New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373063 times)

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #840 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:47 PM »
Yea i get ya nnyice. Me tho aint much of a wall hanger my self. If it a fish of my flavor its getting kept and eatin. When in season of corse
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #841 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:08 AM »
Yea i get ya nnyice. Me tho aint much of a wall hanger my self. If it a fish of my flavor its getting kept and eatin. When in season of corse

I hear ya.... "Gotta hook 'em to cook 'em!!" a hilarious old man yelled out his door as my buddy terry was pulling one in.. Haha

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #842 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:20 AM »
What he is getting at, is that a 18+ pound fish (or however big you guys feel) is a trophy fish and isn't normally thought of as an eater. It's a wall banger, or let er get 20 pounds. That is just my opinion, also.

YUP!  Exactly the way I feel.  We let a 10 lb walleye go back down the hole the other day.  Only bummer is the next guy that catches here probably won't do the same.  Hopefully she lays here eggs first.  I think NY should have a slot limit on "TROPHY" fish.  With the way replicas look today (I know I have em on my wall) there aint no reason to keep a "trophy", now I aint saying it's wrong because I think everyone has a right to do what they feel is right as long as it is legal, I am just thinking of the preservation of the sport and to try to keep a ongoing growing fishery that can sustain high volumes of fishing pressure for years and years to come @)

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #843 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:39 AM »
 YUP!  Exactly the way I feel.  We let a 10 lb walleye go back down the hole the other day.  Only bummer is the next guy that catches here probably won't do the same.  Hopefully she lays here eggs first.  I think NY should have a slot limit on "TROPHY" fish.  With the way replicas look today (I know I have em on my wall) there aint no reason to keep a "trophy", now I aint saying it's wrong because I think everyone has a right to do what they feel is right as long as it is legal, I am just thinking of the preservation of the sport and to try to keep a ongoing growing fishery that can sustain high volumes of fishing pressure for years and years to come @)

X2
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #844 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:20 AM »

Im with ya completely. But for me until they do it just more meat. I dont waste what i get and neither do the people i fish with. If its in season and i dont want it i ask the friends and if then no. Back down the hole.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #845 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:03 AM »

X3 - I think Canada has an good idea on Walleye limits.  Wish we would be the same.  And I agree with the replica thing - skin mounts are becoming a thing of the past.  Take some good pics and document your fish.  You would not be able to tell the difference in the resulting mount.  Only thing is what is in your mind.
I will not keep big fish, generally not good tasting; and I will not offer my catch to anyone.

That's just my opinion.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #846 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:30 AM »
I bet 99% of guys who want to mount a fish don't even realize that the mount they get  back is just painted anyway.  it may be the skin but fish lose all color and the tax needs to paint the color back into them so why not just do a replica it will not only last longer but it preserves a trophy fiosh for spawning and future catches
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #847 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 PM »
i agree, but ther is the aspect of finally catching that "trophy" and getting him up on the wall vs. letting it go so someone else doesnt get him when he is bigger. i know that came out wrong but the best word it. that was my mentality for years growing up. i have one mounted and now wish i got a replica, but just seems like they are much much much more expensive. but then again, i guess nowadays like anything you have to PAY TO DO THE RIGHT THING

Offline iceflag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #848 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:42 PM »
I had a Smallmouth (5 lb. 10 oz.) replica done a few years ago and it turned out great. May have been a dollar or two more per inch but that doesn't amount to too much more with a bass anyways. I have a buddy of mine who can't seem to get his head around the fact that it is not the "real fish" but I am extremely happy that I did it and the fish can still be swimming around and at a bigger size. Of course I caught one a little bigger a few months later from the same lake but they were both trophies in my book and they both were released.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #849 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:50 PM »
yea i agree. the pike i had mounted was one of the fattest i have seen, but not that long. a week later i caught a bigger one also.

let me ask everyone this........what is the minimal size of a fish, "trophy", that you guys would decide to have mounted? keep in mind where we live. i would have to say 7-8lb largie (closer to 8), 6-7lb smallie (closer to 7), aand t least 40in pike/tiger or over 22lb's. those are really the only fish i go for besides perch and crappies, but prolly wouldn't care to mount em.

