Author Topic: What pound test line?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
What pound test line?
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:52 PM »
So Mike and I go ice fishing, and this time he really out fished me.  We were using similar set ups , except he had 4# test line! while I was using 7# fluorocarbon leaders.

Do you think there is a big difference between 7# and 4# test line?  He did break off the biggest fish when it got tangled in weeds at Antero.  For me, I would rather land the whoppers, and always be ready for the whoppers.  What pound line are YOU using?
Fishin' is better with a Malty Beverage!

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What pound test line?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I use 2# and 4# pline flouroclear for trout, bass, perch, and other panfish. 30# flouro leaders on my tipups for pike.

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:15 PM »
4 # floro on jigging poles for sure will increase your catch..

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:22 AM »
I run 6lb mono all the time.  I sometimes get outfished by 4lb but I never get broke off-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:55 AM »
I run 6lb mono all the time.  I sometimes get outfished by 4lb but I never get broke off-

X2 for 6lb - i've been using Flouro

started out @ 4lb and had too many disconnects
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:45 AM »
I have most reels spooled with 6lb trilene transoptic. Don't break off too many with that. If the fish are looking and not taking, I switch to the reels spooled with 4lb vanish. On lake john a long time ago we were seeing fish but no takers. Talked to Bill at the lodge and he recommended the 4 lb vanish and we killed them the rest of the day.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Call me particular, but I found splitting the difference and using 5# test Flouro works for me. Very little difference between 4# and 5# diameters. Maybe it's just all in my head, but like the beer commercial says...it isn't weird if it works! :cookoo:
Good Fishing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:14 AM »
When Im fishing 11-mile, I cant take the chance of losing a double-digit bow or pike on 4 lb.   

Of course, a friend got his 12.5lb bow on 4lb test there.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I use anywhere from 3-6lb Mono and Flouro lines through the ice

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:00 PM »
The old age question.... I go with skifisher on this one.   I go back and forth from 4lb to 6lb, but found some 5lb Trilene Fluor I'm spooling tonight to hit this Mile this weekend.

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I guess it really depends on what your targeting.... If your going for panfish then the 4# will always be great, if your targeting large fish like lakers then you'll want something heavier but I still prefer flouro..

Offline theo9805

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I never go under 6 for anything. My hooksets don't allow for anything less. For trout, I never go above 6.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:38 PM »
6lb Vanish has been good for me.  8 or 10lb  if fishing for Lakers. I know a lot of people that use 4lb @ 11mile & Antero, but I never would.

Offline Ledman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I use 4 lb flouro for trout with a loose drag!  8 for everything else!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:21 PM »
I use 4 lb. 100% fluoro and have been fortunate to land two seven pound trout over many years at 11 Mile. I retie often. Any fish over 16" or three 10' stockers, I'll retie. Any nicks I find in the line I'll retie. I've evolved from spinning reels to bait casters to exclusively using fly reels for icing trout. You don't need a drag and virtually eliminate line twist which is more susceptible with lighter lines.
You can't horse the fish in or lift it out of the hole on the strength of the line. It can take twenty minutes or more to land even a feisty 16" trout. This means you can miss the 15 minute hot streak when the action is at its peak because you are trying to finesse a 3 or 4 lb. fish. You can work lighter lures with lighter line but the lure tends to slowly float down as compared to sinking. Because I've
taken up pike fishing I fish shallow and 4 lb. works great for me. If I fished 20' or deeper with decreased visibility I would use 6 lb.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:35 PM »
A lot of what line I use depends on the speices im after, and the rod im using. I do keep it pretty simple though. Gill only, i use 1-2 lb line and an ultralight rod with a spring bobber. An occasional largemouth is usually landed with no issues as long as my drag is properly used and working properly (I dont target green carp though). Bluegill that are going insane? I have no problem using 4lb line all day and a stiffer rod doesnt seem to affect them at all when on a good bite. Crappie, pretty much the same as the gills. Walleye around "my area"? Im still new to it, but I use 6lb and a 3' rod and a reel with a good drag. Mono vs flouro. Depends on the mood im in and how much I felt like spending on line before I spooled up at the time! Lol, sorry but true. I just make what I got work and go fishing. Flouro is nice in deeper water though.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:25 AM »
It can take twenty minutes or more to land even a feisty 16" trout.

Exactly the reason NOT to go too light. I ain't wasting 20 minutes on a 16" or even 18" trout cause my line is too wimpy. 20" and above is what its all about at the Mile.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:36 AM »
I second Slayers comment.  I have 8# mono on my reels and finish it with about 6 feet of either 3X or 4X fluoro tippet.  My pike set up has 8# mono on the reel with six feet of 20# fluoro tippet.  Hork those slabs out of there.

Offline bgflys

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Experience taught me to use 6# line. I've been very happy with using it.

So try 4 and 6 then let us know what you think.

Good luck!

"B"

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:44 PM »
It can take twenty minutes or more to land even a feisty 16" trout

Also to this, if you are playing a fish for 20mins, and not keeping it, I wonder about it's survival after the release.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Exactly the reason NOT to go too light. I ain't wasting 20 minutes on a 16" or even 18" trout cause my line is too wimpy. 20" and above is what its all about at the Mile.

We have caught alot of big bows at the mile up to 7-8 lbs  through the ice and I don't think any of them took more then a couple mins.   

Offline elkdeerbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:47 PM »
My ultralight poles use 4 lb. mono with a 4 lb. fluoro leader. Mid poles 10 lb. Fireline or 8 or 10 lb. Vanish with 6 lb. or 10 lb. fluoro leader. Heavy poles have 20 lb. Fireline with 10 lb. fluoro leader.

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Well ALL RIGHT!
It seems like I have been using WAY too heavy a gear.  I have been using 10# braid topped with 8# Fluoro leader! and now that really seems like overkill. 
From all these replies, I am gonna lengthen my leader to 6 feet long, and use 5X tippet for a leader, that should be around 6#.  And I guess it's time to lift the fish out of the holes, too instead of muscling 'em out with just the line.  It is time for me to try a bit more finesse in my game!
Thanks!
Malty

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:11 PM »
12lb p line for lakers have caught a 33# and 25# still have to play those pigs out.   Then hook them with a tail rope and give them at least 15 minutes to recover. 
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Had plenty of opportunities to test both 5X tippet and the Berkley XL 4 lb., and the Berkley is great!  I can see it better with its light blue tint, and it seems plenty strong.  Landed about 15 at Antero, with no breakage!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.