Author Topic: Top Producing Jigs, Spoons, Live Bait on Reservoirs in Colorado  (Read 2810 times)

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
Realize some may not want to give this out but for those who don't mind - Appreciate if you have the time to provide your short list of highest producers by fish type (bows, kokes, etc) and body of hard water

e.g.
     pink ratso, waxie, antero
     shrimpo, mousie, antero

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tube jigs and meal worms or power wigglers for Antero. Small tubes in pink, white and red have worked well. A lot of guys use krill there.

For 11 Mile I usually use two Rainbow pattern spoons. A small stationary one with bait on it and a large one I jig a couple of feet away.

On Lake John and North Delanney I have had a lot of luck on the little gitzit minnow imitations.

On Blue Mesa, it depends if you are going for trout, kokes or lakers. The big browns like jigging spoons.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Since I live 15 miles from 11 Mile I tend to fish it most. I've had various success with the lures you've used at Antero but when using
smaller jigs on 4 lb. test and a light drag I would still bend or break a hook. I now pour my own lead jigs and tie ice flies with better quality
hooks and eliminated that problem. 99% of the time I use what I make and because I'm not limited with certain colors,flash,dubbing,etc.,
I can tweak things with a variety of patterns and colors that you won't get from mass produced manufactured lures and I tend to do
rather well up there.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
I picked up ratfinkees, ratso's, shrimpos, + I already have miscellaneous jigs, tubes, jigs with paddlebug tails, some swedish pimples, rattlin jigs, and stuff from my days in the midwest

You have got it covered from A-Z or I guess I should say from Trout to Lake Trout and Pike.  The only thing I could think to add off the top of my head is some Genz Worms in gold, pink and white, and if your Lake Trout or Pike fishing you might want to add some larger spoons from Northland and Daredevil to go with your tubes.  If you aren't catching fish with arsenal you picked up they just ain't bitin or your in the wrong spot.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Trout anywhere -kasty
Perch anywhere-kasty or jiggin rap.
Walleye anywhere- kasty or jiggin rap.
LAKERS anywhere- kasty or suckermeat or egg sacs-they are a sucker for the sac- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Thx Slayerfish - is the typical kasty spoon used for ice / 2-4lb test  a 1/8 to 1/4?  (Obviously for lakers it's likely heavier)

I use 6lb and 1/4 oz kastys.   If i'm goin deep for macs then I will go to 8 or 10 lb with 1/4 or 3/8 oz. kastys.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
Question: When you're fishing for Macs what colors/patterns of Kastmasters do you find produces best???  Usually tipping them with sucker meat or what?  Hoping to finally get out after some big boyz this year!  :o
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I hear a lot of guy's use the 3-4" White tube jigs with sucker meat. Others use Airplane jigs,and some just use a big treble hook with sucker meat on it.
<===Lefty===

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
For trout, ratsos, scudbugs, small tube jigs, Swedish Pimples, or Kastmasters with wax worms or Powerbait. Lake trout or pike, tube jigs with sucker meat.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
My above post is for Lake Trout.

For all other trout I use the Ratso,Shrimpo and Nuclear Power Ants from Custom Jigs and Spins.
And I use the Slender spoons for them also. Same Company.
<===Lefty===

Offline sg2no

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Top Producing Jigs, Spoons, Live Bait on Reservoirs in Colorado
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:50 PM »
Lakers- Tubes & Meat, !/2 oz. Red Dot Glow PK Spoon and Copper also the 2.5 oz Flutterfish
Pan Fish- Spikes or meal worms on 1/8 oz. PK or 1/32 to 1/6 oz Jig Most FT color
Trout - 1/8 oz Panther Martin (Jigged) and of course a PK with wax worm
Walleyes - Live Minnow on a Bobber in Shallow Water, and or a PK spoon or Fluuterfish.
If you can tell I like Pk a lot and really do use them.

Offline Hardwater Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:39 AM »
My goto jigs;

Tube Jigs 2-4" Larger for Mackinaw
Paddlebugs
Genz worm
Ratso-Shrimpo

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2011, 03:30 PM »
for me i have only dealt with trout through the ice

ratsos in pink white and orange tipped with waxies and dipped in green nitro grease
icecutter micro bug tipped with a waxie and dipped in nitor grease and there is a video out there of some of the fish i have caught just look for a video titled get the blood goin

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:17 PM »
My goto jigs;

Tube Jigs 2-4" Larger for Mackinaw
Paddlebugs
Genz worm
Ratso-Shrimpo

Those exact jigs plus a 1/16th ounce marabou jig and a tungsten Fiskas with microtail for panfish, and jigging rap for the attractor.

Offline High Plains Drifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:58 PM »
Sure do like white tubes.  Throughout the west, most trout can't resist if jigged properly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.