last week we saw bighorns, moose and golden eagles right alongside the road as bonus entertainment.  And I don't have to fight I-70 ski traffic going and coming.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.