The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Normark Finbore 3 Rocks!  (Read 11201 times)

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Normark Finbore 3 Rocks!
« on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I have to start off my first post with this awesome lil auger! All I can say is wow What a great purchase! I got a 6" Finbore 3 yesterday from the fishing hole in Winnipeg picked it up today went and tested it out on 36" of ice near Thompson and 48 seconds later "no joke!" I'm through I'm amazed at how easy this thing chews through the ice with no down pressure at all! A little exercise never hurt anyone! Just wanted to let the folks know that this auger is a great little hand held and i highly recommend it and you defiantly don't need to be scared of thick ice with it although you may get a lil tuckerd if you plan on punching 30+ holes with it! haha
 save your money and buy this beaut of a auger !

any questions or comments please post

Thanks for reading

Mark aka burty         

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Normark Finbore 3 Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:54 PM »
x2 man! I've got the 8" and noticed less exertion going from the Mora 6" to the Finbore 8". I'm no he-man but I can cut with this thing all day! I want some royalties for this post lol.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:18 PM »
YAh I hear ya I bought the 6" thinking that going to an 8" would just be plain crazy after using a mora 8" a few times this year I gave up with it and just asked to borrow a gas auger from a guy i know. but no need for that any more!
and now i kinda wish i would have bought an 8" but o well next year its only a 100.00CAD better then 400.00-550.00 for a gasser

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:09 AM »
I used a 4.5" fin bore II for near 10 years. I lost it a few weeks back. I wasn't feeling too well after battling the flu and in my stupor, left it in the parking lot when I was  loading my truck.

Talk about broken hearted.  :'(

That little auger had thousands and thousands of holes under it's belt. I had to pick up an HT 6" as a temporary replacement.

I'll get a new Fin Bore as soon as I find one.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I used a 4.5" fin bore II for near 10 years. I lost it a few weeks back. I wasn't feeling too well after battling the flu and in my stupor, left it in the parking lot when I was  loading my truck.

Talk about broken hearted.  :'(

That little auger had thousands and thousands of holes under it's belt. I had to pick up an HT 6" as a temporary replacement.

I'll get a new Fin Bore as soon as I find one.

RG

The finbore III is availible at any canadian tire store and last I herd all there augers were on sale!  Might be a good time to pick one up!

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:30 AM »
is a fin-bore basically the same thing as a mora?

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:32 AM »
The finbore III is availible at any canadian tire store and last I herd all there augers were on sale!  Might be a good time to pick one up!
I'll check that out, Thanks.

No, the Fin Bore is a whole different animal.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:45 AM »
arlright i found it now it is totally different, the first one that came up was just like a mora and it said it was a finbore. you guys know of anywhere i could get one of them of the internet?

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:59 AM »
Go to fish307.com. They are a sponsor of this site. You won't regret getting a finboreIII.

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Love mine. I picked one up when I got tired of messing up the blades on my Nils. Cost me as much as a new head for the Nils and is much less finicky. I just recently bent the handle on mine though. Still cuts, but it has an awkward feel to it. Does anyone know if you can purchase just the handle?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2010, 01:05 PM »
too bad fish307 only has the 4 inchers left :(

-Anomymous

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2010, 07:33 PM »
I got my 6" Fin Bore III from Fish307 back in early January and have been extermely pleased!

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:15 AM »
I'll check that out, Thanks.

No, the Fin Bore is a whole different animal.

RG

Imagine a 12lbs. husqvarna power head sitting on top!!  Now that's a real animal!!

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Imagine a 12lbs. husqvarna power head sitting on top!!  Now that's a real animal!!

LOL

Len you are too crazy!!  Though you are right!!!! 

Your auger is great!!  It cuts through any thickness( cough cough )  without having to pull up to get some of the snow out of the auger.

And the weight....well lets say my Jiffy weighs about 48 pounds wet.....

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Aren't these finbore augers just like a Lazer auger?? The blades seem to have a curve to them VS the Mora's that are flat.

I still like a tanaka on my Mora= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8FUX_R4Vfs

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Laser augers do not fold and have an in line handle, Fin bore folds and has off set handles. Makes a huge difference, drilling with both hands.

RG

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Aren't these finbore augers just like a Lazer auger?? The blades seem to have a curve to them VS the Mora's that are flat.

lazer blades fit the finbore
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:56 AM »
the new finbore does not fold, i think that folding point is a weak point in all augers that fold. and wow that tanaka power head is awesome , where do you find them?

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Generally if you look around you can find the Tanaka power drills for $125-150 in good used condition. Most Maple sugarmakers are selling them in exchange for cordless drills now a days.

Usually www.bascommaple.com has them for sale all the time. I have a few of the Tanaka drills myself.

The best thing about a drill is i can get like 400 holes on a tank of gas and the tank only holds like 16 Ounces of gas. Spill fuel and wipe it up and you never knew you had the drill in your vehicle. The caps on the fuel tank are spill proof. Even with an 8" mora on the drill it still goes just as fast as the 5" and it only weighs 18 1/2 Lbs on my bow scale with an 8" mora on it.

Any of the tanaka's will work from the 210 model which is 21cc up to the 262 which is 26cc. They now have a 27cc but a new drill is $450.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:11 AM »

Not sure what auger you're talking about, but the Fin Bore III is a folding auger. The last one I had for 10 years before losing it. No problems what so ever with the folding point. Very heavy duty. And yes, the laser blades do fit them.
RG

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Well I got a brand new Finbore 3 a few days ago And they have upgraded to the telescoping handle

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Odd. Did they change the FinboreIII from the one they put out last year? I got a deal on one at the end of the season. It definitely folds. Just curious.

Offline 1fishon1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:01 PM »
ive always used a gas auger but this season i got more and more into jigging and decided to buy the finbore 3 to to make it easier to run and gun...all i can say this hand auger hauls a@%.  I have the 6 inch model and drilled 26 inches of ice yesterday and it still works like the first day i used it.
[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetemp/language/www/US/CT/Newington.gif" alt="Click for Newington, Connecticut Forecast" border="0" height

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2010, 01:36 PM »
I have the strikemaster lazer hand auger with the off set handles (had to order that way) and my buddy has the Finbore 3. We seem to cut the same speed ....definately off set handles are the way to go, since your getting double the power.

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Here's a pic of the ultra-compact Fin Bore III Micro 6 incher.
- I reckon' -

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Yeah, I wish they made the ultra compact in 4.5".

I've never seen a Laser with offset handles. My first Mora was offset handles....still cut like crap.

RG

Offline burty12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Yah the off set handles work like a charm! I went out on sat drilled 9 holes in 27" of ice and no sign of slowing down what so ever, my friend came out with his son hes 7yrs old and he even managed to cut his own hole with it took him a lil longer but he was determined and got her done in about 5 mins . and yes if you do end up buying a new Finbore 3 that was manufactured recently It does not come with a folding handle its a telescopic handle  my new finbore came with one.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:43 PM »
Would they be better than a StrikeMaster Lazer Hand Auger?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Man you dug up an old thread. But in answer to your question....YES!

RG

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:41 PM »
How is this compared to a Nils

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.