Author Topic: Carhartt Bibs Question  (Read 16576 times)

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Carhartt Bibs Question
« on: Nov 15, 2008, 06:46 PM »
This is a question to everyone who wears Carhartt bibs. I've got a super warm pair of bibs i have for hunting. They're great for sitting in one place and not moving around much, but they're too bulky and heavy to wear for icefishing. I've got a Carhartt hooded jacket that im super happy with and am thinking of getting a pair of their bibs as well. I was thinking of getting either the brown arctic-lined ones or the black arctic extremes. Are the extremes worth the extra money? I'm not too worried about the extra money cuz i know these are gonna last me a while, but if they're almost identical, why waste $30? Also, I wear a 34 pant size. What size carhartt bibs should i get? If i order a 34 will they be really tight and not allow for room to wear more layers? Or should i get a larger size, like 38 or so? Thanks

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Carhartt Bibs Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Hello,
The answer is "NONE!"
I'm a professional Captain in the US Merchant Marine.
Mariners for centuries have known that, when in cold conditions, that cotton or any blend with cotton is the "DEATH FIBER". Mountaineers also know this. When it gets wet and its cold it will freeze to the body.
HYPOTHERMIA!!!
Carhatts are made with cotton and are notorious for soaking up water if not impregnated with a water repellent.
WOOL is the prefered fiber because even when wet it will retain body heat.
SILK, if you can afford it, is the best. I have 2 sets of long silk underware, then layer over that with lightweight wool shirt and pants, and then with my mariners heavy weather coat and bib made of manmade fibers which is light and water repellent. Oh! It is also a bright canary yellow. Yellow and orange are what we mariners wear because it is very visible if you go overboard. It's a Safety thing!! Can't call 911 when out to sea!
1 last thing, With first ice make sure you tell someone where your going and take a life jacket.
Well, that's my $1.99 on the subject.
Best regards,
SeaDog1

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Here's another thought for ya wedkarz. Take this from a looong time carhartt wearing person. I used to love them, you could hardly wear them out.And if they stayed dry, you were toasty warm. I made the switch to an ice armor suit a couple years ago. Man what a difference. Lightweight, warm, very comfortable.  I bought them for ice fishing and figured I would wear the old carhartt's for plowing and other work in the snow. Yep..you guessed it. I now wear the suit for just about any extended time spent outside in winter. There's no bulk or weight of the old bibs and jacket. another bonus is the late/ early season boating trips you may take. Lake ERIE is mighty cold during walleye spawning time in the spring. Seadog gave some very sound advice...I am just givin you another option. Best of luck to you this season .
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline gruntngrin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Just how warm is the ice armor? I have Columbia duck gear and its way warm.How does this stuff compare?

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Hello again,
Not sure about the stuff used for hunting.
35 years in the Merchant Marine and will stick with the rugged, light weight, warm, water proof, and resonably priced marine weather gear.
Go on line and check out marine supply companies for mariners gear.
Think you'll be surprised!!!!
SeaDog1

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:01 PM »
Just how warm is the ice armor? I have Columbia duck gear and its way warm.How does this stuff compare?
I am not familiar with Duck gear, but I do have Columbia products. So I cant say which is warmer. What I like about the ice armor is the layering you can do ( I actualy wear a columbia fleece liner under my suit) This is only needed on the coldest of days, and your fishing without a shelter. Otherwise I just wear a long sleeve shirt underneath. Again...the main benefit is the weight savings. I dont know what it's made from but it's light and warm.
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Carrharrt Arctic extreme is made of NYLON not duck. It sheds water like a mallard and will look like brand new for years. The only thing it wont hold up to is welder spatter, nylon melts.

I work outside in the worst that Minnesota has to offer, my arctic extreme carharrt has not let me down yet. There is allot of fancy hunting gear and outerwear on the market today, and I watch the guys at work destroy all of it. Clothing made for recreational activities will rarely hold up to the rigors of work.

YES!!! the arctic extreme is well worth the extra money.

They are so water resistant, I use the hose to give them a "redneck wash" while I am still wearing them. ;D

The side zippers go clear up to the points of your hips, this is nice and you will learn to love it.

