New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373171 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1620 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Just noticed that DEC did a remake of the Lake Contour Maps Site:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1621 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Pike and perch in the lower, and pike, perch and Lakers in the upper.
Would it be considered "good" fishing?  How would you rate it?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1622 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I have probably personally fished it 20-25 full days and have never caught a pike over 8lb. You can jig up a mess of perch, they always seem to be small though. Truthfully the only reason I go out there is because my best friends father lived right on the lake. We would go out there in high school during winter breaks for a few days and it just turned into a tradition. Kind of like our getaway. I did see a guy catch a 15lb pike right next to me on derby day probably 3 years ago.

All my experience is on the Lower, I've only fished the upper on the boat. But I can tell you the upper is big and vast.

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1623 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:02 AM »
FYI:  Lake Champlain is buttoned up as far north as Crown Point.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #1624 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:07 PM »
If you like to catch dink perch chateaugay is the lake for you.  NNYice summed it up. It's loaded with perch it's impossible to get skunked you can fill a 5 gallon bucket in a couple hours but very little size to them.  sometimes if you get lucky and get in a school with some size to them but for the most part you catch a ton of 6-8" perch.  Decent amount of pike just don't plan on catching many in the double digits.  There are lake trout just not a lot.

Decent bass fishing in the summer though.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #1625 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:28 PM »
If you like to catch dink perch chateaugay is the lake for you.  NNYice summed it up. It's loaded with perch it's impossible to get skunked you can fill a 5 gallon bucket in a couple hours but very little size to them.  sometimes if you get lucky and get in a school with some size to them but for the most part you catch a ton of 6-8" perch.  Decent amount of pike just don't plan on catching many in the double digits.  There are lake trout just not a lot.

Decent bass fishing in the summer though.

Sounds like Chateaugay could use a stocking of walleyes. Walleyes do extremely well in lakes loaded with dink  perch. It's probably their favorite thing to gorge on.  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1626 on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Sounds like Chateaugay could use a stocking of walleyes. Walleyes do extremely well in lakes loaded with dink  perch. It's probably their favorite thing to gorge on.  ;D

You ain't kidding. We have speculated that a lot. I honestly think walleyes would thrive in Chateaugay. Especially in the upper. From what I hear it used to be a great trout lake way back in the day, before pike arrived. Pike apparently weren't native there. Maybe that's true, maybe not. I don't know! But I do think walleyes would do great.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1627 on: Dec 05, 2014, 04:44 PM »
You ain't kidding. We have speculated that a lot. I honestly think walleyes would thrive in Chateaugay. Especially in the upper. From what I hear it used to be a great trout lake way back in the day, before pike arrived. Pike apparently weren't native there. Maybe that's true, maybe not. I don't know! But I do think walleyes would do great.

Do they have any places to spawn - or would it be a put and take deal?  They would have to stock fingerlings for it to be much of a success.  Worthwhile - though.  Get teh local fish advisories board to make a request.  Maybe you could get some those Oneida Strain Eyes up there.  @)

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #1628 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:11 PM »

My dad tells stories from when he was in teens to early 20s about all the trout and salmon they use to catch. They use to stock browns and rainbows in there as well remember catching rainbows once and a while when I was real young.

I agree about them doin well in the upper lake the west side is all rocks and points.

Pike there is two creeks thy feed into the southern part of the lake maybe 8-10' wide not sure if they would work there marsh all around them and beaver dams

OneidaAngler

« Reply #1629 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Does chauteagay see a lot of wind and/or current? Walleye need current going over gravel bottom to spawn. They like to run up creeks and spawn there too. They will spawn near creek mouths and wind swept shoals as well. Does chauteagay have smelt? Cause if it does you can rule out any natural reproduction from walleye. Smelt love to eat walleye fry.   :-\ 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1630 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Does chauteagay see a lot of wind and/or current? Walleye need current going over gravel bottom to spawn. They like to run up creeks and spawn there too. They will spawn near creek mouths and wind swept shoals as well. Does chauteagay have smelt? Cause if it does you can rule out any natural reproduction from walleye. Smelt love to eat walleye fry.   :-\

Both wind and current.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1631 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:25 AM »

I didn't know that, about the smelt. Tupper lake is up to its ears in smelt, and the walleye do great there.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1632 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:30 AM »
In other news, I got my Jiffy Pro 4 Lite today! Filled it up with oil, screwed on an old half full tank of propane I had at the house, 4 pulls and she was off. Runs like a champ. I think this auger is gonna cut some serious ice.. My only complaint is that the throttle has a little bit of slack.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1633 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:33 AM »
nnyice:  do you worry about the propane freezing up?  I've read lots of issues with that.  If you are keeping it in a shanty, then its okay.  I haven't bought a power auger and think the propane ones are the way to go but worry about the reports I have read about them freezing up.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1634 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Congrats on the new auger!
I'm not real familiar with that auger, but is there any adjustment for the throttle at all?

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1635 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:34 AM »
nnyice:  do you worry about the propane freezing up?  I've read lots of issues with that.  If you are keeping it in a shanty, then its okay.  I haven't bought a power auger and think the propane ones are the way to go but worry about the reports I have read about them freezing up.

ill have a propane bottle in the shack staying warm. I'm not worried about it freezing. I've read a few stories but I've read way more positive reviews. Plenty of guys way up north using these in the extreme cold without issue.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1636 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Congrats on the new auger!
I'm not real familiar with that auger, but is there any adjustment for the throttle at all?

I'm gonna look into it, today.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1637 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:01 AM »
my buddy bought one last year and it is sweet .................we used all year on Oneida with 0 problems !!
ice fishing rules

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1638 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:11 AM »
In unrelated news, there will be a new place to get bait in the north country, this winter. Whites General Store (used to be Bruce Ames General Store), located right downtown across from the post office on Rt 56, will have bait.

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1639 on: Dec 06, 2014, 06:33 PM »
There are only two true natives to the Adirondacks, whitefish and brook trout. This is proven due to the fact they are the only two species that survived the last ice age. There has been some skepticism over perch. They recently found traces of perch in lake sediment that carbon dates back to before the ice age. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1640 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:12 PM »
There are only two true natives to the Adirondacks, whitefish and brook trout. This is proven due to the fact they are the only two species that survived the last ice age. There has been some skepticism over perch. They recently found traces of perch in lake sediment that carbon dates back to before the ice age.

You fishing yet in Saranac?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1641 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Got cold last night!!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1642 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:18 PM »
 :o :o ;D

I like it!

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1643 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Got cold last night!!

Colder tonight!  @)  I'm drilling holes and fishing tomorrow.  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1644 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:28 PM »

You lucky dog. Be safe!

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1645 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Good luck Phil  @)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1646 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:06 PM »
I'm fishing tomorrow, too! And Tuesday.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1647 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:15 PM »

Friendly wager on the first northern? ;)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1648 on: Dec 07, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Friendly wager on the first northern? ;)
Ahh!  That would be an accident on my part.  Jigging in 7' of water for Crappies.  ;D  Would not be unheard of though.   Have not put a tipup in the water in over 4 years.  Someone, on here, showed me the "light"; and introduced me to a new way.  :P

Offline jshave73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1649 on: Dec 07, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Looking forward  to getting back up north to fish this season.  I grew up in the burg but moved to cny.  Oneida is great but still hooked on black lake and the st. Lawrence.  Good luck and stay safe!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.