Author Topic: BEST ICE FISHING ELECTRONICS  (Read 4962 times)

Offline MagicMike

• IceShanty Rookie
BEST ICE FISHING ELECTRONICS
« on: Nov 29, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Goodmorning Iceaholics ,
I am in need of help deciding my next electronic for ice fishing ! I have a few units in mind but i am currently on the FL18 Pro pack . Is there any need for me to upgrade and go for the Helix 7 or Garmin 73CV?
I have a specific budget of spending less than 800$ on the unit .
Any and all help will be appreciated ! Thank you!
Located in the Midwest
Chicago Region

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
Re: BEST ICE FISHING ELECTRONICS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Following....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Goodmorning Iceaholics ,
I am in need of help deciding my next electronic for ice fishing ! I have a few units in mind but i am currently on the FL18 Pro pack . Is there any need for me to upgrade and go for the Helix 7 or Garmin 73CV?

Use the SEARCH function on the units you have in mind Plethora of information to be had at your finger tips.

Should add your location County and State ..could be a deal near by  you.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:35 PM »
Save for another year and get a garmin livescope. You wont regret it. Your current flasher will suit you well for another year.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline tm37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2021, 06:35 AM »
If you already have a FL-18 You dont need to upgrade..

IF you are looking at buying the FL18 I would go ahead and make the jump to FLX-20.  Screen is easier to read and the battery lasts longer.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:17 AM »
I ran an FL-12,for years, then I got a garmin 73sv and never went back.

The graph and split zoom made the difference for me.

Garmin makes a solid unit and it has lasted me several years. I am waiting on my new 93sv I ordered last Friday, hope it delivers today. My 73sv will go to my son when he fishes with me.

Typically I fish in deeper water for lakers. Anywhere from 30 to 110 FOW. the GT10 transducer is great for this application.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Icefishing is pretty primitive and a decent vexilar,marcum or bird flasher is plenty good for finding and start pulling fish out of hole in the  ice.i still prefer my vexilars over my garmin striker 5.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:26 PM »
Personally the only thing I will upgrade to from my flx28 is a livescope or mega live. Not a graph guy, I do have a helix 5 but it made sense because I needed a sonar unit for my pontoon. If you plan to use it on the boat as well I would spend the money to upgrade.

Offline wyler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:43 AM »
You won't get much more out of another basic unit, save the money this year and go livescope next year.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:49 AM »

Garmin makes a solid unit and it has lasted me several years. I am waiting on my new 93sv I ordered last Friday, hope it delivers today. My 73sv will go to my son when he fishes with me.

Typically I fish in deeper water for lakers. Anywhere from 30 to 110 FOW. the GT10 transducer is great for this application.

I bought a 73SV this past spring for the boat and am debating getting the ice transducer and selling my vex fl18. What are you doing for a battery for the 73? That's my biggest concern at the moment.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Lot's of different Lithium batteries on the market now, I would recommend something 10ah or better though.

I would also never go back to a round dial unit anymore after fishing with a graph.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10:55 AM »
I wouldn't upgrade unless you got money to burn...FL-18 is a fine unit.  I have had one for about 17 years, not about to change it just to be stylish.  If it breaks,  I'll send it in for service.  It gets the job done on the ice and the boat.  I got one of those dual transducers with a switch.  Little noisy, but so what.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Lot's of different Lithium batteries on the market now, I would recommend something 10ah or better though.

I would also never go back to a round dial unit anymore after fishing with a graph.

I’m perfectly happy with my vex/flasher and i’m debating the garmin with a $170 cost for the transducer and think a $100 cost for a battery on top would make me stay with my current setup. If I could get a full day out of my 7 ah battery i may pull the trigger.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:27 PM »
Goodmorning Iceaholics ,
Located in the Midwest
Chicago Region

I've loved my FL 20 for a decade.  I think the price of a FL18 might have been a better deal.

Dick

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Still slayin' with the Marcum LX-5.  Some buds have graphs and I can't stand the graphs. don't need GPS cause i'm almost always with someone who has a GPS. ;D  I actually like ice fishing WITHOUT any electronics. Separates the Pros from the Amateurs- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:41 PM »
I am also one that loves Livescope, if you aren't going to that technology, just stick with the flasher, as upgrading to a Helix is kind of a waste.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:08 PM »
I am also one that loves Livescope, if you aren't going to that technology, just stick with the flasher, as upgrading to a Helix is kind of a waste.

