Author Topic: Using cordless drill  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Using cordless drill
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 12:07 PM »
So color me crazy for sitting here in 90* heat thinking about ice fishing...but it's what I do. With that...I recently purchased a drill to use with my auger this winter. It has 600 in. lb. of torque so it's pretty strong. Questions are, should I use it on the hammer or drill setting and because there IS the chance of "wrenching" my hand, should I wear a wrist wrap/support to help prevent it from happening?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using cordless drill
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Most auger manufacturers recommend at least 700 in. lbs. of torque, so you might not have enough drill, but it’s probably worth a try. Always on drill setting, never on hammer. If you’re using 2 amp hour batteries, switch to at least 4 amp, or higher. The cold saps a 2 amp in a hurry. I use a Nils convertible auger with a Ridgid drill. No hiccups at all going through the ice, but you may have a different experience. Let your auger do it’s thing, and never force anything. Good luck this winter!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:26 PM »
if your used to using these types of tools you should be fine. just always use two hands even if clearing a slightly froze over ice hole. that's when it can bite you when you least expect it. keep every thing close to your body and try not to over extend your arms. you loose stability that way. many of us lean the drill onto our person for better control.

if your not used to it, then maybe a drill plate such as the ice kicker 2 would be better for your safety and slightly under powered drill or if you want to turn a larger auger.

a few have been seriously hurt with their high torque drills last season. with casing breaking where the auxiliary handle attaches. two went to the hospital from members of this site that we know of so far.

always use sharp blades and if you have to push down then they are dull or misaligned and your asking for trouble unless you address the problem. the weight of the drill and auger is enough to cut ice. getting thru the last turn of a large auger can get caught, so lift up some when you know its almost done cutting. i keep the blade turning after the cut to clear the hole of shaving. always keep the same angle once you've committed to the hole your cutting and never change it. this can ruin your blades alignment and catch the side of the hole and bind.

some say nills and mora have the cleanest "break thru" during the last revolution of the auger while others are more of an aggressive pitch to the blades and therefor bind more. so just learn to lift during that time to force the blades to take less material and problem solved.
i use strike master lazers and never used any other brands.

you'll need an adapter if not using a plate. make sure to get one that has a bungee or strap to hold onto the auger for when the chuck lets it go. you never know when that may happen. it happened to me once and that was enough.
kovacs ice master is the adapter i prefer. you may have to buy an extension, but being your in michigan, it probably will never get used. only one season did i need mine so far in michigan. make sure that it is for hand augers if you decide to be prepared for thick ice.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 04:31 PM »
So color me crazy for sitting here in 90* heat thinking about ice fishing...but it's what I do. With that...I recently purchased a drill to use with my auger this winter. It has 600 in. lb. of torque so it's pretty strong. Questions are, should I use it on the hammer or drill setting and because there IS the chance of "wrenching" my hand, should I wear a wrist wrap/support to help prevent it from happening?

Always drill mode. 600in/lbs might turn a flat bladed mora 6in shaver. My suggestion.....get a bigger drill.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2018, 05:36 AM »
drill mode only. I have a Ridgid fuego with 525 in/Lb of torque. I have been using it for 3 years and it eats through ice without a problem. I wouldn't go using it with an 8" auger but it did fine pushing a 6" HT auger through 20" of ice. I got the 4ah batteries though, don't even waste your time with the 2ah batteries. They are good for hanging pictures and other stuff around the house but you'll only get a few holes out of them on the ice. I have 2 batteries and have yet to drain 1 battery on a weekend out on the ice. I don't have an extension, might pick one up... one day...maybe, but it isn't needed unless maybe if you're tall.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Get the Clam Plate, so comfortable to use.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:21 AM »
you guys must all be turning 8" augers or something...

I've been using a 525 in lb, 20v, 2ah drill with a 5" mora (1 year) or 5" lazer (4 years now) setup with 0 problems. I've never killed both my batteries no matter how cold or thick the ice has been

Iceassin what auger are you looking to pair up to your drill? Thats the most important factor to determine how well its going to work

Catchin' Fish

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:47 AM »
My two cents …700 in/lbs drill w side handle or better and 5 ah batteries are a must....mora style blades tend not to bind as much as lazer..and 6 in or less for the auger drill unit ….other members have had successes with the various combinations of smaller drills ...bigger drill units ...but I believe that they be the exception rather then the norm.

I have a Clam Plate w/Dewalt 995 atop a 8 in Kdrill ….this season I am going with a Milwaukee 2704 to replace the 995 as better in/ibs ...note both drills are refurbished ..I love the cordless drill option ...for its light weight
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I will stay on topic and then ask a somewhat related question.

I have the 1200 in/lb Milwaukee Fuel. I have 2 5ah batteries and never had to use the second battery. Have an 8" auger on a Clam plate, but don't hole hop too much for what it's worth. probably punch on average 20 holes on one battery. I picked up a weed wacker with a 10ah battery so i am good to go.

