New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373088 times)

Offline duke4x4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #600 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Man, the BL boat launch is at least a 1/2 mile from the bridges.  There is a link to a BL Google Map showing the few public access points that exist.
I'll post it again.  Black Lake
    thanks i appreciate it i guess i walked further than i thought

Offline duke4x4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #601 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:18 AM »
fish for pike that map is an awesome tool thank you for providing it !!!!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #602 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 AM »
We got 3 walleyes this morning. 18" 19" and 23". Here's a pic of the 23". And my buddy Dustin caught this small sturgeon on a jig pole. Atta boy Dustin!! This was his first fish through the ice ever.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #603 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Nice fish.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #604 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Fish for pike - is it safe to say a man could walk pretty much where ever on Black lake now ? with the exceptions of the narrow current spots. Or are there still bad spots. Thinking about maybe coming up in the dark and going out of Rollway headed west.
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #605 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:35 AM »
That sturgeon is cool!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #606 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Going back to H.P. for the night bite anyone planning on it??

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #607 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:04 PM »
That sturgeon is cool!
Thats what i was thinkin
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #608 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:31 PM »
hey guys, I've been studying the sturgeon around hawkins for a few years now and have tagged about 500 of them, if you catch one with an orange tag sticking out of it around the pec. fins, I would really appreciate the info from that fish.  just tag #, length, and the date caught.  thanks guys!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #609 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:54 PM »
hey guys, I've been studying the sturgeon around hawkins for a few years now and have tagged about 500 of them, if you catch one with an orange tag sticking out of it around the pec. fins, I would really appreciate the info from that fish.  just tag #, length, and the date caught.  thanks guys!
yes, and if you don't mind, i'd like just the caviar ;D nice fish gentlemen ;)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #610 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:00 PM »
We've got 5 or 6 in the last couple years. No tags though. I'll keep my eyes out for it tho, there will be more. I'm out right now the night bite should start soon

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #611 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:03 PM »
dang you guys catch some great fish up there  :tipup:  congrats on another great one, and good luck with the night bite, I look forward to more pics
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #612 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:08 PM »
AWESOME Sturgeon pic guys!!!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #613 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Fish for pike - is it safe to say a man could walk pretty much where ever on Black lake now ? with the exceptions of the narrow current spots. Or are there still bad spots. Thinking about maybe coming up in the dark and going out of Rollway headed west.
Don't know if I would say that.  How far west, or southwest?  From Rollaway, I would probably not hesitate to go beyond Conger Island, but nowhere near the islands above that.  What are you looking for?

Offline twodogs02

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is that battery failure?
« Reply #614 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Fished Black Lake for the first time this past weekend out of Rollway Bay.  Usually fish Onieda but no ice there so I plan on making another trip this weekend.    Have a 4X4, shanty, flasher and willing to give someone a ride out if they wish to come along.  My ice fishing partner just had surgery and will be sidelined for most of this season.

I learned a few things last weekend but by no means do I know the lake.  If you know the lake or are like me, first time up and need transportation, this could work for both of us.  PM me if interested.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #615 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:46 PM »
We've got 5 or 6 in the last couple years. No tags though. I'll keep my eyes out for it tho, there will be more. I'm out right now the night bite should start soon

I have been keeping a journal about wind/ baro pressure and fish activity.  I did not go tonight because everything pointed to a bite that would be closer to 11:00 pm, not saying there wouldn't be a short window around 5 or so but I don't think it would last very long if at all. let me know how you did I would like to write it in my journal. 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #616 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:53 PM »
I have been keeping a journal about wind/ baro pressure and fish activity.  I did not go tonight because everything pointed to a bite that would be closer to 11:00 pm, not saying there wouldn't be a short window around 5 or so but I don't think it would last very long if at all. let me know how you did I would like to write it in my journal.

You called it. No night bite. Zero.. First time we've ever come outta there with no eyes. Let me specify for your journal.. 515am-930am, 5:50am eye, 7:00Am eye, 7:30 eye..... 3:00pm-6:00pm, skunk

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #617 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:11 PM »
You called it. No night bite. Zero.. First time we've ever come outta there with no eyes. Let me specify for your journal.. 515am-930am, 5:50am eye, 7:00Am eye, 7:30 eye..... 3:00pm-6:00pm, skunk

I am starting to have faith in what I am doing, I am noticing a more consistant result with Walleye more then pike but Last night I was at H.P. and according to what I was seeing a bite should have or could have started at around 4pm and get busy around 7pm dye down some time before 9pm .  At 4:10 pm my boy hit the pike and we had a 22" at 5pm I lost a hog at 6:45 and my body lost a solid fish at 6:50 and that was it, Vex went COLD as ICE we left at 7:30...

