Author Topic: New insulated clam 2 person flip up advice...  (Read 889 times)

Offline Airman1

• IceShanty Rookie
New insulated clam 2 person flip up advice...
« on: Dec 27, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Ok, so here is my question.  Just received a Clam Yukon X Thermal 2 man flip up from my wife for Christmas.  Assembled it and was wondering if this thing is to big for one person.  I will occasionally go with a buddy but really wonder if this 100 lb shelter is to much.  I presently have a 1 man non insulated Clam and at times can seem heavy.  Any ideas?  I have heard about the ski upgrade but wanted to hear from guys with the same or similar flip over.  I can trade it out for the 1 man version but the size of this thing is sweet and the room/flexibility is awesome.  Anyway let me know what you think?  Thanks.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New insulated clam 2 person flip up advice...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:17 AM »
Coming in at 100 lbs just for openers seems pretty excessive. Add in the auger, electronics and groceries and you've got something resembling a winter assault on K2. You could sure pull it with an ATV or sled but personally wouldn't care to hitch myself to it. If you're sold on the comfort, a smitty could help, but even that's going to be pretty aerobic.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Pop out the seat(s)...get a sports chair or the like for your one man excursions ...a Smitty sled will do wonders . The Extra room can be priceless if you tend to bring a lot of gear . Maybe now that you have a two man insulated your buddy may go more often.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Early season, when there's no snow on the ice or the few locations that don't require much walking is when I really like mine. Sets up in seconds, easy to move, tons of room for all my junk. When I know there's a lot of snow or if I'm planning a hike, I take my 2 man hub, unless atvs are allowed.

Offline Airman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I do have an ice bike to pull it on those lakes that allow ATVs. I guess I will build a Smitty and see how it pulls.  My wife bought it at Cabela's and once it is used they won't take it back.

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2016, 05:23 PM »
If you can get it to where you want to go, it's a great way to fish

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Ok, so here is my question.  Just received a Clam Yukon X Thermal 2 man flip up from my wife for Christmas.  Assembled it and was wondering if this thing is to big for one person.  I will occasionally go with a buddy but really wonder if this 100 lb shelter is to much.  I presently have a 1 man non insulated Clam and at times can seem heavy.  Any ideas?  I have heard about the ski upgrade but wanted to hear from guys with the same or similar flip over.  I can trade it out for the 1 man version but the size of this thing is sweet and the room/flexibility is awesome.  Anyway let me know what you think?  Thanks.

I though several different things when I read your question.  We have a clam thermal and love it.  They are a bit heavy.  We pack lighter when pulling by hand for a short afternoon.  A second person can pull a small sled dividing equipment weight.
We have a tow bar when hooked to snow machine and you never know its back there.
1..I would not exchange a gift from my wife. 
2..Runners will help a lot.  Smitty or otherwise.
3..You already have a one man.
4..Work on packing lighter when not using an ATV.  Plan trips with 1/2 mile or less walking.
5..Maybe offer to take your wife.  She gave you a nice gift.  My wife has fished with me for 20 yrs.

Happy New Year!!

Offline Airman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  After much discussion I decided to return it to Cabala's.  I just figured that a $700 shelter that would only see an occasional use because of size and weight just was not smart.  I have to say Cabala's was great to work with.  They had no issues with the return. 
I do have an uninsulated Trout trap that works quite well and is a nice compromise in caparison to the new narrow one person shelters being offered.  So I shifted gears a little by using some of my return money by purchasing an new 8in Kdrill which will be here is 8-10 days.  Trying to take some of your advise by lighting my equipment a bit.  Hopefully my  present Hitachi drill is up to the task..  Again thanks for all off your helpful input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.