Author Topic: Binge Shopping  (Read 4181 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Binge Shopping
« on: Oct 04, 2020, 09:05 PM »
In this last month or so I've blowing through money on ice fishing gear, its getting ridiculous but I love it LOL.

Got a new TUCR PN being made, just ordered a Shimano 500 size reel from Japan, I was waiting for the Vanford 500 but couldn't wait and found
a nicer reel (overkill)

I can't even mention the amount of line, lures and ice gear I have purchased this month because of all the new 2020 ice gear.

With my luck we won't get any ice haha.

Anyone else blowing money they shouldn't???

Pics will come when my combo is here.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Binge Shopping
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2020, 09:13 PM »
Lol, I did that last year for ice fishing, may have went a bit crazy this spring on open water stuff, including rod making equipment and expanding my soft plastic making molds.

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2020, 10:33 PM »
 Curious on what reel you went with?

Offline Lupi151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2020, 11:22 PM »
I hear ya i spent about $200 on various jigging raps  :icefish:

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2020, 12:33 AM »
So far I've gotten a 2 Mag's custom rods, A Garmin 64st, a bunch of Gamakatsu tackle boxes, Milwaukee 2804 drill, a couple sets of base layers, Muck Arctic Pro's, 2 new Genz boxes for the flashers, Amped battery, a bunch of lipless cranks and spoons, a bunch of  tip-up rigging stuff, and a Plano sportsman's trunk to store it all in and help haul it around. I'm currently waiting on a Pistol bit, and a pair of Fish Monkey gloves to arrive and as soon as the Otter Lodge hubs are in stores I plan on getting one of those. I put a Clam cargo net and a sled organizer on the trunk and plan on adding a rod holder and a couple of other things to it.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2020, 05:55 AM »
My first couple years out of college I blew a fair amount each season on new fishing and hunting gear, most of the big stuff I found a good sale price on. I was finally making decent money and wanted to have nice equipment. Got a few big items each year and after a couple years I was pretty much set. I'm glad I bought the stuff then because now being married with a kid and a house its harder to justify spending a bunch of money on myself. Since I have nice equipment for fishing and hunting now, I don't really fall for all the new stuff that comes out every year. Kind of just replace when needed.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I've gone the opposite direction - binge donating.  Slowly came to the realization that I had x10 the stuff one actually needs and started outfitting a couple of friends with gear I rarely (if ever) used.  Now I'm down to about x5 the stuff one actually needs...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:19 AM »
I binge shop for gear at garage sales but i havent been into a store in 5 months.if i do need something i buy it online.with the ice seasons being so short for many years here in Michigan,im not buying anymore ice fishing gear other than bait.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:34 AM »
I sold almost everything last year and never went. This year I bought just enough to go with a Marcum Showdown, 2 Rods and reels, A sled to convert to into a windbreak, bibs and a few Jigs. I spent $326 and sold more than $900 worth of stuff last year. I am all set waiting for early November ice to come on. Should be fishing by November 10th.
<===Lefty===

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:41 AM »
It keeps coming in waves.  Bought a few items off clearance early back in the spring, then started the summer looking over what all I needed.  Ended up buying online for plastic baits and bobber floats.  Added some terminal tackle from the idea here on the Shanty and I think I may be good.  Still waiting to see what the season looks like, but I can see one more round of Binge Shopping before the ice melts. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I don't binge...I splurge now and then.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:52 AM »
So far I've gotten a 2 Mag's custom rods, A Garmin 64st, a bunch of Gamakatsu tackle boxes, Milwaukee 2804 drill, a couple sets of base layers, Muck Arctic Pro's, 2 new Genz boxes for the flashers, Amped battery, a bunch of lipless cranks and spoons, a bunch of  tip-up rigging stuff, and a Plano sportsman's trunk to store it all in and help haul it around. I'm currently waiting on a Pistol bit, and a pair of Fish Monkey gloves to arrive and as soon as the Otter Lodge hubs are in stores I plan on getting one of those. I put a Clam cargo net and a sled organizer on the trunk and plan on adding a rod holder and a couple of other things to it.

That's like 5 years of purchases for many....lol   Addicting, I understand, I tinker in my garage in the off season and went crazy last spring and summer with Milwaukee tools. All sizes sorts.  Love them.  No more air or power cords for me...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Not sure its a binge or just filling a niche ..just bought a pair of SI Trekker bibs (got to do a review post on these soon) as last season weather conditions/season my SI Predator were to hot . I think I may get a Okuma BaitFeeding reels for dead sticking ...1000...or...500 ???? I have way way way more jigs then I will ever need or use ...but certain I will find something that I want/need to fill a cart to get free shipping . I am lucky enough that I can pass along some unused gear to other up and coming ice anglers ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Sold my helix g1 and got a g2, 3 reels, line, scored a new in the box 6" lazer for 40, selling my 5" lazer, got a m18 drill because my 7 year old menards drill was ready to retire to light duty

still need to build a few rods and some tip downs

Catchin' Fish

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Yep...been on a bit of a binge myself upgrading a lot of my equipment. New insulated shelter, better tip ups, more lures.