Offline greenkeez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #850 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:55 PM »
I've never had any fish mounted and usually catch and release unless it looks really tasty. But I once talked with a taxidermist and he was telling me the benefits of using the replica material. He was in the process of fixing up a duck that was 20 years old and you could tell time had taken its toll on it. He had to replace its feet with new plastic ones molded to look just like it. Either way the both of them will going to remind you of the great moment you had with that fish.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #851 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:03 PM »
yea i agree. the pike i had mounted was one of the fattest i have seen, but not that long. a week later i caught a bigger one also.

let me ask everyone this........what is the minimal size of a fish, "trophy", that you guys would decide to have mounted? keep in mind where we live. i would have to say 7-8lb largie (closer to 8), 6-7lb smallie (closer to 7), aand t least 40in pike/tiger or over 22lb's. those are really the only fish i go for besides perch and crappies, but prolly wouldn't care to mount em.
I doubt I would choose to have anything mounted.  Maybe if I had a "personal" den.  I like browsing my PICs though ;D  Might be a different story if it were a state (or better) record.  Still, it would be a replica, not a skin mount.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #852 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:19 PM »
oh dont get me wrong....i love looking through my pics as well

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #853 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I think the size of a mounted fish differs entirely by each person. I could care less about length really. Ive had 3 pike go over 40 inches, and I'm still pretty young. It's the weight  that keeps me going not inches. I dig 20 pound pike..Same with walleyes, I've hit 9 pounds but that's it, 10 pounds is a wall banger. I know guys who have 12-14 pound pike mounted, it's a great fish, and looks great on the wall.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #854 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:00 PM »
i agree. i like weight over length, i mentioned the lenght for the pike and tigers because its cool to catch something almost as bug as you...lol

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #855 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:10 PM »
A trophy is in th eye of a beholder and that holds true from everything from big fish and bucks to ugly OL's ;D
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #856 on: Feb 14, 2012, 02:14 PM »
hahahahaha..i hear ya...i was just curious on what everyones "trophies" would be....what is your trophies?

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #857 on: Feb 14, 2012, 03:11 PM »
im after a 15 pound laketrout and if i do get one i will keep it and get it mounted.

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #858 on: Feb 14, 2012, 04:06 PM »
im after that 50+" musky and i would get pics and measurements and put it right back in the water.

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #859 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:21 PM »
now just if people like us would fish more often. I understand fishing for a meal, but you dont keep a 18lb pike for a meal in my opinion. I am going to research the whole "look-alike" mount instead of the actual fish. I'm curious and it would be good to have my mind made up bc any time out on cranberry you can catch a 20lb pike.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #860 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:14 PM »
now just if people like us would fish more often. I understand fishing for a meal, but you dont keep a 18lb pike for a meal in my opinion. I am going to research the whole "look-alike" mount instead of the actual fish. I'm curious and it would be good to have my mind made up bc any time out on cranberry you can catch a 20lb pike.
I would love to fish cranberry but have no idea where to even start..
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #861 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I had no idea last year but we just picked a spot and did ok we started in an area I looked at on map no one was close to us at first them by day light people moved in
Just enjoying life

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #862 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:40 PM »
im after that 50+" musky and i would get pics and measurements and put it right back in the water.

It's definitely fulfilling.. The one in my avatar was bouncing off 50".. I can't wait to chase muskies this summer.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #863 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:23 AM »
i agree blackmer.....no need to eat that big a fish...lol..anyways, let me know what you find out about the look alike mount. see if you can find the difference in price and ill see what i can find

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #864 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:25 AM »
northernnyice that is a very nice fish my PB is only 45" im hoping this is the year to hold one like yours:)

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #865 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:42 AM »
There is actually a guy who is doing (was doing?) replica mounts directly from photos.  Not the fiberglass replica mounts that have been around for a while.  If you take the proper measurements and the proper photo they come out pretty good and you have to get really close to realize that it is actually a 3d photo.  We have a couple in my parents lodge and my 25lb laker came out great. Prices were very reasonable iirc.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #866 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:50 AM »
There is actually a guy who is doing (was doing?) replica mounts directly from photos.  Not the fiberglass replica mounts that have been around for a while.  If you take the proper measurements and the proper photo they come out pretty good and you have to get really close to realize that it is actually a 3d photo.  We have a couple in my parents lodge and my 25lb laker came out great. Prices were very reasonable iirc.

you got any pics?
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #867 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:19 AM »
you got any pics?

Of the mount?  No I don't, I can take some this weekend if I head to my parents house.  I can tell you the company though, I would post it, but I'm not sure if that is allowed on the board.

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #868 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Whats the name of the guy/buisness?
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #869 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:41 AM »
damn ADK......nice fish!!! what lake it come from? u get it ice fishing?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.