Go try them on, carharrt seems to size a bit small on their bibs. If you wear a 34, you may want to get a even up to a 40. Remember to buy your cold weather gear a little loose, a tight coat is a cold coat.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2008, 10:05 PM »
i started icefishing over four years ago, and bought my carhartt arctic bibs my second year in.  they kept me warm on most days, but as an all-weather icefisherman, i encountered storms on numerous occasions that produced a very wet version of snow, that unfortunately soaked right through my carhartts, and made them even more heavy than they already are.  i walk a long ways to some of my lakes, and this added weight makes me think seriously about alternatives.  i have not found a suitable one yet, and am not swimming in financial resources, so will probably use the carhartts for another season, but i AM looking for something lighter and more water-repellent.  i do have to say though, as Skipper mentioned, these carhartts are some of the most durable, heavy-duty work clothing on the market.  but until i see some progress on carhartt's part to evolve to a lighter-weight, more water-resistant design, i will continue looking for something else.  good luck on your search, and let us know about your conclusions.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Well damn... i always thought that carhartts were pretty much standard uniform for most ice fisherman across the country. Guess not. But skipper does seem to make a good point that the extremes are made out of a water resistant nylon and not the duck material. I'll definitely look into ice armor suits and such or maybe get a good deal on some mariner's gear. I've still got some time to decide before i can get out on the ice in mid december...

Offline fishydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2008, 01:17 AM »
I've had my Artic Extremes for about 5 or 6 years and except for around the knees they look like brand new.  I guess they're probably a little heavy but I've never been cold and haven't had any problems with them getting wet. 

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2008, 02:07 AM »
I've had my Artic Extremes for about 5 or 6 years and except for around the knees they look like brand new. 

Mine get wore out from telling the wife I'm going fishing............... ..........Honey PLEASE let me go fishing :'(!!

Offline Icehunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice is Hot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:28 AM »
My concern about the nylon is that I am one that always seems to bump the heater and put a nice small burn hole in them.  I have been wearing Carharts for a few years now and am also lookking for something different due to them shrinking (ha, ha), ME getting larger.

I will make sure that what ever I get the side zippers go up to the hip as it sure makes it easier to take on or off over the boots.

Iceseeker
Fish, friends and beer, it does'nt get anty better!!

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Well..I was a carhartt guy...but I personally fish with the artic armor. But If I were going to get a pair of bibs.(Which I just bought a pair)...I bought a pair of Berne's. And anyone who says they wont hold up as good or better than carhartts is a fool...I worked two winters straight as a roughneck on the floor and in the derrick 90 feet up in the dead of winter on a rig with a pair of bernes..I put their brand to the test. And they get two wayyy big thumbs up from me...and at coming in at half the cost...They get my vote..I think I paid 45bucks for my pair of arctic bibs this year! Less than half of the price of the carhartts.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Well..I was a carhartt guy...but I personally fish with the artic armor. But If I were going to get a pair of bibs.(Which I just bought a pair)...I bought a pair of Berne's. And anyone who says they wont hold up as good or better than carhartts is a fool...I worked two winters straight as a roughneck on the floor and in the derrick 90 feet up in the dead of winter on a rig with a pair of bernes..I put their brand to the test. And they get two wayyy big thumbs up from me...and at coming in at half the cost...They get my vote..I think I paid 45bucks for my pair of arctic bibs this year! Less than half of the price of the carhartts.

+1 on the bernes. i have there winter bibs, combined with a carnhart artic coat and i'm never wet or cold!! actually the bibs and a fleece keep me warm enough most of the time that my carnhart coat sits in the car :laugh:

Trooper Bri

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2008, 12:32 PM »
I bought a set of the Carhartt Arctic Insulated bibs (R33) for ice fishing a few years ago when a local clothing store was blowing them out for the season. Got 'em for 70 bucks. And never even used them. A short time later my local tackle shop was blowing out their winter gear, and that's when i got my Ice Armor for cheap.

Just dug them out of the closet and looked at the label, only nylon and polyester. No cotton. But since they seem to be generally frowned upon for ice fishing, that's even less wear they'll see. Back in the closet with them. I consider selling them from time to time, but for the price i paid and the durability of Carhartt, i just can't do it.

I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. I went with a size 38 on the Carhartts. That leaves room underneath for a layer or two. If i lived in real cold country, i'd probably picked a size 40.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Something to add....Usually the brown carharts are insulated only to the waist line. From the waist up is just duck cloth.  And the black arctic wear has insulation all the way to the top.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I've been wearing black carhartts for about 5 years. I have absolutely no complaints. I'd like to have a reason to get the ice armor suit so I could look like a pro, but my black carhartts won't fail so that I have an excuse. I go out every weekend and once a year I go to devils lake in january. I've been up there when snow fell 10 inches and stayed warm. I really wish I could get the ice armor, I love the gloves and swear by them. My carhartts just keep working. They still look new, too. I can't see what size they are, the tag is the only worn part.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I wear insulated/waterproof/breathable Columbia snowboard pants, and layer fleece pants underneath them.  They have lots of pockets, and have worked great.  I got them on a really good sale, so the price was not bad either.  You should be able to find something comparable for $40-50.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I was thinking about gettign some Carhartt Bibs too.. But now that i read this idk for sure what to get anymore. The Forum has made my decision harder, but hopefully because of it ill make the right choice in picking out what ones ill get. Thanks Guys! :)

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I wear the brown insulated carhartt bibs and the Jacket out on the ice. They serve me well, if  inside my heated portable I just wear the bibs. I love em!