My opinion differs.  All I had  was an FL8 and I upgraded to a used Helix 5 SI/DI with a lithium battery couple years ago for $450.  If a guy can find that kind of deal, that's a very long way from the Livescope pricing.  Some guys just can't swing that.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Nevah used any electronics….just poke and hope…

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Making the switch this year to helix 7 from fl18. i wanted to helix for the boat as well as GPS in the same unit and i can take it off the shuttle easily and use on ATV on ice. Pieced the Helix unit together for about $600

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Nevah used any electronics….just poke and hope…

Would highly suggest using some form of electronics, definitely a game changer & will put more fish on the ice.

Offline djhornet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Go with the vex, its just a much better all around unit in most situations.  If you plan on doing most of your fishing in one spot, not moving much, and inside a shelter I may give you a different answer.

Ease of use in cold weather.  You dont want to mess around with settings when youre moving and moving.  I think you will also appreciate that you will see the screen easily on a bright sunny day ( good luck with the bird).  You wont need a lithium battery either as you can run for hours without worries.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:30 PM »
Good point.my vexilar is easily viewable in the sun,i get headaches from the glare on my garmin striker 5 screen when its bright out and hole hopping.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2021, 05:23 PM »
I had a vexilar FL-8 and it was terrible in water under 10 feet even with the special cord they make you buy for shallow water. I sold it and got a MarCum LX-6 and being digital makes all the difference in the world...no comparison. Much more accurate, no noise, much better target seperation and an all around superior unit. When fishing in 8' of water your entire dial is 8 feet not a 20 foot dial on the flasher and you only use 1/3 of the screen on the Vex. Once you go digital you will NEVER go back!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:10 PM »
Livescope IMHO

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2021, 06:57 AM »
I use a graph and AquaVu camera. The camera is very addicting. I can spend endless time just watching fish.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2021, 01:59 PM »
I'm not condemning anyone for taking a camera and graph out on the ice, well perhaps I am.  Not just you.  I do wonder why one needs a graph when they can drop the camera down the hole and actually see if there are any fish there.  I guess my disdain for cameras and graphs and too much stuff in general comes from a buddy of mine.  I am 64 and in not so good health, having congestive heart failure and COPD.  My fishing buddy is 83.  While I continue to try and downsize, he does just the opposite.  Last year he added a camera to his collection.  The problem with this scenario is that he has Parkinson's and needs help toting his gear.  So, I pretty much have to get him all set up.  I'm the one hauling his sled and contents, to include: Big director chair, graph, camera, 6 rods, heater, lunch cooler, four tackle boxes, two five gallon buckets "full" of various fishing materials purchased on late night tv, a shovel- you never know when you might have to dig yourself out, drill/auger, spud and ice scoop!  I'm pretty sure I have missed many items that were obviously too many for me to remember.  Every time we go, I tell him that he doesn't need 6 poles.  His response was yes he does, so that he doesn't have to change hooks on the ice, he can do it in his living room.  The time before last I told him bring two poles and "I' will change hooks for you.  The next time we went, he insisted on the 6 poles and I'm sure he added a few extra items out of spite!!!

I felt just like you. Then I tried livescope........don't try it. You'll want one.

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:03 PM »
I already know I want one, just by watching videos of them.  I don't have a problem with cameras and graphs, but why is the world would anyone want to hall "both" out onto the ice?  You can only watch one at a time.  And, If you have a camera down in the hole, why do you need a flasher to see if there are any fish there?  Just sounds like a lot of overkill to me.  Not to mention, just one more thing to lug out onto the ice.  I'm out, just not doing it!

The Parkinson’s part is real shi**y, but I hope I’m 83 and still living it up like your buddy. Sounds like what you guys need is a couple younger guys to help out or maybe invest in an ATV?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2021, 06:57 AM »

Its not great over 100 brotha.  I still have my ps22 transducer from my first unit just in case.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:24 AM »
I bought a 73SV this past spring for the boat and am debating getting the ice transducer and selling my vex fl18. What are you doing for a battery for the 73? That's my biggest concern at the moment.

I run a 10ah nocqua lithium or i use my 40v auger batteries as well but I need to add in a step down converter.

My 73sv draws less than .7 amps on medium brightness. I can get a full day off battery with full brightness too.

I have the GT10 for ducer because I fish deep water more than anything else.

Going to be using a 93sv this year and I still plan on using my same 10ah battery for it
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Oh my bad Ken I was talking lvs32 livescope.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.