Author Topic: Basic Set Ups  (Read 630 times)

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Basic Set Ups
« on: Nov 17, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Getting rigged up for ice fishing - what’s a basic rod set up for Trout around here? Rod type, line type, lure, etc. Also, what do you guys use for tip-ups? Thanks in advance.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Basic Set Ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Really, any of that tackle you already have for Dakota ice fishing will work fine on trout. There nothing too precious about them. I've got some old UglySticks that have decent action

and are unbreakable, good for me since I'm rough on equipment. Size 25 and 30 Presidents, 10# red PowerPro main line, 6# Seaguar fluoro leader. Your terminal tackle will be a

little bit  lake dependent. Check with the tackle shops like Colorado Tackle Pro here in the Springs or 11milesports on the lake if you're going to the Mile. I generally stick with

silver/blue or gold/red Kastys, Thomas Buoyant spoons, HD Ice lures, Berkeley Micro Tubes, pink/white for the Mile and white for Antero. Lots and lots of lure choices and they all

work sometimes.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for the help!

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:46 PM »
A ugly stick light rod is a good start with 4lb mono or floro, I say 4lb because you can catch panfish and if you happen to hook into something big it'll give you a chance. Make sure you drag is on medium.  A good start for jigs is a tungsten in pink or neon green plastics, worm like plastics. A container of meal or wax worms you should be set.  I would buy a hand auger 6 inch and a chair with a scoop.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.