Author Topic: New personal best ice LMB  (Read 1121 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
New personal best ice LMB
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Got my personal best ice LMB today a little under 17". Caught a few more smaller ones. Lost a couple of drag rippers on small jigs & flies after they came unbuttoned. Caught 5 bass and 5-6 bluegill.

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New personal best ice LMB
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Very nice!!
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Nice hawg! You ever try a nuclear ant? They're pretty small, but for some reason even the big bass like them. Gills also love them...

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Nice hawg! You ever try a nuclear ant? They're pretty small, but for some reason even the big bass like them. Gills also love them...

Yea, I used to have a few but not sure if they still have their skirts.  Might need to pick up a few more.  I think I caught this big one on a small gill pill with a duppie tail.  I had a nice one on and caught a few more on a micro lindy slick jig with whip tail.  I was targeting panfish.  When you mention the nuclear ants for bass it made me think about how I've caught some big bass on white foam spiders while fly fishing for bluegill.  Must mean something.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:49 PM »
nice fish good job nice pic good post

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Yea, I used to have a few but not sure if they still have their skirts.  Might need to pick up a few more.  I think I caught this big one on a small gill pill with a duppie tail.  I had a nice one on and caught a few more on a micro lindy slick jig with whip tail.  I was targeting panfish.  When you mention the nuclear ants for bass it made me think about how I've caught some big bass on white foam spiders while fly fishing for bluegill.  Must mean something.

The Biggest bass I've caught through the ice have all come on real small jigs. Not sure what it is, but they seem to like the small stuff. Chubby darters can also work well!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Well done Shaun!!! We'll have to get back out on the ice sometime soon!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Nice fish
Never to many short poles

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Very nice fish, Shaun!!

X2 on the nuclear ants -- big bass love em through the ice.  Got one of my biggest LMB of the season last year on a glow white ant.

I find early morning after sunup, LMB target fish-like flashy lures like the darters and flyers.  Then as the sun is overhead around 11am and into the PM bite around 2pm, they start to target more suspended micro baits like ants and small shrimpos, which mimic the plankton forage that is available in the afternoon.  Just my experience.  :)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ledman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Nice fish!!

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Great job man!  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum