New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373049 times)

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1530 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Well, quite a few new faces and out of towners flocking out to our NNY  limited tributary river waters which means one thing and one thing only. Loose lips sink ships!
However, it's a good thing most people have no clue what to do out there except take up valuable space. Especially with those things with those orange and red flags pointed east and west....and never north. Oh yeah, and thank you to the worthless slob that left red 50lb line half spooled half acting as a trip wire across a steep path that wrapped around me and my gear this morning. I was really upset, but then looked at the red rope and laughed knowing that there would never be fish on the other end.
Locals. Please stop talking. Do you really want a Coles Creek Pt.2???
People from Buffalo, Rochester and VT. Study your maps. Get a clue. Stop being lazy and I promise you will find fish. You have Chautauqua, Erie, Ontario, Silver, Oneida and Champlain... Seriously?

So your telling me you fish the same water day after day, year after year. You never travel around and explore other waters

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1531 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:45 PM »
"Well, quite a few new faces and out of towners flocking out to our NNY  limited tributary river waters" . When you say "our nny waters" who is "our". If it's a public body of water with public access  "our" means everyone who buys a nys fishing license. You have no right to complain about out of towners in your fishing area or about someone who post info about there experience fishing that body of water. That is what this website is all about. Go buy a private lake and then "our" can be you and whoever u choose. Also you may not like these "out of towners" but the fact is that they bring much needed money into these towns that would not be there otherwise. I live in parish ny 15 minutes from the salmon river and i can relate to being frustrated when you pull up to your favorite spot and seeing the parking lot full of out of state plates.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #1532 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:46 PM »
Got on a big school of perch this afternoon and just plucked away at them for 2 hours.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #1533 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:52 PM »
So your telling me you fish the same water day after day, year after year. You never travel around and explore other waters

Here you go trying to bait me. Ok. Travel? Yeah, I'm very well traveled. you could say that. Exploring other fisheries is how you improve. Setting a mine field of tip ups based off of hearsay in a completely foreign environment is nothing more than ignorance and a complete waste of space and time. But what I don't do is hear a rumor and sprint leaving sportsmanship and tact where I call home. I'm on the water. I hear the conversations going on 2 feet from my hut. Yeah TWO FT from my hut. "My cousin said, my buddy said a guy I met at WalMart said" "how are you catching them" "how do you use that" "do you mind..........."

Honestly, I'm about done with it.

Hey I have several secluded honey holes up here, but I do still enjoy the classic spots. I'm from the big cities. I know how things could turn ugly in a hurry. I'm sorry if my honest opinion that inconsiderate "sportsmen" are multiplying by the year up here that are not from up here! When I go to Simcoe, for some reason I don't follow and/or crowd the locals. Or a nice classic passive aggressive approach. Surround you with tip ups!

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1534 on: Dec 29, 2013, 06:56 PM »
Got on a big school of perch this afternoon and just plucked away at them for 2 hours.

Nice!!!

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1535 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:11 PM »
All I can say is, thank you to the wonderful "sportsman" that I have met over the past few years. I live in CNY and have been making trips up to the north country for the past few years. It is true that there has been an influx of "out of towners", but to lump us all together as unsportsmanlike, tactless idiots is not exactly fair.  I have been ice fishing my entire life, and the only reason I've been making the 2+ hour drive is to find safe ice to do what I love. Never have I disrespected any of the locals, left any trash on the ice behind me, crowded in on some else's set, or asked anyone what they are using to catch fish. While I'm not arguing that there are disrespectful people out there, they are not always out of towners. I believe a true sportsman would want to meet new people and pass on the very thing he enjoys so much. So, as I have already stated, thank you to those of you who have helped me out in the past and anyone who wants any good info just ask
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #1536 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:19 PM »
"Well, quite a few new faces and out of towners flocking out to our NNY  limited tributary river waters" . When you say "our nny waters" who is "our". If it's a public body of water with public access  "our" means everyone who buys a nys fishing license. You have no right to complain about out of towners in your fishing area or about someone who post info about there experience fishing that body of water. That is what this website is all about. Go buy a private lake and then "our" can be you and whoever u choose. Also you may not like these "out of towners" but the fact is that they bring much needed money into these towns that would not be there otherwise. I live in parish ny 15 minutes from the salmon river and i can relate to being frustrated when you pull up to your favorite spot and seeing the parking lot full of out of state plates.

Much needed money. The $5 I seen a couple spend on bait that just came in from VT for the day? How is money being brought here during the ice season? If any of this area is holding onto dear life on the monetary contributions of an ice angler then they've got serious problems. Which they actually do but that's for several other reasons.

Yes, OUR. I'm pretty sure my school, town and village taxes trump a $20 fishing license. I WILL call you out and trust me in the decades I've been doing this no one has ever pulled out a fishing license to ward me off.

I have a drivers license. Does that mean I'm allowed to speed and blow through stop signs?

That's the problem these days. No pride. Just want everything the easy way. Like our new breed of fisherman I'm gradually seeing by the year. That's fine though if the population expands. I'm all for it as long as consideration is taken into account. Which lately it hasn't.

That's funny you say experience. All I heard this weekend was 3rd party experiences though. Like I didn't think I'd get roasted on here for saying what everyone out there wants to say.

I've noticed one big thing this season. People chasing flags in stealth mode. Quiet. Petrified anyone would see. Wonder why.

Share your experience by all means. As far as where, when and how........ Name, rank and last 4 of your SSN!

Offline travis9791

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1537 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Much needed money. The $5 I seen a couple spend on bait that just came in from VT for the day? How is money being brought here during the ice season? If any of this area is holding onto dear life on the monetary contributions of an ice angler then they've got serious problems. Which they actually do but that's for several other reasons.

Yes, OUR. I'm pretty sure my school, town and village taxes trump a $20 fishing license. I WILL call you out and trust me in the decades I've been doing this no one has ever pulled out a fishing license to ward me off.

I have a drivers license. Does that mean I'm allowed to speed and blow through stop signs?

That's the problem these days. No pride. Just want everything the easy way. Like our new breed of fisherman I'm gradually seeing by the year. That's fine though if the population expands. I'm all for it as long as consideration is taken into account. Which lately it hasn't.

That's funny you say experience. All I heard this weekend was 3rd party experiences though. Like I didn't think I'd get roasted on here for saying what everyone out there wants to say.

I've noticed one big thing this season. People chasing flags in stealth mode. Quiet. Petrified anyone would see. Wonder why.

Share your experience by all means. As far as where, when and how........ Name, rank and last 4 of your SSN!
joey its much more than just the 5 bucks spent on bait its the 100 spent on gas, the 50 spent on food, the 100 spent on a hotel room etc. by each fisherman going there. If you don't beleive me ask the buisness's in pulaski what fishing brings to a small economy.

second here is a post from you
 "In reference to Brandy Brook; Has ANYONE had a decent day with perch there this ice season? Anything under 9'' does not count. Last year was my first year fishing BB and I really was into the jumbos from 1st ice - mid January. The only thing going on there are cigar sized stocker walleye in the half dozen times I've been there thus far. I've only lived in North Country now for a little over a year and maybe last year was a fluke perch wise there but I just can't believe how awful the perch fishing has been there thus far. Either way, I start back for the eyes Monday. Was just wondering if I was the only one striking out there. As for Coles, plenty of micro perch in the 3 hours I put up with that place for.

You have only lived there a year so you are a new face to the people who have lived there all there life. And you have payed one year of taxes so i don't know where your coming from. And in this post you are talking about where you fished and all of the jumbos you caught what happened to " loose lips sink ships"

third no your license doesn't entitle you to speed on my road but you can drive on it as long as you obey the law.

And as far as the fishing line and garbage that gets left and the people who setup right next to you that makes me just as mad as it makes you. But i will tell you from experience that is a problem everywhere and its not always the out of towners.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #1538 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:28 PM »
this is entertaining....

one of the questions that pops into my mind is, whats wrong with tip up fishing? especially if you are taking kids... The thrill of running for a flag as a child is what keeps kids entertained and hooks them into the sport which provides us with our future of fishing...

and people that travel up where I grew up, to fish spend lots more than just a few bucks on bait as stated by someone else. Tons of money comes into small towns for hunting and fishing, and tons of money comes into the state via taxes non-res license, etc.

I understand your frustrations and wanting to vent, but come on.

Garbage on the ground is one thing, but you are calling us as sportsman names, and intern giving us all a bad name to those who are new to outdoor sports and those who already have negative views about it.

