New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Massive Muskie  (Read 18821 times)

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Massive Muskie
« Reply #120 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Esox-well now you got me curious about the muskie ive caught. I always thought it was a true muskie but ill have to show someone who knows a little more than me to find out for sure. Either way the blue in it made it a beautiful lookin fish
Well to be honest it would depend on what Canal..If your talking about the Barge Canal... Then you would most likely be talking Tigers And they are WAY under fished  !!  

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Either way the blue in it made it a beautiful lookin fish
You got that right !! They are some of the prettiest freshwater fish that swim..

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Yes the good ol barge. There is only a few broken lines on the fish but there is also a few horizontal lines on the cheeks. Im just not so sure anymore

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Yes the good ol barge. There is only a few broken lines on the fish but there is also a few horizontal lines on the cheeks. Im just not so sure anymore
The pure bred would have sharp points on it's fins and tail. A tiger will have rounded off fins like a pike..

Offline pikemaster9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • o u didnt catch any fish WELL LOTTY FRICKEN DAH!!!
« Reply #124 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »
That's a real beauty man. Nice job on catch and release!!! You are a true sportsman!!!

Offline NitroMusky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:17 PM »
A FISH IS "TAINTED" because it was caught out of season, give me a break.

And snagging should be legal too, right? just kidding  ;D

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:20 PM »

I have lived within a short distance of Lamoka and Waneta Lake all my life.  Believe me, I have seen bigger muskie come out of these lakes than the fifty-incher you are all talking about here.  (Great catch, btw.  I say take the pic and put it back.  I do it all the time.)  They've gone over seventy inches out of these lakes.  Yet, the DEC will tell you there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that a Muskie can grow to such a size in such small, shallow lakes.  There is no doubt about it, if this is a Lamoka Muskie, it is a true Muskellunge.  It is not a Tiger Muskie.  They never stock Tiger Muskie in these lakes; there's no need to!  Tiger Muskie are sterile and cannot reproduce.  They put them in bodies of water to help correct imbalances in the eco-system and then the Tiger Muskie all die after one generation.   Maybe it just looks like a Tiger Muskie.  Or maybe someone isn't telling the truth.

I've seen Muskies get hit by boats on these lakes many times.  They like to sun themselves and quite frequently they get hit.  There are many Muskies in Wanteta and Lamoka Lakes!  But the big ones are sure hard to get.  The old timers will tell you stories; and how!  I knew this old timer over there that fished for Muskie 50-60 hours a week.  Let me tell you, he used some big bait and big lures.  He had one contraption that you put a baby duck in, like a little cage with hooks on it.  What a riot.  I love talking about these "fresh water gators" with the old  timers over there on these lakes.  

If you are ever driving through there, between the lakes, stop at Ray Dann's Trading Post and step back in time.  Immediately upon entering, look to the left a little and you will see a monster musky mount, the work of a close, personal friend of mine. Believe it or not, that fish on the wall is the fish you see in the picture below.  He did one other mount that was even bigger, it currently hangs in the lobby of the DEC HQ in East Avon, NY.  These fish were all small compared to another that was taken out of Waneta.  That was the one the DEC said couldn't have come from that lake.  I will have to find out some more information about that fish and let you all know.  I can't remember the details other than that baby was 72" long.

I am so glad that while typing this post I happened to remember that I had this picture in my computer.  I knew you Muskie-heads would dig this!

This is what was written on the back of the actual picture that I scanned-

November 1978

Muskie caught by Dick Fleet in Lamoka Lake.

46 lb 5 1//2 oz

54" Long

26" Girth

If you were standing in the exact place that Muskie is in the picture (today), you would be able to see him mounted on the back wall through the right window in the background.  I can't drive by Ray Dann's Trading Post without stopping in for a soda or a pack of gum for the kids, or something.  I just like the way the place smells and the friendly smiles I get and I always like to look up at that Muskie Mount on the back wall.  What a beauty.

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline jrmPikeFreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing For Life!!!
« Reply #127 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Just for the record,
i didn't catch this fish. The pic was being sent to many peoples phones and it was sent to me.I thought it was an awesome fish so i posted the pic.If i knew it was going to cause controversy i would have never posted it.

Offline fisherhahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:44 PM »
If I caught that thing I'd have plenty of pictures too!  Send me all the tickets you want.  Guarantee you argue a little bit in front of a judge and your off the hook.  Too many what if's to actually get in trouble over taking a couple pics....I vote pure muskie...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:58 PM »
It's a pure, even pures can have markings on their gill plates, I have a few to my credit like that. Color and markings vary from fish to fish, we have caught 50" full spotted to almost clear ones off the same lake, and it's a small lake.

A few variations from 1 lake, last is a tiger...

Offline SUNYESF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:42 PM »
awesome fish.....i woulda taken a pic too.....some people question if he was targeting muskie but it was said it was caught in a 6 inch hole, why on earth would someone target muskies using a 6 inch hole? must of been targeting something else like pickeral

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:46 PM »
awesome fish.....i woulda taken a pic too.....some people question if he was targeting muskie but it was said it was caught in a 6 inch hole, why on earth would someone target muskies using a 6 inch hole? must of been targeting something else like pickeral
There aint no way that fish came out of a 6" hole !! That fishes girth is way bigger than 19 "

Offline mlake4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:50 PM »
thats a slam pig :o

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:54 PM »
It's a pure, even pures can have markings on their gill plates, I have a few to my credit like that. Color and markings vary from fish to fish, we have caught 50" full spotted to almost clear ones off the same lake, and it's a small lake.

A few variations from 1 lake, last is a tiger...

How do you like your Tuffy ?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:21 PM »
We don't own a Tuffy, the 2 boats in the pics are a Tracker Targa 17 and an old tiller 16' Alumacraft, mines a Skeeter S-135, built on the same hulls as todays new 17' Tuffy

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Just for the record,
i didn't catch this fish. The pic was being sent to many peoples phones and it was sent to me.I thought it was an awesome fish so i posted the pic.If i knew it was going to cause controversy i would have never posted it.

Hey dude I did the same thing......I'm not criticizing you either so don't take it that way. Fish of a lifetime sent to my phone so I posted it after editting to preserve private info since I don't personally know the guy who caught the fish. He's a friend of a friend of a friend.....etc. You get the picture I'm sure. Why would anyone object to posting a fish of a life time like this is beyond me. There are other factors but some people just like to stir the pot. Don't sweat it man. This fish was caught recently.

Here's the one I posted in NJ's site and yes there are fish that big in NJ  :roflmao: :roflmao::-

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:51 PM »
We don't own a Tuffy, the 2 boats in the pics are a Tracker Targa 17 and an old tiller 16' Alumacraft, mines a Skeeter S-135, built on the same hulls as todays new 17' Tuffy
With your screen name and the windshield in the last pic looked like it was from a Tuffy. Most people out here have no Idea what a tuffy even is. Skeeter makes a nice boat !!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:31 PM »
Never gave the name thing a thought LOL now those are ugly but a great casting platform. The wind screen in question is on the Targa.

Offline Ronix 51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:33 AM »
awesome fish glad it was unharmed! great catch

Offline frank9pt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Aug 12, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Don't worry he made it...caught him last weekend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor