New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: How to jig for Splake  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Cswimmar24

• IceShanty Rookie
How to jig for Splake
« on: Nov 30, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Hey everyone, trying to target a species I haven’t had much luck with over the years this year. My buddies and I are looking to target splake and actually catch some. We primarily jig for them. Anyone have any pointers?
Thanks!

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
Re: How to jig for Splake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Although I've never fished there,they catch splake in Limekiln lake in Inlet.not much info but it's something.good luck!!

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:01 AM »
A good depth finder is a good thing to have.  Thru the ice we watch them to move up off the bottom and go for a minnow or jig.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2018, 11:13 AM »
limekiln is the place to go,,,,be prepared to catch 9 inchers though

Offline Cswimmar24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Thanks! We will defiantly be hitting it up. We jig for lakers a lot and are looking for another challenge. We gave limekiln a shot a couple of years ago but didn’t have much luck. Didn’t know where to even begin actually. We will probably spend a lot more time there this year.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Sent you a PM...I think.  It said it was sent successfully, but it's not in my SENT queue. 
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I live in the state of Wyoming and I catch a lot of splake on customized Jigging Rapalas. I repaint a size 7 with glow in the dark jig paint (it has a much better glow than Rapalas factory glow paint jobs). I then replace the factory treble (too small) with a couple sizes larger Owner or Gamakatsu treble and hang it slightly lower with a piece of wire. Tip it with a minnow head and jig it very aggressively for several strokes (I use a 7 foot medium light rod with 6lb test). Pause it, make a few shorter strokes, pause and make larger aggressive strokes. Cover the water column from about 8 feet down to about a foot off the bottom. Hits are usually on the fall or just after you stop to pause. If you are allowed to use more than one rod set up a deadstick with a small glow in the dark jig like a Northland Gypsi tipped with a small live (if legal or dead if not legal) minnow set around a foot to two feet off the bottom. I use a much shorter rod and walk over and pull the line up in the water column frequently. Splake often hit this rig very light so a spring bobber or other lite detection device is required. Hits often happen right after moving the rig and letting it sit again. I've had a lot of splake follow the deadstick up and hit close to the bottom of my ice hole. Also if you miss a fish, they will often hit again if they haven't stolen the bait so keep doing whatever you were doing. If action stops, check your lure as it was likely debaited.  If you locate fish at a certain level move both setups to that depth as splake are a schooling fish. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.