The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: What auger blade style do you prefer when using it on your Clam plate and Why  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I run a lazer style auger on my drill plate and have been happy with it but I would just like to hear what others use and why. I am thinking of trying either a k Drill auger(chipper style) or a mora type auger (shaver) or maybe even a Nils auger this year . There are so many choices that I would like to hear the pros and cons of each style from people that have tried the various blade styles.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I run a 8” mora mainly because blades are available all over,even gas stations carry them around here.not very cheap anymore but decent compared to others.i bought a mini nero for my plate but that thing cuts so easy by hand i leave the plate home when I bring it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Chipper slowest of the bunch..but can handle dirty ice..Mora/Shaver style can be hand sharpened with a little practice and fairly fast..Lazer stlye fastest of the bunch but a no no on dirty ice ..I have the Kdrill ..fast enough for me as my ice gets only 15 inches on average ..and i also fish some sand blown ice and brackish waters ..the Mora style would be my second choice and my recomendation for anyone just geting into the cordless drill set ups as its it's fairly inexpensive .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've run all those styles on hard ice up to 28". The 8" Mora (shaver) and 8" Lazer PowerMag (chipper) were used under an IceGator power head and both worked fine but the

Gator could probably have cut even with a spoon auger. Retired it because of weight issues and advancing age of the operator. Tried an 8" blue Nils alone under a Milwaukee Fuel

and it cut well but was sometimes a little grabby resulting in wrist injury. Also a little precious about dirty ice. The modern drills (Fuel and Octane) have enough torque to give you

a good beating hence got a Clam plate to try to reassert control. All those blade styles will perform well with your Clam plate. I watched some YouTube videos (Russian) of a guy

with a Mini Nero basically drilling with finger tip pressure. I brought in the 7" model to try and have now mothballed everything else including the Clam plate. I run the Nero by

hand until the ice gets up around 10". I'm 70 and it's really little effort though I don't drill many holes per outing. Thicker ice I mount the Nero to a Ridgid Octane through a Kovac

adaptor. Any brand of the new high torque drills will spin these bits fine. That Nero Russian blade steel isn't fazed by dirty ice either. I've got two seasons on the original blades

without sharpening though I'll touch them up here soon. You new guys starting out are welcome to spend a couple of grand on the learning curve as I did or just stroll to the finish

line.

We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
a caution with Mora blades on glare ice---they tend to skate if you are not careful.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
a caution with Mora blades on glare ice---they tend to skate if you are not careful.

They can. It helps to keep a sharp starting edge on the blades.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Last season was my first in using a cordless drill.  600 in.lb. turning a 4 and 6" laser with no problems...and I used no clam plate or any other holding device. I do use 2 hands because they can be a little grabby at the bottom of the hole.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
I use a Mora. It works great, is inexpensive, and is easy to get replacement blades. Its kind of like digging a hole in the dirt with a shovel, do you use the old reliable 20 dollar shovel or the one with a fancy paint job packaged nicely for 100 bucks. With the clam plate it doesn't make a difference what auger you use unless your worried about drilling a hole maybe 5 seconds faster lol.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have an 8” Lazer and an 8” Eskimo shaver. Honestly, both cut ice just as well as the other and if I could drill a hole with eyes closed without fear of amputating a few toes,  I’d be hard pressed to tell any difference. Maaaaaaaybe when he battery life starts to get really weak during the last 3-4 holes but at that point the style of blade REALLY doesn’t matter. A sharp blade is more important regardless of style.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
I’m using a KDrill, I just have a preference for chipper blades.  I skipped the clam plate,  I don’t think it’s really necessary.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I run a 7” lazer, no complaints

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
lazer because they also go on the yellow frabill auger I found for 5 bucks a couple years ago

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have both 6 and 8 inch k drills, they aren't the fastest, but they work consistantly and I like cutting overlapping holes which you can only do with a chipper. I have had bad luck with shavers, maybe I'm hard on my equipment or whatever.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
6" Orange Convertible Nils

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just used what I had. 8 inch lazer.  Had that auger for 11 years now! And still running original blades. I seen no sense of going out and buying a new auger, when what you have works great.
VERY happy with it and the octane.  Although down side, my arms have grown weaker from not hand drilling big ice. Lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.