New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373063 times)

Offline bosshawg

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1140 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:32 PM »
spent the day on ~4in. of ice in franklin county... 6 small pike all around 20-24 in., feels great to be out again!!!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #1141 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Really hoping this rain wind and warm weather isnt going to kill what little ice we have really hoping i can get on the ice when im home the end of next week

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #1142 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:46 PM »
spent the day on ~4in. of ice in franklin county... 6 small pike all around 20-24 in., feels great to be out again!!!
Part of me is sceptical but ill give you the benefit of the doubt and congratulate you. Jealous does no justice  :bow:

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1143 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Hoping we dont get rain tomorrow or we will lose the base we have  :(
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1144 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:23 PM »
my brother fished today on 3'' in St. Lawrence County.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1145 on: Dec 16, 2012, 09:25 PM »
black lake?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1146 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:08 PM »
wow. glad to hear someone found some ice. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1147 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Nope not black lake. He is back fishing this morning although I fear the ice will not last through the day.

Offline rob1114

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1148 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:16 AM »
With these temps any of you North Country guys every jump across the border in search of ice? Is it worth the hassle with a license? How far north of the border do you have to go with these conditions? Never fished up there but I'm tempted
Well let me tell you something now, Johnny. Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday... Bacon! A whole damn plate of it.....

No there ain't no moral. I just like the story

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1149 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Really hoping this rain wind and warm weather isnt going to kill what little ice we have really hoping i can get on the ice when im home the end of next week

Sorry bud looks like you have to wait till February.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1150 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:47 PM »
didn't mean to come off as a dink. I guess some people dont mind fishing on 2-3 inches of ice, just not me. Have you had the camp on tooley pond rd a long time? My grandparents built the Windfall House

Camp has been there for 60 some years? Its a camp my family built, used to be a horse barn thats over 100 years old. Tooley Pond road is where I have seen my biggest buck ever, Deff over 140, mass was out of this world. Not even close to our hunting club though. Deer hunting on our club is sad....very very sad. No where near the deer there used to be.

Do you have access to Cranberry without the use of a snow machine? Id like to fish it but it is a hassle not knowing anybody with a camp on the lake for walk on access and I have to borrow a snow machine as there is usually too much snow to use a four wheeler

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1151 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:54 PM »
its coming soon the ice is coming soon..  hopefully sooner than later.  there is def a road trip in my future for some fishing def have to fish more than one lake this year..  but I would rather there be more than 3 inches I feel comfortable with 4 or 5
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1152 on: Dec 17, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Sorry bud looks like you have to wait till February.

If there isn't I will be making road trips till we get ice down here. Lake by me just started to skim over this weekend but I'm guessing its already gone after yesterday

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1153 on: Dec 17, 2012, 04:39 PM »

Do you have access to Cranberry without the use of a snow machine? Id like to fish it but it is a hassle not knowing anybody with a camp on the lake for walk on access and I have to borrow a snow machine as there is usually too much snow to use a four wheeler

You can access the lake from the Cranberry Lake Lodge and walk out. I see people fish out in front of the lodge before, sometimes around matilda bay (rocky shole). Last yr I used a wheeler 99% of the season so I wouldn't count that mode of transportation out. Usually the lake is packed down from snowmobile traffic and you can use a wheeler even in the deep snow (probably wont get deep snow this yr). Good luck!

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1154 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I heard the owner of the lodge gets upset with those that park there and walk out to fish. Takes away parking for the lodge customers. In fact I've seen people being asked to park elsewhere. Just saying. It is such a small town with very little parking. Alot of people fourwheeler out from wanakena. Alot of sled traffic usually keeps the trails groomed well enough for wheelers.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1155 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:59 PM »
So unload you gear at the lodge and go park behind the library where there is abundant parking.

Offline c07pernice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1156 on: Dec 18, 2012, 01:20 PM »
You can access the lake from the Cranberry Lake Lodge and walk out. I see people fish out in front of the lodge before, sometimes around matilda bay (rocky shole). Last yr I used a wheeler 99% of the season so I wouldn't count that mode of transportation out. Usually the lake is packed down from snowmobile traffic and you can use a wheeler even in the deep snow (probably wont get deep snow this yr). Good luck!

Hows the fishing near the lodge? How far is the walk to a good spot?

Anyone use a flasher there to target pike or would that be slow trying to find them with a flasher?

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1157 on: Dec 18, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Sorry about not mentioning parking. Public parking is behind the Post Office/Library/Community Center right next door to the Stone Manor Diner. There is a large parking lot for trucks/trailers. Also alot of people enter the ice in Wanakena right next to the Pinecone Restaraunt.

I have never fished near the lodge so cannot tell you how it is, but have seen people fish matilda island which is probably 300yrds from the lodge.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1158 on: Dec 18, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Chipmunk bay was pretty good which is straight out from the lodge. If you park  in Wanakena near the Pine Cone be sure to get off the road the best you can. After being at the Ranger School for a year I have never seen locals so angry at sportsman for parking too far on the road...I guess they want you to jump the snow bank hahahah

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1159 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:13 PM »
the walk to find a good spot isn't far..  but I always take my wheeler with me!!
TEAMHACKSHACK

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1160 on: Dec 19, 2012, 05:37 AM »
Special report. . . Ice making weather still in the forecast before Christmas and up to New Years!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1161 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:49 AM »
Special report. . . Ice making weather still in the forecast before Christmas and up to New Years!
Exactly - not long now  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1162 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Getting snowed on pretty good in colton

Offline sergeantworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1163 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:39 AM »
I can hardly contain my exitement, the anticipation is killing me.......I think by the day after christmas it will be hardwater time!

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1164 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Single digits for the next couple of nights in colton, gunna try and get out this weekend!  ;D

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1165 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 AM »
I'm really hoping by Sunday the small stuff is locked up solid again

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1166 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 AM »
I'm really hoping by Sunday the small stuff is locked up solid again

If I get everything squared away ill be up to show you how its done.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1167 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:49 AM »
If I get everything squared away ill be up to show you how its done.

I want a handicap

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1168 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I want a handicap

After last time i could prob give you a 15 fish start.  RB said i cant interfere with your grudge match though.

Offline FellThru82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1169 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:52 AM »
so any ice out there yet??
TEAMHACKSHACK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.