Author Topic: What State has the best ice fishing ?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: What State has the best ice fishing ?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Not Utah  >:(

How about Texas  :P

We need to convince all the people migrating from the west coast about going to Texas  ;)2 They dont like to ice fish anyway, until they get here  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Stinkyfinger, I grew up in Colorado, spent 35 years there. The state is awesome, we go back every year to visit. The problem with Colorado is the people. I miss the mountains, but I do not miss the people. So yea you would have to live in the Dakotas, but you don't have to live with all the transplants who have all but ruined the state.
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:18 AM »
Any state that offers diversity. This is why I’m beyond content in Wisconsin. I don’t have to go more than an hour from my house and I’ll be on bodies of water that have salmon, perch, trophy pike, walleyes, and Lake Trout....plus anything else in between. If I only targeted one or two species then I’d say someplace different...but I won’t trade the different options I have in my own backyard.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:04 AM »
I don’t see anyone from Alaska chiming in. I guess they don’t give away their secret, but I’d like to go there someday to fish their hardwaters. I bet it’s spectacular up there!

Alaska ice fishing is nothing to brag about when compared to the upper Midwest. One of the big reasons I moved back. Catching stocked trout and landlocked salmon gets boring imo. Some decent pike fishing in spots if you have the toys to get there.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Stinkyfinger, I grew up in Colorado, spent 35 years there. The state is awesome, we go back every year to visit. The problem with Colorado is the people. I miss the mountains, but I do not miss the people. So yea you would have to live in the Dakotas, but you don't have to live with all the transplants who have all but ruined the state.

I don't know many people in Colorado but they must be pretty stupid politically.  They just voted to make sure their vote in presidential elections never count by allowing there electoral votes go with the national popular vote instead of their citizens vote. I would not give up my vote no matter how good the ice fishing is.
https://www.prageru.com/video/the-popular-vote-vs-the-electoral-college/

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:18 PM »

Agree with everybody. Too many people, high altitude, more weed shops than liquor stores. Generally none too bright either including me. Parts are real pretty though.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:41 PM »
Another vote for Michigan. Libs carry guns. JUne, July, August, and winter. Best fishing on the planet. Thousands of pub land for hunting, countless lakes and streams, Great Lakes, Lk St. Clair - the best fishery in the world..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:54 PM »
I don't know many people in Colorado but they must be pretty stupid politically.  They just voted to make sure their vote in presidential elections never count by allowing there electoral votes go with the national popular vote instead of their citizens vote. I would not give up my vote no matter how good the ice fishing is.
https://www.prageru.com/video/the-popular-vote-vs-the-electoral-college/

Lmao......no need to even campaign in CO now.

I'd have to say best state to ice fish.....MN without a doubt. It's a land of 10,000 lakes and a lot of great fishing.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2019, 06:40 AM »
There's a reason that the biggest and best ice fishing companies are right here in MN.  Otter, Clam, Marcum, Vexilar, Rapala, Northland, Strikemaster,  just to name a few, the list goes on and on.    It really is the center of Ice Fishing. 

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:32 AM »
He’s got a point^^^^^^^^
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:53 AM »
if your leaving ny because you think the fishing is getting worse your crazy. But by all means leave....more fish for me :-), Our DEC does a great job working to restore our fisheries. Many bodies of water have recovered from past escapades. A month in Minnesota is defiantly on my retirement plan....but  can't see leaving NY because you think the fishing is in decline or hunting is declining. More deer now then they ever had in the past.  Maine only allows 5 lines for ice fishing...Vermont 8, NY 7 remember to look at regulations to make sure your new state matches your desired fishing style. 
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Mn can have it. ND fishing sucks mn folks should stay in mn ;D kidding mostly

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Not much better in northern Illinois except we get a little longer season. Nothing great about fishing in Illinois. Probably bringing up the rear. Maybe ahead of Indiana lol

This place sucks for ice fishing. Learning that pretty quickly
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2019, 02:41 PM »
if your leaving ny because you think the fishing is getting worse your crazy. But by all means leave....more fish for me :-), Our DEC does a great job working to restore our fisheries. Many bodies of water have recovered from past escapades. A month in Minnesota is defiantly on my retirement plan....but  can't see leaving NY because you think the fishing is in decline or hunting is declining. More deer now then they ever had in the past.  Maine only allows 5 lines for ice fishing...Vermont 8, NY 7 remember to look at regulations to make sure your new state matches your desired fishing style.

15 lines on champlain.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Whatever state I happen to be fishing in that day!

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Aquarium....fishing and hunting isn't bad here in upstate ny...but the NYC crowd (dems) and our communist governor....I'm planning to leave NY too...gun laws and taxes are getting worse every day....

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:06 PM »
If your looking for some of the best upland bird hunting, especially pheasants along with big game and ice fishing then the Dakotas and Minnesota are for you.

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:56 AM »
I'm gonna have to say Minnesota aswell, I live in Maine would say Maine but I'd rather see more people head out yer guys way. Don't like invasive species up here much  ;D not really talking bout the fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.