With that said, bride used the smaller Milwaukee and I can't get the chuck to loosen. Anyone have any tips? I would hate for her to use my ice fishing drill ever....

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2018, 08:22 PM »
I have had to use channel locks on my Milwaukee Fuel a few different times when it would not unlock because the chuck had rubbed against 2X4 studs when drilling some holes while wiring, the channel locks did no damage to the drill.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2018, 10:05 PM »

No just got to get a good hold of the drill don't ware gloves with it .. or wet hands any thing that might help it slip out easier.. other then that 600 inch pounds is the bare min suggest by clam for their 6 inch auger..of course 750 or even 1200 inch pounds is better yet.. I just bought the ridgid r86116 b2 set  on sale for $99 drill,two batteries 1.5 ah and a charger all have life time warranty..  sister got me same drill for chistmas it pushed my 7 inch lazer bladed mora auger just fine... to bad you missed the sale over the forth??  hopefully they advertise same drill on black friday??

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:38 AM »

No just got to get a good hold of the drill don't ware gloves with it .. or wet hands any thing that might help it slip out easier..

So far neither channel locks or my bare hands have worked. Wondering if maybe some liquid wrench up at the base of the bit would work?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:33 AM »
So far neither channel locks or my bare hands have worked. Wondering if maybe some liquid wrench up at the base of the bit would work?

Similiar thing happened to one our utah members

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=346616.msg3690496#msg3690496

I've had mine freeze up once but was able to get it loose with some channels without marring it up to bad. I do keep it lubed up now and dont over tighten it when sinching it down. I only make it click just a couple of times is plenty, no need to go another 1/4 turn of clicking even though it will do it
     Wyoming & Idaho    

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Similiar thing happened to one our utah members

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=346616.msg3690496#msg3690496

I've had mine freeze up once but was able to get it loose with some channels without marring it up to bad. I do keep it lubed up now and dont over tighten it when sinching it down. I only make it click just a couple of times is plenty, no need to go another 1/4 turn of clicking even though it will do it

Thanks for the tips. I think the issue is when she tightened the chuck, the bit wasn't centered. I will give the channel lock another shot, although i already have scratched it up pretty good. Maybe i will give the vice a shot as well

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I think the issue is when she tightened the chuck, the bit wasn't centered. I will give the channel lock another shot, although i already have scratched it up pretty good. Maybe i will give the vice a shot as well

Have you tried just putting the drill in reverse and holding on to the chuck?  Try that if you haven't.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Have you tried just putting the drill in reverse and holding on to the chuck?  Try that if you haven't.

DN

Negative, sure didn't. I will give it a try when i get home later today.

Thank you for the idea Mr. Ninja sir

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2018, 02:16 PM »

DN

That did the trick! Threw a 4" screw into the bench, then held onto the chuck taking it out. Thanks DN!!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Awesome.  ;D ;)

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:11 PM »

I was replying to the op's thread about needING a arm brace .. but any how glad you got it unjammed atc..

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I was replying to the op's thread about needING a arm brace .. but any how glad you got it unjammed atc..

Apologies, I was caught up in my own little world I guess!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Apologies, I was caught up in my own little world I guess!

No apologies nesseary.. I am just glad you got it fixed..

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:25 PM »
That’s why IceShanty is an awesome site; where I call home, because almost everyone here is just trying to help fellow ice fishers in any way they can.  We all strive for the same thing; to enjoy the ice fishing experience to the fullest.  I hope I do my part well and many, many others fill in the blanks regarding tactics and gear and so on.   Ice Shanty is the best place on the planet to help you learn to ice fish.  Period.

DN

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2018, 09:10 AM »

I've been using a 525 in lb, 20v, 2ah drill with a 5" mora (1 year) or 5" lazer (4 years now) setup with 0 problems. I've never killed both my batteries no matter how cold or thick the ice has been

Iceassin what auger are you looking to pair up to your drill? Thats the most important factor to determine how well its going to work
I will be using a new 4" S.M. Laser. I also have a couple of small waterproof/insulated cinch bags that fit nicely over the 4aH batteries I'll be using. And I'm going to experiment with a wrist wrap or brace to avoid injury should it grab. Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2018, 09:27 AM »

Yes, 8” Mora with the bigger 1200 inch pound Fuel. Use 750 for the 6” Mora

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jul 22, 2018, 10:28 AM »
if your used to using these types of tools you should be fine. just always use two hands even if clearing a slightly froze over ice hole. that's when it can bite you when you least expect it. keep every thing close to your body and try not to over extend your arms. you loose stability that way. many of us lean the drill onto our person for better control.

if your not used to it, then maybe a drill plate such as the ice kicker 2 would be better for your safety and slightly under powered drill or if you want to turn a larger auger.

a few have been seriously hurt with their high torque drills last season. with casing breaking where the auxiliary handle attaches. two went to the hospital from members of this site that we know of so far.

always use sharp blades and if you have to push down then they are dull or misaligned and your asking for trouble unless you address the problem. the weight of the drill and auger is enough to cut ice. getting thru the last turn of a large auger can get caught, so lift up some when you know its almost done cutting. i keep the blade turning after the cut to clear the hole of shaving. always keep the same angle once you've committed to the hole your cutting and never change it. this can ruin your blades alignment and catch the side of the hole and bind.

some say nills and mora have the cleanest "break thru" during the last revolution of the auger while others are more of an aggressive pitch to the blades and therefor bind more. so just learn to lift during that time to force the blades to take less material and problem solved.
i use strike master lazers and never used any other brands.

you'll need an adapter if not using a plate. make sure to get one that has a bungee or strap to hold onto the auger for when the chuck lets it go. you never know when that may happen. it happened to me once and that was enough.
kovacs ice master is the adapter i prefer. you may have to buy an extension, but being your in michigan, it probably will never get used. only one season did i need mine so far in michigan. make sure that it is for hand augers if you decide to be prepared for thick ice.
Thanks for all the info here 3300...good stuff. I do like the Kovacs adapter but the ice kicker...maybe not...and here's why. I'm really trying to go one handed for quicker hole hopping when fish are moving aggressively...pole and locator in one hand, drill/auger in the other. I even modified...extended the handle...on my Vex to reduce the amount I have to bend over to pick it up and put it down again. I even have one of those retractable key holders attached to my skimmer belted to my side for quick access. I'm also purchasing a couple of small insulated/waterproof cinch bags that will fit nicely over the drill batteries to keep them from getting wet/cold. When it's time to move, it's time to move. ;) 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2018, 02:03 PM »
i have a 4" lazer also, but i wouldn't try it one handed. i did wrench my wrist clearing slush from an already opened hole once and once is enough.the bit caught the side of the hole and that's all it took.
 i use a marcum shuttle that holds rods and a drill/auger and bring a scoop and i'm good setting the shuttle down and drill my hole(s) and then check them. i typically drill lots of holes unless i'm on a known hot spot or reopen my old holes.
i use a 6" lazer for ice in the my area. if i go go north in northern lower michigan then i use a 4" for scouting and most often end up fishing from them not knowing if fish are there. if i'm setting up to be in a shelter then i use my 6" up there and not do much scouting.

the icekicker idea is if you wanted to make big holes or have an under powered drill for the size hole you want to make.

i like the retractable scoop idea. what version have you found works for this setup? kinda surprised no one sells it as a kit.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jul 22, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I have two Mora Nova augers (5” and 6”) with which I use the following 22mm adapter with a Milwaukee Fuel drill. The handle swivels preventing the chance of ever jamming your wrist. I ordered my Mora Novas from Latvia and the auger adapter from Russia. The Mora Nova has a more aggressive cutting head than the standard Lazer and uses the same blades as the Lazer synthetic auger.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2018, 09:24 PM »
do not try drilling old holes. you will most likely ruin your blade and if not, you could get hurt when the blade suddenly jams in the hole. I would drill a new hole next to the old hole if you really want to fish that spot.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2018, 04:40 AM »
i have a 4" lazer also, but i wouldn't try it one handed. i did wrench my wrist clearing slush from an already opened hole once and once is enough.the bit caught the side of the hole and that's all it took.
 i use a marcum shuttle that holds rods and a drill/auger and bring a scoop and i'm good setting the shuttle down and drill my hole(s) and then check them. i typically drill lots of holes unless i'm on a known hot spot or reopen my old holes.
i use a 6" lazer for ice in the my area. if i go go north in northern lower michigan then i use a 4" for scouting and most often end up fishing from them not knowing if fish are there. if i'm setting up to be in a shelter then i use my 6" up there and not do much scouting.

the icekicker idea is if you wanted to make big holes or have an under powered drill for the size hole you want to make.

i like the retractable scoop idea. what version have you found works for this setup? kinda surprised no one sells it as a kit.
I don't know what "version" it is, but they are usually available at a local hardware store or Menards/Home Depot. I just drill a hole in the end of my scoop handle and "thread" the split ring on the key retractor through it...works great. I'm also trying to come up with an idea on how to make/attach a bi-pod to my drill/auger to avoid laying it on the ice. So far I'm coming up blank...but I'm still thinking. ;D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2018, 04:44 AM »
do not try drilling old holes. you will most likely ruin your blade and if not, you could get hurt when the blade suddenly jams in the hole. I would drill a new hole next to the old hole if you really want to fish that spot.
X2...I don't even cut old holes drilling by hand for the same reason. 6" or so next to the old one makes no difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.