Thought this site might have started losing its drama...maybe ill take another long hiatus from it and its trolls 
Tight Lines and Flags!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1539 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:54 AM »
Well, I have been here most all my life (63 years) and in the last 3-5 years I've done about all I can to get folks to travel to the north country for some pretty good early season ice fishing action.  I'll give them any knowledge I have (no secret spots) but point them in the right direction for some success.
Two years ago ice was hard to come by if you ventured away from the north country, it started a lot of folks traveling at that point.
We had an excellent, early season opportunity for ice-fishing this year.
The money they spend here is not petty, by any means, ask some of the local bait shops.  I've been in the stores and watched the guys from out of town plunk down 100s of dollars on equipment.  Not everyone, but some do.  (Not really any different than the "locals").  Like was mentioned, food and lodging are also part of it, for some folks.
AND, in return, when I want to go fishing walleye (or some other species) in a premier location, down-state, I get some pretty good info.

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #1540 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:03 AM »
Well, I have been here most all my life (63 years) and in the last 3-5 years I've done about all I can to get folks to travel to the north country for some pretty good early season ice fishing action.  I'll give them any knowledge I have (no secret spots) but point them in the right direction for some success.
Two years ago ice was hard to come by if you ventured away from the north country, it started a lot of folks traveling at that point.
We had an excellent, early season opportunity for ice-fishing this year.
The money they spend here is not petty, by any means, ask some of the local bait shops.  I've been in the stores and watched the guys from out of town plunk down 100s of dollars on equipment.  Not everyone, but some do.  (Not really any different than the "locals").  Like was mentioned, food and lodging are also part of it, for some folks.
AND, in return, when I want to go fishing walleye (or some other species) in a premier location, down-state, I get some pretty good info.
Ask the guy at Chapmans how he felt when I dropped $180 my 1st time up  ;) ;) ;) I for one Thank you Phil and I know I'm not alone ;)

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1541 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:45 AM »
 ;D  And when does the book go to print on all of this ?  And where can someone get a copy ?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1542 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:50 AM »
;D  And when does the book go to print on all of this ?  And where can someone get a copy ?
Anytime you want info, just ask. ;)  I'm not prejudice  @)

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #1543 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:08 AM »
joey its much more than just the 5 bucks spent on bait its the 100 spent on gas, the 50 spent on food, the 100 spent on a hotel room etc. by each fisherman going there. If you don't beleive me ask the buisness's in pulaski what fishing brings to a small economy.

second here is a post from you
 "In reference to Brandy Brook; Has ANYONE had a decent day with perch there this ice season? Anything under 9'' does not count. Last year was my first year fishing BB and I really was into the jumbos from 1st ice - mid January. The only thing going on there are cigar sized stocker walleye in the half dozen times I've been there thus far. I've only lived in North Country now for a little over a year and maybe last year was a fluke perch wise there but I just can't believe how awful the perch fishing has been there thus far. Either way, I start back for the eyes Monday. Was just wondering if I was the only one striking out there. As for Coles, plenty of micro perch in the 3 hours I put up with that place for.

You have only lived there a year so you are a new face to the people who have lived there all there life. And you have payed one year of taxes so i don't know where your coming from. And in this post you are talking about where you fished and all of the jumbos you caught what happened to " loose lips sink ships"

third no your license doesn't entitle you to speed on my road but you can drive on it as long as you obey the law.

And as far as the fishing line and garbage that gets left and the people who setup right next to you that makes me just as mad as it makes you. But i will tell you from experience that is a problem everywhere and its not always the out of towners.

Great job, I've already stated in a previous post that I'm not from up here. I know a couple of very good fisherman up here that have 100's of more spots than I do. I know of a few that they go to and what they use and I practice this simple thing called RESPECT. I'd rather catch nothing than ruin someone else's outing. As for trading spots; Sure absolutely, which is a segway to my PM’ing point.

Gee, wonder what I found on a trail this morning. 2 cans of propane and 2 soda bottles that weren't there yesterday. I'm sure you being the devil’s advocate will say "what…? people accidentally drop things". Well it's amazing that I never find a Vexilar or a tackle box laying on one of these trails.

As for asking about what's going on fishing wise on BB. Fishing was off / is off because of the stocking program. If anyone has a decent spot after 10 years of being on this forum, they usually PM me; which he did.

