Author Topic: Jig molds  (Read 15674 times)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Jig molds
« on: Dec 01, 2003, 07:54 PM »
I've heard a few of you guys mention that you make your own jigs for ice fishing.  I want to start doing this.  If nothing else, it'll give me something to do when I can't get on the ice.  Just wondering if anybody can give me any advice on equipment.  I'm looking for small rocker and teardop molds mainly, but any shapes 1/64 oz or smaller would be good.  I'd also appreciate any advise on paint types that work well.  Any good places on the net that sell the molds, hooks, lead, etc.?  Any helpful hints would be great too.  I've done a little searching, but can't find anything small.  I've found a few places that sell 1/64 oz rocker molds, but I can buy those in bulk for 20 cents a piece and don't know if it's worth molding my own.  Thanks in advance for any help.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

PerchBusterSD

Re:Jig molds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2003, 09:08 PM »
I make about 40 different jigs, 2 jigging spoons. Been making them for about 12 years. There are many good paints, it just depends on what ones you like working with.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:16 AM »
PerchBusterSD, Where do you get your molds from?  Do you make them yourself?  I have been looking for years for ice fishing jig molds and have not found many at all.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:34 AM »
Check out http://www.jannsnetcraft.com and request their catalog.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:32 AM »
FullTimeDad is right, Janns is a good place to start. I have got molds all over, been doing this for 12 years. Every time i go out of town i stop at every bait shop i find and look around. You never know what treasure you may run into in bait shops. 2 years ago i invented a vise to hold every thing in perfect alignment while making ice jigs, i sell them for $50.00. I have tried tons of stuff over the years, hooks,paints,beads,etc. It's hard to explain how to make jigs cause it has taken years of trial and error and what places to buy at.Since i make jigs i never shop at Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops because their bulk items are too much money.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:46 AM »
Have you ever tried createing your own molds from blank do-it molds?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2003, 12:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've got a catalog on the way.  I might be back looking for more advise once I get started.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2003, 05:56 AM »
I mold alot of lures, not just ice stuff either- Do It Molds are the best in my opinion. Its very hard to find lure molds that small (1/64) already made, you almost would have to get custom made ones. The problem with lures that small is that they can be difficult to cast. Id invest in a bottom pouring leadpot too like a Lee Production, the production 2 is a nice melter, I may upgrade to one in the future for casting bigger lures (i use a Lee Production 1 now) A good source for molds is Ebay! Ive got a few out of production molds shipped for under 20 bucks. I like to cast lures in the 1/32 to 1/16 for ice fishing, you dont have to usally add shot to sink em. There are a few nice molds out there that work good for ice fishing. Take a look at Larva mold, and crappie jig mold (which is really a perch eye jig) from Do It. I picked up an out of production walleye jig mold that has no collar, the smallest size with a #8 gold hook makes a good marmooska or fat boy style horizantal bait. Ive also contacted Do It molds, and asked if anything is on the horizon for ice jigs/lures, expect a teardrop mold possibly for 2004! Another good company to get stuff from is Stamina (www.staminainc.com) As for paints, its really a personal choice. I really like the Protec Powder paints the work very well, and if you bake the lures after powder coating, theres no tougher finish than it. I also like to use an airbrush for doing multi color baits. Ill basecoat with pro tec, then do detail work with vinyl paint, and an airbrush. If i get a chance ill post some of my work, I think they came out pretty good.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:12 AM »
I got a Hilts mold, and after reading these posts I went downstairs and took my Dremel and reconfigured one of the cavities. Now Ive got a great Ice Jig thats a cross between a fatboy and Marmooska about 1/32oz. A peice of aluminun stock would make teardrop or spoon style jigs even if you just have one side and pour the lead in it carefuly. I'm working on that now.
Cold Feet

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2003, 07:22 AM »
i have modified a few of my molds, like fishdeepcreek says its very spendy to get custom molds made. i was told by one shop $500 for 1 mold, another said $75 so i sent the lure i wanted molded and 7 months later, still no mold. The dremel is a good tool to modify but i would start with a drill press then the dremel to finish so you dont end up with any flash.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:52 PM »
I havent cast any jigs in a long time. I tie my own flies for summer trout fishing, but dont use ice flies. I cast roundballs for my muzzleloader, but the problem I'm having is finding lead anymore. I use to get it at scrap yards and they dont want to handle it anymore. I tried a plumber suppy, and they very seldom get it in, I guess they are going to a lead free type of metal. They used to use it for cast iron piping, but thats getting to be a thing of the past. Its getting hard to find real black powder anymore also.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:03 PM »
hey kenelz:

