Author Topic: Anyone find any ice?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Anyone find any ice?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I've only fished it a few times.  I've done ok for sub 20" lakers and a few just over 20.  It does require a hike in quite a ways to get to 40 FOW or more.  Snow shoes or machines may be necessary with deeper snow.  I use small/medium dark tubes with sucker meat, larger Northland spoons, and my go-to 1/4 or 1/8 oz roadrunner (any chin spin) jig head with Gary Yamamoto curly tail grub in pearl or chartreuse (I think they range from 3 -5"). 

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:48 AM »
I've only fished it a few times.  I've done ok for sub 20" lakers and a few just over 20.  It does require a hike in quite a ways to get to 40 FOW or more.  Snow shoes or machines may be necessary with deeper snow.  I use small/medium dark tubes with sucker meat, larger Northland spoons, and my go-to 1/4 or 1/8 oz roadrunner (any chin spin) jig head with Gary Yamamoto curly tail grub in pearl or chartreuse (I think they range from 3 -5").

Thanks for that info.  I like 20" lakers.  Not fond of a long walk, though.  We may try that instead of adding another hour to the drive to Walden.  And ice should be better there this time of year.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Fished the Mile yesterday 11/30/2013. First ones on the ice as best we could see. Definitely the first on Stoll. Slooooooow day especially being first ice. The flasher where dead almost the whole day. Group stats  below

Fish Count

MRT- 10 biggest 18"
Pike- 1 biggest 9"
Perch- 1 biggest 8"

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for that info.  I like 20" lakers.  Not fond of a long walk, though.  We may try that instead of adding another hour to the drive to Walden.  And ice should be better there this time of year.

Most are sub 20" lakers  Walk is over a mile to the better laker spots.  I just google earthed it and it's around 1.2 miles.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Fished the Mile yesterday 11/30/2013. First ones on the ice as best we could see. Definitely the first on Stoll. Slooooooow day especially being first ice. The flasher where dead almost the whole day. Group stats  below

Fish Count

MRT- 10 biggest 18"
Pike- 1 biggest 9"
Perch- 1 biggest 8"

How much ice was there?  I'm assuming it will build up well this week.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:52 PM »
The ice is building 24/7 right now,, won't  slow down  until late January/Feb.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:54 PM »
How much ice was there? 

If we were on it it was thickefreekinough! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Just read the other sites and it cracks me up. Some dudes are telling people there's only 1" other are warning people not to go east of Suckers Cove and others are claiming it was wide open Thur.   We fished it Friday and went all over the place east and west of Suckers. Also fished all over Stoll.  Early Ice always presents the chance of taking the Plunge.  :woot: think light. If you don't have the gear, know how to read ice and what to avoid, wait a few weeks and you will have 7-10" hard ice.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
The ice is scary thin & dangerous everywhere, the fishing is slow and its horribly cold & windy out there- I would not risk if I were you.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Posted by: ByteN2it
« on: Today at 07:08 PM » Insert Quote
The ice is scary thin & dangerous everywhere, the fishing is slow and its horribly cold & windy out there- I would not risk if I were you.

Nice post byten2it 😜

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:47 PM »
You in the Subaru tom?
Yay4u

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Ran by Dowdy & West today.  No one on West, a few holes drilled close to the parking lot.  Guessing it's not over 4" or there would have been more holes further out.  Didn't drill.  Went by Dowdy.  One group out.  They said it was 2.5 - 3".  Next to shore looked thin.  Should be good next weekend. Saw a couple of guys on Chambers from the road.  I'm guessing that's the inlet area.  I would say the main lake is a week or two away from being able to reach laker depths.  I could be wrong though.  It might be good.  Fishing was slow on the other Cameron Pass lakes.

Right on! Thanks fishslap for the info :) I really want to get my daughter out for her first time ice fishing but want to make sure its safe. And yes I'm sure you were at the inlet on the N end when you saw those gents. Be careful if accessing the lake on that side because I've seen methane gas make swiss cheese out of the ice over there, very strange occurrence indeed. I fished that lake a bunch with a friend that had a snow machine, and we snow shoed in a few times as well and that hike sucks aaaaaassssss! At least to get all the way in to the good mac areas it does. Its not too bad ;) if you just want to fish around the dam. Did you check out lost lake or Laramie lake while you were at chambers? Small ones in them but fun action at least.   

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2013, 11:56 PM »
No.  I've never fished those lakes.  I think DOW mentioned to me that lost lake winter killed last winter.  I fished Barnes Meadow and JW.  Barnes Meadow was up to the overflow.  I couldn't find fish at all.  Only had a couple come by on the flasher.  Caught one and went up the hill.

