Author Topic: Smitty sleds  (Read 945 times)

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smitty sleds
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:48 PM »
I know it's probably been discussed before, but what are the best Smitty sled designs you guys have seen? Obviously weight and durability would be the main considerations. I have seen some with wheels to navigate the parking lot, which seems like a good idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smitty sleds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:08 PM »
the lighter the better if you want one time you can take mine out to see how you like it and you are welcome to steal the design

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:23 PM »

First attempt, turned out good for me, helped quite a bit thru the snow, transiting bare ground getting to hard water and off again, and glides across ice - have to watch it when wind is at your back.   I have a few changes to get too soon that deal with the cross bars & considering a few LED lights for the early AM.

It uses 4x bolts that drop in - allows it to assemble/disassemble in less than 2-4 mins

Recently chose to first insulate interior ceiling and wrap around area of the sides nearest the back of the trekker

Tend to leave phone on for wife, kid, work so needed to have power as it drains too quickly on the Western side of PP + will use it for LED lights

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I agree about the weight. I've been looking at search results and found a couple of designs so far. I need to do something so I'm not fishing the shoreline every time there's snow on the ice. The shack seems to get heavier every year that I get older. :-\

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:29 PM »
The shack seems to get heavier every year

They're heavy to begin with and then we tweak, deposit, add to it time and again to personalize it for our fishing style...I'm looking for a sherpa this year.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:35 PM »
It's too bad that atv's and snowmobiles aren't allowed on more lakes. Or like at lake john where you drive out and unload the sled on the ice. I'd be interested in that Sherpa program for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.