The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Will it be safe?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
Will it be safe?
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:07 AM »
We were planning to head north for one last trip this coming weekend.  Planned on taking the quad to chase the perch around. With the warm weather coming through the week, will the 4 hour drive to Manistee county be worth it to fish Portage Lake?  I appreciate the feedback in advance.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Will it be safe?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Only time will truly tell for sure.  My thoughts are you may have trouble getting the quad to safe ice.  Over night temps are still supposed to be below freezing but the sun and daytime temps will cause shore ice to start pulling away.  There are no major storms forecast (as of now)between now and the weekend and with minimal ice lose last weekend I would say 1 and possibly 2 more weekends with shore to ice being the limiting factor.  You will most likely have clean ice with the sun melting whatever snow might be left over the course of the week.

I was on 10" of clear ice with 2 in of white last Saturday a little over an hour SE of Manistee.

Offline Aataxidermy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:08 PM »
No way sorry.  We have a place in Irons also in Manistee national forest.  Last week was 60 and rainy, didn’t get below freezing for 3 days straight.  This week 40’s now and mid 50’s by Wednesday. If you like your quad don’t try it

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I am currently sitting on 16” of clear ice. Benzie County. Fish are biting
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Manistee forest got more heavy rain than Benzie. Also 2” of fresh snow.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:59 PM »
There is any wherefrom 16 to 30 inches of ice around here. The shore ice is good in most places as it is refreezing every night. The last 3 nights has been close to zero for a low. Ice is here for a while even with the warmer temps as long as it refreezes every night. It did not get 60 around here. We lost a lot of snow from the rain so any where there is a creek or pressure crack stay away

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  we will pay attention to it the closer we get to the weekend.  might have to hit open water down here instead if I can get the boat ready.  Be careful out there everyone.  Tight lines!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:33 PM »
I’ll be here till Wednesday. Will post conditions as I leave ice Wednesday afternoon. It’s 30 degrees right now making more ice

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  we will pay attention to it the closer we get to the weekend.  might have to hit open water down here instead if I can get the boat ready.  Be careful out there everyone.  Tight lines!

As of right now I stand on shore ice being the limiting factor.  It has been high teens at night here and my pond edges continue to refreeze, deer are crossing it and had a pair of geese swimming in a pocket opened up by the aerator generated by our windmill.  High winds had opened it up, cold nights have locked it back up.  I hear those spring coho calling you but I think 1 to 2 more weekends are still very reasonable.

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:48 PM »
14” of clear ice on crystal. Snowmobile and quads out on trout grounds.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:02 PM »
14” of clear ice on crystal. Snowmobile and quads out on trout grounds.

Any particular lure/bait that's been the hot thing for the lakers on Crystal?  Sand Kickers/Pimples/Tube Jigs?

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Not sure. I couldn’t get a bite

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback.  I spoke with a friend up there this evening and he confirmed what most were saying, ice is fine but edges could be questionable. I have decided to make the trip north but leave the 4 wheeler at home.  I hope to be catching those big yellow bellies early on Saturday.
Will post results after I return on Sunday!
Be safe out there everyone and tight lines!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Snowing now all edges I saw were fine. Still good ice . Starting to soften up a little but we had snowmobiles everywhere on crystal today.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Snowing now all edges I saw were fine. Still good ice . Starting to soften up a little but we had snowmobiles everywhere on crystal today.

Thanks, JD.

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Had a pretty good day and a half.  Not too many people out there. Ended up with 35 perch to bring home.  Combination of white and yellow 9"-12" with the biggest at 12.5".  Most caught in 20 fow with jigs tipped with waxies.  A lot of throw backs. Ice is going fast.  Still had 10 inches but honeycombed and the north shore is water out about 6 feet in areas.  By the time we got off today were we walked in from the south was slushy.  Enjoyed getting out one last time but time to put the ice gear up. Thanks to all for the info, it is much appreciated.

For those of you who are still getting on it be careful, and tight lines!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Nice Job, glad we could help.  I was out of town for work and could make it out this weekend but did get into some spring Coho and a couple Steelies in your backyard, lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.