Are wheel weights still real lead I know they used to be

Mike

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:14 PM »
We have an indoor shooting range here that just loves it when we help dispose of their lead. They have to pay to have it removed and we get a couple of five gallon buckets every few months.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2003, 03:22 AM »
Wheel weights are still lead (most are), but they also have a fair amount of antimony it, which makes it harder. I go to a tire shop nearby and get it, they give it to me by the bucketfull at no charge, they usally end up throwing them away, and are glad to give them to you. You just have to watch, because alot of weights are painted a sliver color too, theyll stink like hell when the melt down. Usally if you can scratch your nail into it, its not painted. I usally melt wheel weights outside, and mold them into ingots. Then use the ingots indoors so it dosnt stink. Soft lead is always the best, but very hard to find, and can be costly. Scrap yards are good places to look for it. Hard lead will work pretty well if you have a bottom pouring furnace, its hard to mold small lures with a ladle type pot. Dip ladles work too.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2003, 05:44 PM »
car batteries and marine batteries have lead plates in them
but that would be pretty nasty to mess around with.
just a thought .also i've seen a few molds on ebay .
have a good one ...............john

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2003, 06:16 PM »
Wheel weights are too hard for roundball, they are good for regular pistol rounds though. They would be fine for jigs also. I used to get lead pipes from scrap yards which were pure lead.

bomshack

« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2003, 08:52 PM »
I use a Lee Precision melter and like it a lot. I own a .75 cal. and have melted a pound or two. I would not recomend wheel weights in fire arms because there are hard alloys in them and these will increase the wear in the rifling of your barrel. In my opinion they would be just fine for jigs. I knew a roofer who would save old lead vent pipes from the roofs of buildings for me. When times were hard I went to the plumber and bought lead from them. Another neat thing to do is to add a small amount of candle wax(pariphine) to the molten lead. This helps to bring the impurities to the top. When skimmed off you will have nice and shiny lead. I save the scrap and turn it in. In Wisconsin we are able to turn in small amounts of Hazardous waste at no charge. 8)

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2003, 08:19 AM »
I am pretty lucky, my father in law is a retired plumber with a half garage 6 feet high of 5 pound ingots. They fit right in my 20 pound pot.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:31 AM »
I work in a machine shop and have made molds in the past. the newest mold is for  depth sounders with alligator clips molded into them. I have a life time supply of sounders.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2003, 12:34 PM »
Hi Gang!
   Dont forget to use a respirator when melting the lead.
  If you breathe  the fumes it is real easy to get lead poisioning.  It really doesn't take alot of fumes to get you really sick.  lead stays with you in your body also use rubber gloves when handeling lots of lead.  Just thought you guys should know the down side. Non painted ready to paint lead jigs are readily avaliable  and are cheap. I am trying to now find steel jigs and weights as I am now trying to use less and less lead.
  Thanks
   Da-Roc

SafeIce

« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2003, 05:57 PM »
I have had good luck making mine using #10-12 jig blades from Net Craft.

All you do is soder the hook to the blade and have a perfect jig.

Some of Net Craft's Blades have a hook holder that holds the hook while being soderd.

I also use the blades with epoxy rather then soder also ;D

Offline Budlike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:46 AM »
I have had good luck making mine using #10-12 jig blades from Net Craft.

All you do is soder the hook to the blade and have a perfect jig.

Some of Net Craft's Blades have a hook holder that holds the hook while being soderd.

I also use the blades with epoxy rather then soder also ;D

NorthernMich, is Net Craft online and if so do you have a URL, ? Thanks , Bud

SafeIce

« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Hello Bud, Here is the website.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Have fun!

Jim

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:08 AM »
Hi Gang!
   When I was a kid we used to make our own artifical lures .  They were called creepy crawlers do you guys remember those.  They worked great for bait I wonder if they still sell them?
   Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.