Author Topic: first sonar - Garmin EchoMap - did I buy the wrong transducer?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
Ordered myself a fishfinder/chartplotter and took it out of the box today.

Never owned one before so I'm relying on YouTube and the User Manual, which seems focused on boat navigation, which I'm not interested in.

The unit I got is "Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 43cv with LakeVu HD Maps and Transducer 010-01796-01"

I got a echoMap rather than the Striker because I'm interested in the contour maps.  Was hoping to use one one for both summer and winter fishing.  Must be portable, as I have boats and canoes at two different lakes in different states.

The display unit seems fairly intuitive, but the transducer confuses me.  It looks like it is supposed to be strapped to a trolling motor?  I saw someone stick an transducer on the floor of their canoe with a blob of duct sealant - is it that easy?  How sensitive is it to mounting orientation?

Also I was hoping for something I could just toss in an 8" auger hole through the ice (with a foam float) but I'm not sure how that would work with this long skinny transducer.

I'm pretty handy about rigging up a solution, but need some guidance on what my options are.

Do I need to return this for another package, or can I make this work?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: first sonar - Garmin EchoMap - did I buy the wrong transducer?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2018, 07:31 PM »
The clear-vu function is why the transducer is the long skinny type.  It can be used for ice but will need a second hole or you run the risk of getting tangled up.

Getting it level is a must especially for ice when you want your jig in the cone.  You should be able to get it to hang below a float but that won't do you any good when you're on the move in your boat as it will just drag along and point back behind you.

It should have come with a transom mount bracket.  My advice would be to mount that to the boat so you can use it at speed and get the CV functionality.  If you want the CV for the canoe you can rig a float, get another transom bracket or let it shoot thru the hull.  Drop the extra coin and get the ice ducer for hard water.  If you can live without the CV in the canoe you can leave the stock transducer on the boat full time and use the ice ducer instead as it is designed to hang below a float.

I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2018, 06:28 AM »
The clear-vu function is why the transducer is the long skinny type.  It can be used for ice but will need a second hole or you run the risk of getting tangled up.

Getting it level is a must especially for ice when you want your jig in the cone.  You should be able to get it to hang below a float but that won't do you any good when you're on the move in your boat as it will just drag along and point back behind you.

It should have come with a transom mount bracket.  My advice would be to mount that to the boat so you can use it at speed and get the CV functionality.  If you want the CV for the canoe you can rig a float, get another transom bracket or let it shoot thru the hull.  Drop the extra coin and get the ice ducer for hard water.  If you can live without the CV in the canoe you can leave the stock transducer on the boat full time and use the ice ducer instead as it is designed to hang below a float.

Thanks that helps.  Trying to understand what the CV functionality gets me.  This is what creates the photo-like images of underwater structure, right?  Is it true that you can't see things directly below the transducer?  Seems like that would be a problem for ice fishing.

Which ice transducer is compatible with this unit?  It has a 4-pin connection.

Also can I power this off my 12V trolling motor battery?  I see 4 leads on the harness - red( positive) , black (negative), 3A fused line, plus brown lead for ?????

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2018, 05:05 PM »
I have a transducer that will work with your finder. It is the ice fishing one PM me if interested
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2018, 05:55 PM »
The CV is for finding structure like submerged trees and such.  My understanding is it takes very thin slices to get that picture type view.  Nice in a boat but pointless for ice.  That transducer does CV and standard sonar and you select what you want to see on the screen so it will work for ice in sonar view.

Yes you can run it off any DC power source.  You'll have to check the instructions for the wiring as my Striker only has two.  I would imagine the fused lead is the hot and the extra pair are probably for networking.

The only 4 pin ice ducer I know of is the GT8HW-IF.  That's the one I use, its adjustable from 16 to 24 degrees and can be had for $100.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I have a transducer that will work with your finder. It is the ice fishing one PM me if interested

thanks - PM sent!

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2018, 08:22 PM »
The CV is for finding structure like submerged trees and such.  My understanding is it takes very thin slices to get that picture type view.  Nice in a boat but pointless for ice.  That transducer does CV and standard sonar and you select what you want to see on the screen so it will work for ice in sonar view.

Yes you can run it off any DC power source.  You'll have to check the instructions for the wiring as my Striker only has two.  I would imagine the fused lead is the hot and the extra pair are probably for networking.

The only 4 pin ice ducer I know of is the GT8HW-IF.  That's the one I use, its adjustable from 16 to 24 degrees and can be had for $100.

OK, as long as I can toggle the CV mode  on an off, depending on whether I'm in open water or ice.  Do both modes use CHIRP for target separation?  Or do I lose the CHIRP if I select Traditional sonar mode?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2018, 09:59 PM »
The CHIRP works on the standard sonar.  FWIW I've not really noticed any difference with it on or off when ice fishing.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2018, 08:53 AM »
looking at what it would take to upgrade - these "portable kits" that Garmin sells for $100 - they include the bag, battery, and charger, but not the ice transducer, is that right?  Plus another $100 for the ice transducer ?

I may build a portable box out of a Coleman cooler, and see if I can rig up a way to submerge the ClearVu transducer through the hole with an old tip-up frame...

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2018, 10:09 AM »
You might want to check out Hodges Marine online to see their prices - cheapest I was able to find.  You can make the skimmer transducer hang down straight by zip tying a coil/loop in the cable.  Having the GPS navigation along with the contour mapping is a great function of this unit that helps locate potential spots and to save the hot spots - main reason I got the unit I have.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2018, 11:05 AM »
You might want to check out Hodges Marine online to see their prices - cheapest I was able to find.  You can make the skimmer transducer hang down straight by zip tying a coil/loop in the cable.  Having the GPS navigation along with the contour mapping is a great function of this unit that helps locate potential spots and to save the hot spots - main reason I got the unit I have.

thanks I'm thinking about rigging up some sort of rigid arm attached to a cooler to stabilize the skimmer transducer horizontally on the underside of the hole where it will be out of the way.  That project will have to wait until the end of open water season.  Headed to Cayuga Lake tomorrow to see if I can get into some lake trout.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I can't find the QuickDraw option anywhere in the menu.  I have updated the latest Garmin software 4.20.  I have the transducer plugged in even though I'm just sitting in my office.  How do I test QuickDraw functionality?  I have a 16 GB microSD card inserted.  Does it have to be formatted/blank?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 10:27 PM »
If you're in simulation mode try turning that off.  If that doesn't get it just look for quick draw in the index of the manual.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.