Keep wasting your time going through the archives. In 10 years I’ve had 80 things to say. I’m sorry if I called someone inconsiderate or a slob. You seemed to take this very personal…? I can’t believe it took someone who IS NOT FROM HERE and will most likely relocate to say something?

Pulaski is CNY. Your figures are CNY figures. I have fished near Pulaski quite a bit and know for the most part how much fishing patronage there is. That is a miscalculated analogy. Pulaski is a well known fishing destination in the NE USA. I’ve done tournaments in MN where plenty of people knew about Pulaski. You can’t compare up here to Pulaski, bad comparison. The last two years there really has not been an ice season in CNY. What I’ve seen is a group from CNY drive north for the day. See a couple fishermen and surround them.

I NEVER said outsiders keep out! Please, come patronize our most important business up here. BAIT SHOPS! ALL I SAID IS please fish with due regard! Boy I forgot how people could twist words around. A post about tactless behavior turns into a budget review and which hunt. Geeze.

I’ve been up here for one year? Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Your quote “third no your license doesn't entitle you to speed on my road but you can drive on it as long as you obey the law.”--- That’s all I was saying!

As for you “out of towners” I admit it was a compartmentalization of a statement. Call it a rough weekend, 5 bad apples spoil the bunch or it is what it is. Trust me locals are guilty too! I didn’t dust for fingerprints. The new trash this morning could have easily been from someone local.

I have nothing against tip ups. Very useful way of finding fish, but not for recreating the Oklahoma Land Run of 1889!

Please, PM me with any further constructive and apparent non constructive criticism. I know I’m not always right and really just wanted to bring some awareness to the inconsideration and thoughtlessness that we all see and weather. It seems to be a growing enigma. It’s the few that will ruin these publicly accessible spots unfortunately.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1544 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:48 PM »
I'm going to lock this thread up for the sake of preserving one of the better threads on the NY board.
Come back tomorrow ladies and gents.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline croteauny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1545 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Great board. Still finding may around

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1546 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Black Lake is a bit difficult on the shoreline these days.  Water rising from the rain and warm spell; then thin ice at the shore is making things difficult. 
Foot access at Rollaway is difficult but doable.  Chapmans has some access there for walkers and wheelers. Black Lake Marine has the same.  Ice is 18" +.  Cold coming this week should put Wheathouse back in business.  The other river bays are good.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1547 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:21 AM »
How's the trout fishing on Star Lake? I might give it a try next weekend.
Pete

Offline logman71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1548 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Any info on the lakes in Old Forge like 4th lake?? Or how about Lake Ozonia in St Regis Falls??

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1549 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I fish fourth. access in inlet by the boat launch, daikers, or the picnic area off south shore road. lots of smelt, decent laker fishing.
Pete

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1550 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Check Fourth Lake thread under reports/conditions
Pete

Offline slippy1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1551 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Anyone fishing chateaugay tomorrow?

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1552 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Please let me know if this is the wrong thread for this, but I would love some information on good ice fishing spots in northern new york that rent cabins.  My usual go to spot on Muskellunge Lake is without power and likely to be inaccessible so looking for a new spot to try this year.  Found a cabin on black lake but not sure how the fishing is.  Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Offline poor man fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1553 on: Feb 08, 2014, 06:59 PM »
http://www.riverviewofwaddingtonmotel.com/ this place has cabins in Waddington NY

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1554 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Northern pike challenge is in waddington feb22...... Nice tourney with 1000$ hr payout and tons of door prizes....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1555 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Eyehi can you or anybody else tell me where I can get more info on the northern pike challenge
FISH ON!🎣

Offline GenesCamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1556 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Northern pike challenge is in waddington feb22...... Nice tourney with 1000$ hr payout and tons of door prizes....

Thanks for the info!  Is this relatively close to Alexandria Bay?  Has the fishing been good here?

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1557 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:02 PM »

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1558 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Is this relatively close to Alexandria Bay?  Has the fishing been good here?

About an hour away from a bay......the fishing has been hit and miss lately......big fish for the hourly give away usually average between 8-12 lbs largest one was 17 lbs....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1559 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:10 AM »
I am pulling this thread back up for the season, its getting to be about that time. I've got a few deer killed and I'm starting to shift gears.

Long time no talk for me and a lot of you guys, is ICE DOG 69 still around?? FISHFORPIKE? nypike??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.