Author Topic: Lake of Love was SLOW (1/27/18)  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Lake of Love was SLOW (1/27/18)
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Didn't really show me the love today.

I met Ronco at the Island around 10am, he had made his way there when the gate opened.  He had some perch, but said it was SLOW. I Marked lots of fish, but they were lethargic. Ron left around 11am, but I stayed and fished near the island until 2:30, then headed out.

I totaled 4 perch, 6 browns, 1 bow, and 6 suckers. Perch were average size, 7-8". None of the browns were huge, but they put up good fights on the ultralight. Kept the perch and one sucker for next weekend.

Kinda brutal, but at least I was fishing!

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake of Love was SLOW (1/27/18)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Me and my brother fished it from 11-4 started at dam talked to ronco we caught a lot of small perch and trout than we moved found a big school of jumbos we caught over 60 easy for about half an hour real good action hated to leave but had to make it back before 5

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Ahhhh perch fishing... 40 dead holes, and then the one magic hole.  If I have problems locating a school I have a tendency to get very angry and spend hours drilling holes til i find em, or not. ::) have spent a few angry afternoons on rifle,harvey and blue mesa haha.  This lake of love sounds like a lot of work, hike in, cant bring my flip over or gas auger, no dogs, gotta be out by 5..  but someome said jumbos..
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Me and my brother fished it from 11-4 started at dam talked to ronco we caught a lot of small perch and trout than we moved found a big school of jumbos we caught over 60 easy for about half an hour real good action hated to leave but had to make it back before 5
Nice!  Just gotta find em.  I may have seen you guys when I was walking out.  I talked to some other people who had walked all the way back to the inlet, and I guess it was slow for them back there, too.

I guess today was better by the dam!  Big perch move, so doesn't surprise me.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Ahhhh perch fishing... 40 dead holes, and then the one magic hole.  If I have problems locating a school I have a tendency to get very angry and spend hours drilling holes til i find em, or not. ::) have spent a few angry afternoons on rifle,harvey and blue mesa haha.  This lake of love sounds like a lot of work, hike in, cant bring my flip over or gas auger, no dogs, gotta be out by 5..  but someome said jumbos..
Yeah, they can be frustrating.  But the prospect of jumbos keep us coming back for more punishment!  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Yeah, they can be frustrating.  But the prospect of jumbos keep us coming back for more punishment!  ;)

Yes sir... are you using spikes or wax worms at all??  Cant even find em up  my way, I am considering  ordering some spikes online for a couple perchin trips this month. 

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Nice!  Just gotta find em.  I may have seen you guys when I was walking out.  I talked to some other people who had walked all the way back to the inlet, and I guess it was slow for them back there, too.

I guess today was better by the dam!  Big perch move, so doesn't surprise me.yeah I was wearing a green and black jacket my brother was wearing blue jacket don’t think we talked to you I would have liked to meet you but another time Ron said you got there about an hour before us we stayed late but it payed off for us

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Yes sir... are you using spikes or wax worms at all??  Cant even find em up  my way, I am considering  ordering some spikes online for a couple perchin trips this month.
Caught some of the trout and one of the perch on tungsten with waxies. Others were on Rattlemaster with perch eye.

I get my waxies at pet shops, have you checked there? Otherwise, lots of people order them, but I don't think they ship if it's too cold.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Caught some of the trout and one of the perch on tungsten with waxies. Others were on Rattlemaster with perch eye.

I get my waxies at pet shops, have you checked there? Otherwise, lots of people order them, but I don't think they ship if it's too cold.

Good idea on the pet shop, ill try the one in steamboat.... do i remember correctly, reading you say in another thread that rifle was getting drained.. after this year?? Or has that already occurred.??
 Thinking about making a trip down there and drilling holes til i find em or run outta gas.  I know theyre in there somewhere!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:24 PM »
It was Harvey, but it wasn't completely drained.  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline randall3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:50 PM »
screw it. im takin the hike tomorrow. any tips for a guy whose never been there? parking, trail to take etc?

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:24 PM »
screw it.

Thats how all my perch fishing trips in colorado begin ;D

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:41 PM »
screw it. im takin the hike tomorrow. any tips for a guy whose never been there? parking, trail to take etc?
pack lite bring water find deeper water around 25 fow that’s where we had most success today

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Lots of searching.  Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not.  Glad you found them Catfish.  I will give it another shot later on.  25' is pretty deep but maybe that is where they are at now.  Plenty of water that deep in this lake.  If I only didn't have this pesky thing called work, a job, I would be out more often.

s

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:19 PM »
PM sent
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Last Thursday must have sucked for Slayer and gang don't see a report.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Last Thursday must have sucked for Slayer and gang don't see a report.

I posted one. They removed it-  SLOW! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:07 PM »

I wondered what happened to it.
Hopefully you'll get into 'em tomorrow. I'll be gettin  :( >:( :(!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:07 PM »

Yeah, where is it?? Lots of good info in that one !

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Ha! I thought Slayer took it down to throw off the lurkers...

Good luck tomorrow, guys!  Sounds like you might not need to hike as far to find some jumbos! ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.