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #618 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Any tricks to this journal?  I keep a log for bass fishing, two page log for every outing whether it is for one hour or ten.  Any suggestions on how to set it up?  My buddy and I have been talking about trying to put something together but havent found a setup that will work well yet.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #619 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:48 PM »
I keep one for muskies. Date, time, place, Baro, temp, water temp, cloud cover, and write a bit about the fishing. Add the fun and funny stuff you may forget the little details in 20 years.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #620 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:19 PM »
I keep one for muskies. Date, time, place, Baro, temp, water temp, cloud cover, and write a bit about the fishing. Add the fun and funny stuff you may forget the little details in 20 years.

Yup pretty much hit it on the head.  Only other thing I do is I have what I call a scratch pad to write stuff down quick and then later put it in a notebook that is much more legible.   I am also writting down Baro pressure on days I am not fishing just to see when there is a steady rise or fall just for practice at understand exactly what should happen, There may be nothing to this but I can tell you this much I am slowly starting to think that JUST MAYBE there is something to it.  Very similar idea to hunting whitetails, certain days you see them before dark and other days you don't has to be reasons other then variables (eg. -hunters bumping them)...  I guess time will tell.  Thanks for the info by the way anytime you want to know something pm me and I will tell you what I can (not saying I will be right just tell you how I have done during same conditions)...  For the record I think this Sunday should be interesting.... ;D

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #621 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:12 AM »
Don't know if I would say that.  How far west, or southwest?  From Rollaway, I would probably not hesitate to go beyond Conger Island, but nowhere near the islands above that.  What are you looking for?
I was thinking about Upper Deep Bay, Hauge Point area. Just wanted to get away from the groups of guys at rollway.
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #622 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:34 AM »

here is a pic from yesterday and a nice little extra

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:04 AM »
Decided to fish black yesterday instead of lake of the isles...went for alittle walk to get away from everybody and their brother at rollaway. It was a hard fish day but I managed a 1/4-1/2 pail blue gill and 12 crappies. 8 northerns were caught but only one around 30 inches. rest were mid to low twenties. all went back down the hole after a quick picture. One largemouth. As soon as the rain stopped the pannies were dead in the water. I had to bounce holes all day...catch a few than dink perch then catch a few then nothing but dinks. Threw on a green and white colored jig...nothing, switched back to a blue and white and the game was back on. Caught alot of small (7-8 inch) crappies in the am. Larger ones were at random all day. Fun day, nice to be away from the crowds and peoples mouths. Now its going to take about 2 days to get my gear dried out.

any other reports from yesterday?
Get out of the house...go fishing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #624 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:01 AM »
I was thinking about Upper Deep Bay, Hauge Point area. Just wanted to get away from the groups of guys at rollway.
Those are likely to be safe bets now.  I have never dis well there, good luck.

Offline hunter76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #625 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Fished Black Lake for the first time this past weekend out of Rollway Bay.  Usually fish Onieda but no ice there so I plan on making another trip this weekend.    Have a 4X4, shanty, flasher and willing to give someone a ride out if they wish to come along.  My ice fishing partner just had surgery and will be sidelined for most of this season.

I learned a few things last weekend but by no means do I know the lake.  If you know the lake or are like me, first time up and need transportation, this could work for both of us.  PM me if interested.
I would like to team up sometime for blake. I only fished mile arm bay before but no access anymore.

Offline MOONEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #626 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Looks like a pretty good day on the Ice.
"There is a fine line between fishing and just standing out on the ice like an idiot..."

Offline mcangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #627 on: Jan 18, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Does anyone now how the ice in wheat house bay is after last nights blow? There was 2" before the storm and I am hoping it made it thru to take advantage of the upcoming cold weather

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #628 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:44 PM »
was thinking about taking my boy to Mud Lake for a day of chasing flags! anyone fish there? good idea?
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #629 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:58 PM »
was thinking about taking my boy to Mud Lake for a day of chasing flags! anyone fish there? good idea?

If its the one right in Redwood, he should have a blast.  The Northerns are small but plentiful.  Just like any other place, there are slow days though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.