Author Topic: Permanent Portable 5x8 Fish House  (Read 38404 times)

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Permanent Portable 5x8 Fish House
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:47 AM »
For a few years I have been researching different fish house plans on Iceshanty and I finally decided to pull the trigger during this past Christmas break. The fish house needed to fit on my 5x14 trailer and be light enough to pull with my King Quad 500 (maybe push around by hand). I was extremely nervous to build the fish and find out that it would be too heavy, but after much planning and calculating the building materials weight, I decided that I wasted enough time and decided to build it.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Permanent Portable 5x8 Fish House
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:56 AM »
The beginning using a CAD program.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Framing

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Once the walls went up I decided to remove the hinges on the hatch covers. I had found a camper door and thought it was going to be awesome, but we ran into problems and decided to build doors. The ATV just fits through.  Next step was house wrap and siding.

I built the windows out of vinyl trim and acrylic sheeting. I was hoping for a frost free window. What I found out once we moved the fish house outside was that moisture got trapped in between the two panes and created a little haze. Hopefully it dissipates.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:05 AM »
At the last minute we decided to put a bump out on the side of the fish house for the heater. After working in the fish house last night (17 degrees F), the bump out was a good decision.

I did not like how wavy trim above the doors turned out so we rehung it.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:12 AM »
As things came together, I realized that the I needed to build brackets for towing. The brackets were then installed to the front and back curve.

We painted the curves and attached a round vent to the front wall and a small slider window in one of the doors. I received some plastic from the back of a beet truck from a friend and lined the bottom of the fish house hoping it will slide well on the snow and ice.

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:17 AM »
that is a great looking shack. very well thought out. what do you figure the final weight will be of your shanty?
flag em and tag em

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:18 AM »
The last step involved insulating the inside with 1/2" rigid foam and scrape aluminum sheeting around the bump out for a heat reflector. I hesitated putting in the computer fans until I tested them out last night. The temp at the floor was around 40 degrees constantly for about an hour. I temporarily installed the fans and let them run for a while. The temp on the floor raised to 50 degrees. I guess they found a permanent home. I placed two fans in the fish house and a light strip above each window. Each light and fan has its own switch.

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:27 AM »
As always, there are things that I would like to change, but I am really happy how the fish house turned out. I usually overbuild, so it was difficult to try and put the whole fish house together with weight in mind. The floor frame is constructed out of 2x3s and 3/4" plywood. The walls are constructed out of 2x2s ripped from 2x4s (cheaper). I was really excited to pull the house outside. At first it was really heavy pulling it off the dry warm concrete, but the second we hit the packed snow and ice it slid fairly well with two men. I would not want to drag it very far though. It was loaded on my trailer with a snatch block pulley on the front of the trailer and my ATV winch. I just drove the ATV perpendicular to the trailer and the fish house pulled up easily. Once we got home and just for fun, two of us pulled it off the trailer. Then we actually were able to pull it back up the trailer. That relieved a lot of my stress. The last test came as we hooked it up to the ATV with a rope and I pulled it all around the yard. PERFECT! I have not gone up to the elevator to weigh everything yet. I am also happy to report that I can push it sideways about a foot so drilling holes can be done outside.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:13 AM »
nice shanty

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Looks great. I have been contemplating something like that for years. Would really like to find out what it weighs in at and aslo if you don't mind me asking haow much do you think you have into it?

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Thank you. I weighed it last night and was shocked. 640lbs. Wow! This weight is with all my gear and I suppose with the extra materials like brackets. It is what it is but I love it!

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Going through receipts, they total $340.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Almost a dollar a pound. Very nice build. I am going to save it for ideas.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Good job!
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Took the fish house to the lake and back this weekend. Love having a permanent and it towed around the lake great. It was awesome leaving everything out and ready for the next stop. We drilled the holes outside and then pushed the fish house over the holes. I do need some advice for the hatch covers. They lift up while being pulled on the ice, which was a surprise. I was thinking about making the six covers into two, but I cannot think of a simple way to secure the hatches. (Two of the holes are for the fish finders, we only fish four holes). I also wonder if I should put a 2x4 laid flat on each side as a skid to give a little clearance. The house pulled so well on the ice I am not sure if the skid would be a good idea or not. We like not having too much distance from the ice to the fish house.  Thoughts?

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Super simple way to secure the hatches would be to nail or screw a small piece of wood to the floor right next to each hole, maybe 1" x 4", then just rotate it across the hatch when under way. If you want, could even do one on each side of a hole for extra security. Rotate off the hatch when its time to start slayin' em!

Moonman

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Don't I feel like an idiot. Just looked at your pics again and realized what I suggested was the method you were using....Wasn't it Rosanne Rosana Dana form the golden days of Saturday Night Live who used to say 'Nevermind'...

Moonman.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:22 PM »
I really like that vent.  Where did you get it?

Offline jt snipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I would use kitchen cabinet magnetic latch really nice job

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Moonman, I appreciate the help, but your not an idiot. I did take those wood turn latches off thinking that it would be tough to shovel if I had to drill inside. I might consider making ones out of metal so they are thinner.

Bobberdown, the vent came from the store where you "Save Big Money when you Shop at ....." I found it by the dryer vents. It works awesome! The vent just screws in or out easily.

jt snipe, Do you think the magnetic latches would be strong enough to keep snow out and stop the hatch from vibrating?

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Excellent build! Thanks for sharing!  :tipup:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Always fun to see what others are doing/planning.
Looks like a comfortable, warm shack.

MD

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Just some knowledge for you thermopane windows are pressurized with argon so they don't fog over it will let light in but odds are it will always fog over unless it's warm out then you may stand a chance at a clear window. I'm thinking about building something permanent too going to bum and idea or two from you!!

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Howdy all. Took out the shelf and installed a small plywood cabinet in the corner with a lock on it. I had problems with items staying on the shelf during transportation. This way it may be a mess in the cabinet, but at least everything will stay put. I also re-installed the hinges on the hatch covers with a metal bar to stop the hatch from opening.

Sunday was a very expensive day with a few things falling on the floor and then out a fish hatch while being towed. One Leatherman $70, one small 12 volt battery $20, 4 walleyes Priceless.

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Use barrel locks on the covers. Im going to build one like yours but im gonna use plastic hole covers and sleeves when I do build it.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Does the snow pile up on the cross braces when pulling in the snow? Or is it not you bad of an issue being so low

Offline Fire_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Some snow built up in the holes but I did not notice a pulling difference. I have the plastic covering the entire bottom of the floor except where I cut out for the holes.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:16 PM »
What kind of plastic covering did you use ? I've been looking into building something like this

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:24 AM »
That's a nice shack you built, good luck with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.