New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373363 times)

Offline mcangus

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #930 on: Feb 27, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Went to loti today walked all over drilled 100 holes nothing but small perch and a few keeper bluegill hope it gets better there aren't very many places left to fish

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #931 on: Feb 27, 2012, 02:58 PM »
The big ones have def. moved... very slow for me on Friday.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #932 on: Mar 02, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Fellow fisherman, be careful tomorrow with the winds... here is the release from the National Weather Service....

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ007&warncounty=NYC045&firewxzone=NYZ007&local_place1=Watertown+NY&product1=High+Wind+Warning

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #933 on: Mar 02, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Eel Bay going to hold up during the wind tomorrow? SSW at 30MPH+ Might go up there, but if it's gonna break apart I want no part...

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #934 on: Mar 02, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Good question... it might be protected, but it opens up to the west... If your headed to Wellesley, Lake of the Isles should be better protected as it faces the opposite direction...

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #935 on: Mar 02, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Good question... it might be protected, but it opens up to the west... If your headed to Wellesley, Lake of the Isles should be better protected as it faces the opposite direction...
Any idea on how the ice is on the isles? Went there a month ago and sorted through a ton of dinks.....

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #936 on: Mar 02, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Was there last Fri and had 10-12" pretty much everywhere... and some spots a little more. I have been doing very well there for perch all winter, but last weekend, they moved away from my usual GPS waypointed spot....  had to move, and move, and move some more, but I found 'em!

Word to the wise, on of my wheeler tires broke through as I was driving slow.  Couldn't see it as it was snowing, but it was a very small pressure crack on my way out to the island on the left.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #937 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Well, I believe my ice season ended yesterday.  :(  But I got on the open water today and will until the end on Thursday.
18-1/2" eye to start the day ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #938 on: Mar 12, 2012, 04:59 PM »

nice fish ,good eater keep the pics coming

Offline pickles1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #939 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Good start to the day nice fish!

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #940 on: Mar 13, 2012, 04:08 AM »
Nice! Started working on my boat a little yesterday. (Boards on transom) Hopefully get on the water earlier than last year.  Neighbor has a private launch I didn't use last year. Until it goes in for the summer I'll be using that.
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #941 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:52 AM »
My Stratos comes out tomorrow, goes to Schermerhorns for the e-tecs 3 year service then to open water, wherever that may be, even if I have to travel to Onandaga Lake...LOL

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #942 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:33 AM »
The walleye bite is on Craig you know where I'm talking about!!! Gotta have the boat though. Friend of mine got a 13.8 pounder two days ago and a 12 pounder yesterday.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #943 on: Mar 14, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Haha, I was on ice watching them.

I was drilling them on the ice as they were drilling them in the boat if it's the same spot.

I was a ways away but could still tell what was going on.  Funny how much loud talking guys do when they have a wopper walleye coming to the boat!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #944 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Haha, I was on ice watching them.

I was drilling them on the ice as they were drilling them in the boat if it's the same spot.

I was a ways away but could still tell what was going on.  Funny how much loud talking guys do when they have a wopper walleye coming to the boat!

Your always drilling the walleyes man!! My season is all wrapped up I won't be doing any late ice perch'in. I'm ready for musky season. Big time.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #945 on: Mar 15, 2012, 05:04 AM »
last day on the ice today, tigers and walleye, hopefully some pics tonight...
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #946 on: Mar 15, 2012, 03:20 PM »
does anyone have current(ish) ice reports for saranac lake/paul smiths area?  Won't be back up until Sunday, wondering if I should bother hauling the gear back up or not.  I know it's been warm and looks like it will stay warm, just not sure if the season is 100% gone or not. 

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #947 on: Mar 15, 2012, 04:13 PM »
does anyone have current(ish) ice reports for saranac lake/paul smiths area?  Won't be back up until Sunday, wondering if I should bother hauling the gear back up or not.  I know it's been warm and looks like it will stay warm, just not sure if the season is 100% gone or not.

was on lake clear and Rollins on monday, tons of ice still
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #948 on: Mar 15, 2012, 04:23 PM »
how did you do on clear? havent been there in a few years. used to get some decent salmon.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #949 on: Mar 15, 2012, 05:33 PM »
was on lake clear and Rollins on monday, tons of ice still
I wouldnt say tons, I fished horseshoe today. yesterday when I checked it it had 14 inches, when I left today at 5;30pm it had >10 and fading fast, when we walked off your feet were grinding through 3-4 inches of honeycombed meal. huge drian holes every where. rain tonight and most of tomorrow, and temps in the 70's and sunny for sat and sun.  My opinion is the "fat lady" has sung.... I wouldnt tell anyone anywhere is good now, even if it might be. just my $.02
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #950 on: Mar 15, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I wouldnt say tons, I fished horseshoe today. yesterday when I checked it it had 14 inches, when I left today at 5;30pm it had >10 and fading fast, when we walked off your feet were grinding through 3-4 inches of honeycombed meal. huge drian holes every where. rain tonight and most of tomorrow, and temps in the 70's and sunny for sat and sun.  My opinion is the "fat lady" has sung.... I wouldnt tell anyone anywhere is good now, even if it might be. just my $.02

sorry, monday the spots I went did have a good amount of ice...dont know now of course...as always be careful

how did you do on clear? havent been there in a few years. used to get some decent salmon.

wasnt there for long, only jigged a little...only a couple small bites here and there, didnt stay long, big skunk-o
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #951 on: Mar 15, 2012, 07:03 PM »
yea ive been skunked there more times than not! hows the ice looking up that way?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #952 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:48 AM »
yea ive been skunked there more times than not! hows the ice looking up that way?
shot!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #953 on: Mar 16, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Hiking to a spot tomorrow afternoon to check conditions for Sunday will report back
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #954 on: Mar 18, 2012, 03:15 PM »
went out today, 10-14" of ice where I was. caught 2 browns (nothing special) and a perch on the tipups, nothing jigging...was out maybe 4 hours, slow day, but it sure was nice out! as of Friday the 16th there was 12" of ice on upper saranac, apparently the smelt bite was hot the day before... ice wont last through this hot week...breaking out the long rods
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #955 on: Mar 18, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Way to go JC....... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #956 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:30 PM »
went out perching yesterday for a few hours. was on 8" of solid ice, little tricky by the shorelines.  hammered some slobs. ice won't last the week up here by smittys

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #957 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:36 PM »
went out perching yesterday for a few hours. was on 8" of solid ice, little tricky by the shorelines.  hammered some slobs. ice won't last the week up here by smittys

got that right
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #958 on: Mar 22, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Walked out to a few spots on Tuesday, the ice is going quick.  Buddy went out yesterday and said it was dicey even with a plank, lots of rotten spots.  I wish we has a few more weeks, but I put the gear away for the season.  No more safe ice in the area.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #959 on: Mar 22, 2012, 11:20 AM »
bust out the long rods!  ;D
Tight Lines and Flags!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.