Offline tlau

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Used the extremes the last 3 years. came into some extra money last winter and bought artic armour and don't think I will wear the extremes again. Lighter and warmer.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I looked a little into the arctic armor suits and they look awesome. I know the floating feature will definitely be a selling point for my mom. Only problem is I've got about $200 dollars that I set aside to buy new bibs and some new ice fishing gear this year. Now i know i'd be able to find a little more money but over $300 dollars is a lot to spend on an ice fishing suit. I've got a few questions. What's the cheapest place to buy them? I'm a college student and every bit of money saved will go a long way. What are the differences between the three suits, the green, the red, and the camo? Is it just the color or som other features as well? Also, I'm about 6 ft tall 185 lbs. What's the best size for me? Thanks

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:00 PM »
One more question. Are there any retail stores that sell arctic armor in the chicago/SE wisconsin area? thanks again

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Does anyone think you'd NEED the whole suit or could a guy get just the bottom half?

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I have been wearing carhartts since I was knee high to a grasshopper and you were a grass hopper. I've always wore them for work/fishing. When I leave for work I put them on and dont take them off till I go to bed. At least my bibs stay on around the house, you never know when your going to get 12" of snow or the fish are going to turn on! What has always worked best for me is to spray my jacket/bibs with camp dry. something that lets it breath but repels water. I picked up some ice armor this year so will see how it works!
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2008, 06:04 AM »
Ill look at the size of my idi suit when I get home tonight. But Im 6'0 and 200lbs so we should be about the same size. And as far as color is concerned...doesnt matter...just preference. The suit is so worth the money..Last year I took it out on my quad.(honda 450r) and I took it riding down the snowmobile trail...I may have only been doing about 30 but; never been warmer..or more un-liked by snowmobliers...lol.... And as far as buying the bottom half...Id wonder if youd float upside down..legs and hind end up like a duck. i dont know. Id bet that there is some place over by chi town that has got to sell them. Oh and also...dont ride with your leg to close to the exhaust... :'( burnt a quarter size hole in the leg...I cried... :embarassed:

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2008, 06:28 AM »
This is a question to everyone who wears Carhartt bibs. I've got a super warm pair of bibs i have for hunting. They're great for sitting in one place and not moving around much, but they're too bulky and heavy to wear for icefishing. I've got a Carhartt hooded jacket that im super happy with and am thinking of getting a pair of their bibs as well. I was thinking of getting either the brown arctic-lined ones or the black arctic extremes. Are the extremes worth the extra money? I'm not too worried about the extra money cuz i know these are gonna last me a while, but if they're almost identical, why waste $30? Also, I wear a 34 pant size. What size carhartt bibs should i get? If i order a 34 will they be really tight and not allow for room to wear more layers? Or should i get a larger size, like 38 or so? Thanks

I own a pair of the brown bibs and will never buy a different pair of bibs..........I have owned them for 6 years now and even with holes in both knees I still stay warm enough to spend a whole day on the lake........if I was you I would buy them one or 2 sizes bigger so that you can wear layers..........you can always take layers off if you get too warm.................I think if I do buy a new set-up if will be that Ice Armor or whatever that suit is that is made by Genz..........the blue one or the red one which ever........I hear that they are supposed to be the warmest suit on the ice and for the crapty conditions..........ho pe this helps

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2008, 03:40 PM »
I was just lookin through the arctic armor website and came across this http://www.idigear.com/retailers.php. Its a list of retailers by state. Thought others might benefit from seeing it. I found one in schaumburg, about 30 min from my home. I'll have to check them out once i head back for thanksgiving break.

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2008, 05:09 PM »

For really cold days I have a Columbia one piece shell that I put layers under. It's lightweight and you can add/subtract layers as required.
 One of the funniest things I've ever seen on the ice was during a slushy day with standing water under the snow layer. If you had Carhartts
 on, they were sucking water up your legs like a sponge. When the sun went down, they started to freeze. I give them a 4 out of 5 stars
 for absorbency. If the weather is going to turn bad, any precipatation, they do not cut it.

Offline Doug D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2008, 07:07 PM »
I have been using the black bibs for awhile now. They work great when dry. They seem to soak up the water and get real heavy when wet. They are real warm. If there is a lot of slush or wet conditions I wear a pair of grundens rain gear which is absolutly wind and rain proof just a little stiff when cold. I also where both at work and between the two I stay dry and warm. I am to cheap to up-grade to the ice armour suite but I think I would if I had the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.