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:11 PM »
I binged hard last year. I hadn't been ice fishing before so I got it allll.... sled, couple rods/reels, rod case, drill, 6" K-Drill and 8" Lite-Flite, float bibs/float jacket/hat/gloves/boots/spikes, spud bar and other safety gear, tip-ups, tackle, chair, a Garmin 93sv that I got for open water use as well, 30Ah battery for the graph, Buddy heater, Otter hub (end of season closeout), and more misc stuff... spent over $3k after all was said and done, though the 93sv, shuttle, battery, and battery box make up over a grand alone. Well worth the cost.

This year I'm just gonna get another light panfish rod, MAYBE a stiffer ML rod for walleye, and some tackle. I also got a 9Ah battery for my drill but I got it more for my leaf blower and weed whacker. I have everything else I need, thankfully! Gotta cool it... no pun intended  ;D

Offline LSE138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:51 PM »
I've definitely been binging: Aqua-Vu HD7i, two 13 fishing reels, two Ceymar reels, I've wrapped two custom ice rods, purchased two more rods, started painting my own custom tungsten ice jigs (3mm to 9mm), started pouring my own custom ice plastics, plus too much clothing and gear. It's disturbing when I write it all down...

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:52 PM »
Lots of articles on people stressed out due to pandemic.  Psychologists suggest doing things that promote inner peace. If you are stressed out and buying some gear makes you feel better, you are making progress. Don’t feel guilt. That will only cause a relapse.  Buy some more.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Lots of articles on people stressed out due to pandemic.  Psychologists suggest doing things that promote inner peace. If you are stressed out and buying some gear makes you feel better, you are making progress. Don’t feel guilt. That will only cause a relapse.  Buy some more.

As long as you can afford it and are not going into debt. Most of the time when people therapy shop it is only temporary relief when they make the purchase, then they get down again when they realize the probably didn't need it and have to pay off their credit card.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Curious on what reel you went with?

Shimano Soare CI4+ 500s
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Binged pretty hard the first couple years, I have almost anything you could want or need at this point. After the initial couple years of binging I mainly just upgrade my gear. Last year I sold my Otter Lodge Xt650 and bought a new X-over pro lodge that was on clearance at Scheels. This year i sold my spare flasher and bought a helix 5, mainly for my pontoon but I’m also curious about using one for ice fishing. I’m to the point now that i think i need to down size, I have an eskimo 6120i hub that ive used twice in two year, hardly justifies keeping it around. The gear is half the fun of ice fishing!!!!!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:21 PM »
As long as you can afford it and are not going into debt. Most of the time when people therapy shop it is only temporary relief when they make the purchase, then they get down again when they realize the probably didn't need it and have to pay off their credit card.
Post purchase dissonance sucks but I don't take it seriously.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:18 AM »
I've been pretty good so far.  Got a new pair of ice cleats and some Finicky Foolers.  That's been it.  After not having safe ice last year, I want to spend less on ice fishing.  In the market for a baitfeeder reel if the prices drop.  That's about it.

Now just don't ask me how much I've spent on my open water fishing!   :whistle: ;D
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2020, 10:23 PM »
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2020, 11:42 PM »
How do you think that shimano soare will compare to the new shimano vanford?? Or how does the soare compare to the stradic c4?

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2020, 07:11 PM »
How do you think that shimano soare will compare to the new shimano vanford?? Or how does the soare compare to the stradic c4?

Higher end then both, its close to the Vanford but with more bearings.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Could you send a link on where you bought that reel?

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2020, 10:26 PM »
I do seasonal work, landscaping in summer, plowing in winter.

Money is a plenty April-November so that's when I buy most of my ice fishing gear haha. I went on a bender this summer. Bought a snowmobile, 2 person flip over, and I'll buy a gas auger and underwater camera before first ice.

I might invest in a few automatic fishermen too ;)
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Could you send a link on where you bought that reel?

I ordered it from Digitaka, got the reel in 4 days from Japan to the U.S.

Crazy fast...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2020, 01:39 PM »

Now if Shimano will just make a $100 reel price point like the Soare Ci4+ well at least offer that shallow spool in other lower price point models.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.