Offline firefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Fished Ohaver lake over by Salida on Saturday, 4-6 inches of good ice. Still popping and making noise but was very stable. No real fish to brag about but fished a couple hours and could only fish one rod at a time due to bites.   Road is not the best and there are downed trees to work around.  Tight lines Everyone!

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:55 AM »
You in the Subaru tom?

No thats Slayer car, I'm not a subaru wagon type of guy  ;D

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:07 AM »
No thats Slayer car, I'm not a subaru wagon type of guy  ;D

He sure as heck dont mind ridin in it!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:08 PM »
No.  I've never fished those lakes.  I think DOW mentioned to me that lost lake winter killed last winter.  I fished Barnes Meadow and JW.  Barnes Meadow was up to the overflow.  I couldn't find fish at all.  Only had a couple come by on the flasher.  Caught one and went up the hill.

@ fishslap, That's too bad about lost lake  :'( I don't doubt it one bit bc its a pretty shallow lake. I've never fished BM but have fished JW. Did you know there's macs in that lake? very very few but my buddy caught a monster there fly fishing on a belly boat on summer. Not sure if there's any in there now though. If you ever want someone to tag along let me know, I have all my own gear so no worries there. And you can keep whatever I catch bc I don't eat trout. My ice fishing buddy passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer so I don't have many guys to go with now. You ever fish Siemens res?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:30 PM »
You ever fish Siemens res?

Seaman Reservoir. Ive iced it many times. Bridges in Gateway were washed out in the floods, so you gotta wade across main stem of the Poudre to get to Seaman-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:54 PM »
@ fishslap, That's too bad about lost lake  :'( I don't doubt it one bit bc its a pretty shallow lake. I've never fished BM but have fished JW. Did you know there's macs in that lake? very very few but my buddy caught a monster there fly fishing on a belly boat on summer. Not sure if there's any in there now though. If you ever want someone to tag along let me know, I have all my own gear so no worries there. And you can keep whatever I catch bc I don't eat trout. My ice fishing buddy passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer so I don't have many guys to go with now. You ever fish Siemens res?

Yes, caught a 34 incher out of there three years ago through the ice on a 1/10oz gold crushed ice Swedish pimple, 6lb line.  Very rare.  Only 50 females were put in back in 2001 (I think) and there have been a few taken out and I'm sure a few didn't make it.  They were put in to control the stunted grayling population and should be released when caught.  Never fished Siemen.  Planned on it through the ice this year but might not now with the info from Slayer.  I'll be icin' this weekend somewhere Northwest.  I'll send you a message this week.

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Seaman Reservoir. Ive iced it many times. Bridges in Gateway were washed out in the floods, so you gotta wade across main stem of the Poudre to get to Seaman-

Awe son of a biscuit! Stupid floods  :( I had a blast the few times I iced it, caught a really nice brown  :) It is beyond beautiful up there as well so it makes it that much better. That's another lake that gets riddled with methane gas bubbles in the ice. Someone told me by the dam it's like 150 feet deep or something crazy like that. But you know how fishermen are...If it was a 12'' fish they call it an 18'' fish in there story  ;)

Offline DCS2477

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Does anyone know if find any ice or how thick the ice is at Wolford Mtn Res by Kremmling?
Any information greatly appreciated.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Awe son of a biscuit! Stupid floods  :( I had a blast the few times I iced it, caught a really nice brown  :) It is beyond beautiful up there as well so it makes it that much better. That's another lake that gets riddled with methane gas bubbles in the ice. Someone told me by the dam it's like 150 feet deep or something crazy like that. But you know how fishermen are...If it was a 12'' fish they call it an 18'' fish in there story  ;)

80 feet is deepest.  When its time ill just bring the hip boots.   ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:27 PM »
80 feet is deepest.  When its time ill just bring the hip boots.   ;)

Nice!!! I'm in  :) You can always hide them in the sticks once your across the drink, then up the hill you go  ;) SLAYER how far is that hike up to the lake, a mile you reckon? 

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Yes, caught a 34 incher out of there three years ago through the ice on a 1/10oz gold crushed ice Swedish pimple, 6lb line.  Very rare.  Only 50 females were put in back in 2001 (I think) and there have been a few taken out and I'm sure a few didn't make it.  They were put in to control the stunted grayling population and should be released when caught.  Never fished Siemen.  Planned on it through the ice this year but might not now with the info from Slayer.  I'll be icin' this weekend somewhere Northwest.  I'll send you a message this week.

Congrats that is a dandy fish! Very nice catch sir  :) Yeah let me know about this weekend, not sure if I can make it though. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Yeah its a mile. Then another mile to the better spots-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:19 PM »
Well, I guess I can add hip boots to the xmas list....

Offline COGreenie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:06 PM »
That first hill up to Seaman is no joke.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:33 AM »
That first hill up to Seaman is no joke.

Dude, that "hill" is nothing-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.